• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl Flahavan... the latest

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,10:10)]The players the club value should be held under longer contracts unlike the 6 month, one or two years which the board are currently handing out.

Flav's is one of the clubs best players who saved us a number of points last year, I dont know the clubs reasons for not offering him a contact I can only speculate. But if money isnt an issue then what the fcuk are they up to
mad.gif
The club isn't in a secure enough financial situation to offer deals of longer than two years though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,10:10)]Flav's is one of the clubs best players who saved us a number of points last year
Like Northampton and Bristol Rovers at home and Lincoln away .....

He's no more or less valuable than any other squad member on last season's form, and if the club's financial position isn't secure enough to offer longer term contracts, can't see why he should get preferential treatment over others.

We're a much better team with Flav's in goal, and if we cant keep our better players on longer contracts then we really fighting a losing battle as at the end of each season we're see our better players disapear for nish. So the whole process starts again, exactly how long are the contacts of tilly and brush again ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,10:38)]We're a much better team with Flav's in goal
Sorry, but that gets my vote for pointless comment of the day...

Much better team than what, exactly?

Much better than when Emberson or Robinson was there? Well yes, of course. No one arguing with you there. They've both been released.

Much better than it could be with another keeper? Nobody knows that until we've tried.

Put it this way - I've only been watching the Shrimpers for 13 years, and in that time I've seen at least 2 keepers who were better than Flav.

As I've said many, many times before... we signed Sammy when we were in the 4th Division; we need to be signing a keeper who is just as good if we're to be serious about keeping it tight at the back.

And, before you ask, Flavs is nowhere near as good as Sammy was. In fact, he doesn't even really come close.

Sorry if that disappoints you, but it's an open & shut argument... Flavs isn't fit to lace Sammy's boots.

wow.gif

Matt

Sammy was a better keeper than Flavs and your point is
rock.gif
?

I was commenting over the past two to three years when we didnt have Flav's in goal we looked far more vunerable at the back ? Thus making us a weaker team, I cant see us picking up a goal keeper on a free who is equal or better than flavs

Also Matt your love for Sammy is worrying, was you not at Oxford at home on the friday night ?

i cant believe you "people" u make me laugh calling your self supporters all you do is whine about flahavan he is a quality keeper stop going back in history and get behind him 4 once, flahavan is the best shot stopper in this division nuff sad

you's probably think simon brown is a good goalkeeper

We've looked vulnerable at the back all season whoever was in goal. A total absence of communication and command of the area, especially at dead ball situations, was prevelant throughout.

Under the present managerial regime, if any player wants a longer term contract, they have to prove themselves worthy of it. Darryl, quite simply, did not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,11:03)]Sammy was a better keeper than Flavs and your point is
rock.gif
?

I was commenting over the past two to three years when we didnt have Flav's in goal we looked far more venerable at the back ?
"venerable" as in "command respect"?

How right you are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,11:03)]Sammy was a better keeper than Flavs and your point is
rock.gif
?

I was commenting over the past two to three years when we didnt have Flav's in goal we looked far more venerable at the back ? Thus making us a weaker team, I cant see us picking up a goal keeper on a free who is equal or better than flavs

Also Matt your love for Sammy is worrying, was you not at Oxford at home on the friday night ?
My point is that the last time we built a side which got promoted out of Division 4, we had a keeper playing for us who was a lot better than Flavs. I don't know what your "Oxford on the Friday night" reference is, but if you're thingking of attempting to argue that Sammy was no better a keeper than Flavs, I suggest you stop there...

My love for Sammy? Quite simply, I loved seeing a goalie between the Southend posts of whom I thought "bloody hell, the opposition are going to have to do really, really well to get past him." I loved seeing a keeper who seemed to claim the ball at almost every corner, who caught crosses, who made specatcular saves, who shouted at his defence and organised them - who, basically, totally dominated his area.

I can assure you, I have never thought those things about Flavs. Flavs is a decent shot-stopper. And that's it.

As for the past 2-3 years... erm, well, yes. Flavs is a bit better than Danny Gay (who played for Hornchurch last year), better than Emberson (who will probably retire) and better than Robinson (who's a kid).

Apart from that, we've not had anyone else in the last 2-3 years, have we? Prior to that we had Andy Woodman... erm, who I thought was better than Flavs.

rock.gif

FWIW, since we have no other keepers at the club, I think we should hang onto Flavs. However, if he's the undisputed No.1 keeper at the club again next season - as he has been since he arrived in late 2000 - I shall be extremely disappointed.

We can, and we must, do better than him next year. Or he must do better himself. Because when I think back (for example) to the Yeovil game at Roots Hall... well, that sort of goalkeeping display simply won't do next year if we're to be genuine promotion contenders.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 08 2004,11:09)]flahavan he is a quality keeper stop going back in history and get behind him 4 once, flahavan is the best shot stopper in this division nuff sad
Nuff said? You what?

Being a decent shot-stopper didn't stop Flahavan from conceding the sort of comically pathetic goal like his first against Yeovil at Roots Hall, where he punched the ball with all the strength and conviction of a 5 year-old girl.

As for the "stop going back in history" comment... my point, and I'll repeat it for you, is this:

The last time we were in the bottom division, we signed a keeper called Paul Sansome. He was good enough to get us out of the bottom division. We need to find someone as good as him in 2004-05.

For the avoidance of doubt, Flahavan is not as good as him - not by a country mile.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,11:22)]touched a nerve ?
No you haven't.

I just find the Flav adoration totally bizarre. He is a really flawed keeper, and yet as soon as you criticise him, the likes of "Darryl 4 England" come on here and spew out the sort of rubbish like:

i cant believe you "people" u make me laugh calling your self supporters

It's pathetic. All I'm saying is that last time we got promoted out of this division we had a really, really good keeper. So, logic suggests that we'll need to get a really, really good keeper again if we're to challenge for promotion this season.

And unfortunately, Flavs doesn't fit the bill.

sad.gif

Matt

Thats cool Matt thats your view, I can see Darryl is all over the shop sometimes with crosses, but his shot stoppin and one on ones he seems to come out on top more often than not. I just cant see us finding anyone better. I for one would be quite happy with the goalkeeper position next year if its occupied by Flav's. Then all we have to worry about is the other 10 spots

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 08 2004,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,11:22)]touched a nerve ?
No you haven't.

I just find the Flav adoration totally bizarre.  He is a really flawed keeper, and yet as soon as you criticise him, the likes of "Darryl 4 England" come on here and spew out the sort of rubbish like:

i cant believe you "people" u make me laugh calling your self supporters

It's pathetic.  All I'm saying is that last time we got promoted out of this division we had a really, really good keeper.  So, logic suggests that we'll need to get a really, really good keeper again if we're to challenge for promotion this season.

And unfortunately, Flavs doesn't fit the bill.

sad.gif

Matt
I too am amazed at the "following" he has. He is part of the problem not part of the solution.

If we're happy to finish 17th again, he might just do. If we want better, and I hope we do, then a commanding keeper is a must.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,10:10)]The players the club value should be held under longer contracts unlike the 6 month, one or two years which the board are currently handing out.

Flav's is one of the clubs best players who saved us a number of points last year, I dont know the clubs reasons for not offering him a contact I can only speculate. But if money isnt an issue then what the fcuk are they up to
mad.gif
Can we elaborate,it is hard trying to remember the games when Darryl saved us points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Got any Spall shorts @ June 08 2004,11:35)]Thats cool Matt thats your view, I can see Darryl is all over the shop sometimes with crosses, but his shot stoppin and one on ones he seems to come out on top more often than not. I just cant see us finding anyone better. I for one would be quite happy with the goalkeeper position next year if its occupied by Flav's. Then all we have to worry about is the other 10 spots
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have a contract. Last close season, and then early season with Emberson, was an embarrassing farce. For that reason alone he should be retained.

But if you compare his performance in the LDV final to that against Yeovil at home, one can only draw one conclusion: Flavs only really responds when he's put under pressure. He had absolutely no competition for his shirt last season, and his performances showed that.

Only when the pressure of being in the LDV final was upon him did he really "step up to the plate" and prove how good a keeper he can be.

For that reason, I think he should be kept, but I also think we should sign someone who is at least as capable as he is. And then they can fight, and fight properly for the No. 1 shirt.

Because right now, Darryl's freewheeling... and, as a result, he turns out the sort of displays, like that against Yeovil, which are frankly redolent of Prudhoe in his "prime", as it were...

wow.gif
ghostface.gif

Matt

Flahavan, like any other keeper, has his shortcomings and his strengths.

He is ok, but a few inches too short.

Yes we can all criticise but at the end of the day, the central defenders can be a lot more protective of him by attacking the ball more, something which doesn't always happen. If you are playing in front of a keeper that you know isn't going to come for the ball, then the centre half's job is to make damn sure his head gets to the ball before the attackers and then push the defence out as fast as possible to allow the shots to come in, which is where Flavs excels.

In the past we have defended far too deep, and that is not playing to Flavs strengths. If he deosn't command, then a centre half should.

IMHO Edwards will.

we need a goalkeeper that can keep him on his toes, all the times and we should agree on that but at the same time the
club should already have offered a new contract to darryl.
a bit unfair, considering he did reasonably well for us, after
"calamity" emberson dreadful start of the season.
smile.gif

Back