• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Professional footballers "dont like playing at home", it's Roots Hall with 4,000 fans not the bloody San Siro.

but didnt Ron state we had the best team spirit for years......F off the lot of em

Professional footballers "dont like playing at home", it's Roots Hall with 4,000 fans not the bloody San Siro.

Exactly. What a ****ing joke of a comment. Try giving us a win one of three home games against three absolute **** sides and maybe you will get some support.

I know there was every reason to moan about last night and I do think the North Bank gave a bloomin' good account of themselves all things considered, but I do absolutely hate the way elements within the crowd get straight on a player's back. I heard it yesterday, straight on at Dave Martin from the off. Barker, Spicer and Tomlin were also subjected to the same treatment, yet Phillips, who I thought had a shocking game (goal apart) wasn't.

I think that is what was meant. Going 1 down so quickly was bound to have an effect on the team, and they just never recovered, and I do think that people need to accept that some of their negativity towards the team helped worsen this situation. Their heads were down from the off, they were playing against 11 men, a ref and the majority of the crowd for a lot of the time.

I really hope though that Coughlan gives them an absolute bollocking today and tells them to man up because there were too many out there that looked as if they didn't give a damn. Freddy has to start on Saturday.

If some of those players don't like playing at Roots Hall, get rid of them. I'm sure they'll be much happier playing in the Conf South in front of 300 people. Cos after the last couple of home performances thats the level most of them should be playing at !!!

No pride desire or commitment, disgusted with them.

Coughlan to start next game that's what I say. Give me a shirt as well while your at it, I don't mind playing at home. Absolute disgrace to football. I guarentee most on here could name the players that said it as well.

Just maybe the reasons they donot like playing at Roots Hall is not because of the crowd or Paul Sturrocks tactics,it could be behind the scenes which causes worry to them and their jobs.

These players are not on the £ 100 k a week and can go and join another club on a whim, most are average at best players who would find life very hard outside the Roots Hall ground, as many players have found when the grass seemed greener.

I would agree on pitch performances have been at best average,but all though we like to think we know what goes on behind the scenes and have tittle tattle given to certain posters to divulge,at the end of the day,I bet a lot more is covered up,and after many twitter gate cases,I bet the riot act has been read to those that want to stay part of the set up
We supporters have been spoilt over the past few years with promotions,cup wins,finals, so perhaps a year or two consolidation in this division is what we need to take stock again,at the end of the day,only a certain number of teams can go up each year,and though throwing money into a club is not necessary the winning formula ,it certainly does help on occassions if used correctly
Re the Freddy situation,unless we find a Gower,Maher,Gray,Goater combo to assist him then those harping on the old Freddy will be sorely disappointed

UTS

Last edited:
I know there was every reason to moan about last night and I do think the North Bank gave a bloomin' good account of themselves all things considered, but I do absolutely hate the way elements within the crowd get straight on a player's back. I heard it yesterday, straight on at Dave Martin from the off. Barker, Spicer and Tomlin were also subjected to the same treatment, yet Phillips, who I thought had a shocking game (goal apart) wasn't.

I think that is what was meant. Going 1 down so quickly was bound to have an effect on the team, and they just never recovered, and I do think that people need to accept that some of their negativity towards the team helped worsen this situation. Their heads were down from the off, they were playing against 11 men, a ref and the majority of the crowd for a lot of the time.

I really hope though that Coughlan gives them an absolute bollocking today and tells them to man up because there were too many out there that looked as if they didn't give a damn. Freddy has to start on Saturday.

This, absolutely this. The way people get on players backs from the off it's small wonder some players confidence is shot to pieces.

We need people who are Southend through and through to step up to the plate and show they want the best for the club. For as long as we have to pay players to play for Southend, that buck stops with the fans. It's the same at any club. Why should we be different?

Well its hardly the first time players have said they don't like playing at RH, its been happening for years.

That said I didn't see much better at Morecambe and you can't get much further away from RH

Last night was shambolic. No apparent desire and certainly no passion from most.
I was also shocked at the half time subs warm up which involved the players standing
in a circle, having a laugh and playing keepy uppy.
All this whilst Aldershot subs had a practice match with bibs and the goalkeeper was
being warmed up professionally.
Really disappointed that we are looking such an amateur outfit which is now spreading
onto the pitch.

I do absolutely hate the way elements within the crowd get straight on a player's back. I heard it yesterday, straight on at Dave Martin from the off. Barker, Spicer and Tomlin were also subjected to the same treatment, yet Phillips, who I thought had a shocking game (goal apart) wasn't.I really hope though that Coughlan gives them an absolute bollocking today and tells them to man up because there were too many out there that looked as if they didn't give a damn. Freddy has to start on Saturday.
Agree with this completely. In the West, someone was giving Martin real grief yet I thought out of all of them, he was one player who was creating chances (at least 2 excellent crosses into the box that I can remember)

This, absolutely this. The way people get on players backs from the off it's small wonder some players confidence is shot to pieces.

It's the same at every club though. I've been at Old Trafford and seen fans have a go at Giggs!

I think Sturrock has always been commenting on our support when really I think he should concerntrate on actually having any idea on tactics on the pitch. He commented after the Barnet game saying The North Bank were singing negative songs to the players but I didn't hear one, during that game the only negative chant was about Martin.

I think Sturrock and some of the players get it easy from us fans, any other team would not be supportive after some of the terrible football we have seen.

As for the players not liking to play at Roots Hall I think they should grow up, its not their choice its their job so put up or shut up!

The most worrying thing for me is no matter who we play Sturrock is full of excuses before and after the game. To be frank I don't want to hear excuses left right and centre I want to hear a positive attitude and someone who isn't going to list out how many injurys we have etc.

I think Sturrock has always been commenting on our support when really I think he should concerntrate on actually having any idea on tactics on the pitch. He commented after the Barnet game saying The North Bank were singing negative songs to the players but I didn't hear one, during that game the only negative chant was about Martin.

I think Sturrock and some of the players get it easy from us fans, any other team would not be supportive after some of the terrible football we have seen.

As for the players not liking to play at Roots Hall I think they should grow up, its not their choice its their job so put up or shut up!

The most worrying thing for me is no matter who we play Sturrock is full of excuses before and after the game. To be frank I don't want to hear excuses left right and centre I want to hear a positive attitude and someone who isn't going to list out how many injurys we have etc.

This has ****** me off since the day he joined tbh. Every team we seem to play are better than what their league position is. Now I know that going into a game saying "yeah we're gonna win" is very unproffesional and I wouldn't expect him to say that, but these are games that we SHOULD be winning if we are to be serious contenders this season.

Haven't plenty of Southend players said exactly the same? I remember Mike Marsh saying that his squad hated playing at Roots Hall and am certain I remember hearing it about players towards the end of Tilly's reign.

I don't think we're any more negative than fans at most other clubs. I do though think that for whatever reason Roots Hall is a quiet ground so negative voices rarely get drowned out.

Well I was disgusted with myself last night for daring to suggest to Smith in a less than complimentary manner that he (being 6ft4 and wearing goalkeeper gloves) mightve caught that corner from which they scored. As a result I am too ashamed to attend on saturday so hopefully he will have a stormer.

Thought they were supposed to be professionals- not put off by a few negative comments when they weren't playing well! They have to show the passion before the crowd can really get behind them. Thought the support was good last night anyway especially from the North Bank considering how they were playing.

It's very rare I agree with anything you say, but I agree with this. People, not all, but some, need to have a really good look at themselves. Shouting abuse simply won't make a player play better. All it will do is make them more anxious next time, which in all likelihood will make them make more mistakes.

What was telling for me was how quiet the crowd were after the penalty miss. There was no trying to get behind the team, it was almost as if we had decided we weren't going to win so there was no point in making an effort.

I do agree, however, that fans react to what is happening on the pitch. That has to be the catalyst that gets the crowd going. However, in the absense of that (after all last night nothing on the pitch inspired me) it is up to us to get behind the team and inspire them. It works both ways.

Before anyone thinks I am being holier than thou, I have to say I include myself in all of this. I'm not the kind of person to start singing if no-one else is, but I am certainly someone that will get involved once something is started. Maybe we need a number of people in each section that will get the rest of us started?

Now, this leads me on to something that may seem controversial. I think having TBV in the North Bank is counter productive. When they were in the West Stand (where I sit) a lot of the time some of the rest of the West stand would join in. Since they have moved, the West stand is deadly silent; there is no-one in there that will start people off. Yes, TBV sing and make a noise, but they're now the only ones, whereas before they would have a lot of people in the West join in with them.

Don't get me wrong I will be the first to join in any chants but not always easy these days sitting in the South Lower with about 5 other people now the atmosphere is not great. I pay good money which I have earned for my season ticket. I buy a season ticket to support my club and to be entertained. When I do not get entertained or value for money I am entitled to air my views. If you bought something in a shop which was rubbish and not what you hoped for would you cheer go back to the shop and say thanks for that and here is some more money - No - you would go back to the shop complain and maybe ask for you money back.
I agree this works both ways and the players do need our support which i would give if I felt they were actually trying but last night I thought was absolute pants and not worthy of the entrance fee.

Back