• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 Southend United - The Buildbase FA Trophy

First half, first 20 minutes we looked good without really creating anything, then a good ball across the 6 yard box from Rush, and a header from someone were our bets chances (if you can call it that)

The second half substitution from Daggers meant that for the first 15 mins of the second half they played much higher up the pitch, camped outside our box pinging the ball about without doing very much, but a clipped ball into the box hits one of theirs on the back of his head and it creeps in off the post.

A few minutes later, and Coulson is caught out in the left back position and the ball is fizzed across the 6 box ( I ithink Arnold may have come off his line for this) and it's 2-0 and game over.

Our best effort of 2nd half was from Dennis which their keeper tipped over.

As others have said , unavailability due to suspensions and injury, meant that the starting 11 and subs were not our best, but you can still see the improvement, and we are not getting overun, and the first half was pretty even, with us playing the better football first 20/25 mins.

We lost shape a bit through the subs, and Ollie looked exposed in the middle, and gave the ball away on a couple of occasions, and misplaced a few headers.

Arnold 6; not much to do, came and kick intercepted a couple of times.
Demi 7; better than of late but not as good as Tues;
Coulson 6; Ok first half, but tired, and mistake for their 2nd
Hobson 6; got caught on the ball dribbling a couple of times (why)
Kendale 6; did ok first , then was exposed when coulson went off. One for the future?
Ralph 7.5; my MOM just got a few good blocks in , and got forward well first half
Gard 6 ; another who's first half was better than second. They upped their game second half, and I think Lewis got targetted.
Fergusson 6; Did ok , with his lethargic looking style , that makes people think he is worse/slower than he is
Rush 6; would have been higher score if he had carried on as he played in the first 20 mins, faded..........badly
Dennis 7; looked the most likely of the front three, tired second half.
Dalby 6.5 There is a player there, but was well marshalled today.

subs; Egbri 5.5 blind alley runs , no thanks, should be one that makes way in the summer (contracts permitting)
Walsh; 5.5 ; couple of non productive runs
Clifford; 5; all he had to do when he came on was mark up for corners, and he was marking the near post on a corner from their left. I screamed at him to get on the back stick, the runner (who left hobson for dead) nearly scored from the back peel off ( who coaches)

All in all enjoyable watch without the league pressure , maybe 1-0 would have been fairer

We were trying to continue with our favoured 343 and kev m partly picked who he could to fill the gaps in that formation from who was available.
Unfortunately coulsons lack of fitness and speed is a big problem and kensdale looked way out of his depth at the moment. Hopefully he can improve.I
rush started well but he and eggbri just get outmuscled, outjumped and are too easy to deal with for the opposition who really weren't anything special.
As many on here point out - our strongest team are perfectly capable of out playing and beating most in this league, but we simply have no depth in quality when one of two are out.
Murphy's knee will hopefully feel better by Friday (not missing because of the ankle tackle as most seem to think ) and Neal will be back and id guess Davies will get a run instead of JD.

Onwards and upwards - we didn't risk any players recently back from injury, we gave the management team a chance to look at some others, we can now concentrate on the important matter of staying up, which I am sure we will do.

First 25 mins or so pretty decent. The rest, meh.

We seriously need some attacking signings, wide and central asap.

Arnold - Played
Demi - Played
Hobson - Played
Lopata - Rested (just back from Injury) replaced by Kensdale used against Yeovil
Ralph - Played
Neal - Cup Tied replaced by Ferguson used against Yeovil
Atkinson - Injured
Clifford - Rested (just back from Injury) replaced by Gard many calling for him to start
Dennis - Played
Dalby - Played
Murphy - Injured replaced by Rush, many calling for him to start

The team v Yeovil and who played today or not, for those slating the management team

So what would your starting 11 be then?

I am interested to see what team you would have picked so the fans today deserved better?

It's not for me to pick the team, I'm not the manager. Do you believe that was our best team we could have put out? I'm guessing you have all the inside info who can and can't play!!

Over to you....

Started off well and thought we was in it. But as time went on daggers started to boss the midfield and were winning the midfield battles. Rush started well but became anonymous. Egbri has quick feet and pace but zero end product and just gave the ball away. The goals were fairly soft and were a result of continued pressure. Its rubbish competition and didbt want to go to Wembley anyway.

It's not for me to pick the team, I'm not the manager. Do you believe that was our best team we could have put out? I'm guessing you have all the inside info who can and can't play!!

Over to you....
Now now, don't be shy. You said you were disappointed in Kev today for not playing his strongest side. This means you think his selections were wrong.

So what team should he have picked?

You aren’t serious surely? Two sets of adolescents as bad as each other. When they record the away fan numbers, they need to deduct the 150 who had no interest in watching the football.
My main point was alerting to the trouble apparently only I had seen/experienced at Dagenham. But friendly club, great hospitable fans apparently.

For some reason ours decided to embarrass the club and take the bait.

I’ll just talk about the football and not about the spotty adolescent kids front both clubs that needed a day out because legoland was shut.

First 20 mins Southend had good pressure and possession but did very little with it bar one chance which should have had someone on the end off, lack of a decent striker I guess. Thought after that there was only one winner, our tricky forwards had too much for the Southends slow back line and please get rid of tubs Coulson absolute liability. Really good tempo from the shrimpers compared to the game in October and I’m sure you will improve for next season, specially with John Still as head of recruitment. Great turnout from your lot less the 100 or so stone island kindergarten ultras.

Takes 2 to tango and all that. Our lot weren't exactly little angels this afternoon. Six of one half a dozen of the other I'd say. Although I was more in the "Dagenham is freezing, I wanna go home" camp, rather than what our mob were singing.

Although, in 40 plus years of attending football games, today I saw something I'd never seen before. That sandwich lobbed on the pitch really made me chuckle.
I believe the young lad who lobbed the sarney has been arrested and charged with hampering the police.

Daggers are a bit of a Bogey team with us
We only had half a team out! We will beat them next time out with a Full Team.
Blues XI: Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Coulson (Clifford 79’), Dalby, Ferguson, Gard, Rush (Egbri 60’), Demetriou (C), Dennis (Walsh 83’), Kensdale. Subs Not Used: Andeng Ndi, Howard, Lopata, Kinali

We must have been poor - nobody has blamed the referee!
We only had half a team out! We will beat them next time out with a Full Team.
Blues XI: Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Coulson (Clifford 79’), Dalby, Ferguson, Gard, Rush (Egbri 60’), Demetriou (C), Dennis (Walsh 83’), Kensdale. Subs Not Used: Andeng Ndi, Howard, Lopata, Kinali

Back