• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Costs of Relegation to National South?

Macclesfield are the phoenix club for Macclesfield Town who were wound up by the High Court in 2020. Starting from near the bottom in the ninth tier NW Counties Premier League they have had two successive promotions and are in the playoff positions in tier seven now, so the full-time status is working well. Good luck to them, their club was royally screwed back in 2020.
In case anyone is showing sympathies towards Macclesfield,I feel I should remind folk that :-
a) Sol Campbell did passably well there before being binned and then Ron eventually let himself be persuaded to employ him.
b) Robbie Savage seems to be the controlling interest at the club.

We'd definitely stay full time. Most ex-league clubs who've dropped that low have stayed full-time for at least a season or two in an attempt to get back quickly. With the new owners and decent fan base (I still think we'd get around 6000 if at the top of the table) I think it would be affordable for a while. I think Stockport did eventually resort to part-time but they were in a huge mess and got entrenched in the NLN until the new ower came along. Not sure if Torquay are full time this season? I'm sure Yoevil are.

In case anyone is showing sympathies towards Macclesfield,I feel I should remind folk that :-
a) Sol Campbell did passably well there before being binned and then Ron eventually let himself be persuaded to employ him.
b) Robbie Savage seems to be the controlling interest at the club.
How is that not cause for sympathy?

Nothing could ever stop me from supporting Southend United and Southend only

I've always been in the minority of fans who support Southend and not a prem team on the side. so even if we are in the NLS I'll still support.

But in terms of revenue, it will be a massive drop. we would be semi-pro for one thing
I've only ever supported Southend since moving to the town in 1968. Very few of my match day mates over the years would admit to supporting a Premiership team.
Having worked regularly in Brussels for about 15 years the only other team I've watched (but not supported) fairly regularly was the oddly named Racing White Daring Molenbeek who played in the fourth and fifth tier of the Belgian league.

I've only ever supported Southend since moving to the town in 1968. Very few of my match day mates over the years would admit to supporting a Premiership team.
Having worked regularly in Brussels for about 15 years the only other team I've watched (but not supported) fairly regularly was the oddly named Racing White Daring Molenbeek who played in the fourth and fifth tier of the Belgian league.
RWD Molenbeek are back in the top division of the Belgian Pro League now, I was in Brussels last summer and saw their first game back.

Torquay in big trouble now. Administration looms.
They had similar circumstances to us in a way; an owner that refused to talk to the fans chasing a new ground. Their timing is poor though, the current rules say that if they are still in admin by the league AGM then it's instant relegation regardless of where they finish in the table. They'll likely get a points penalty this season too.

Undoubtedly revenue would be lost.

We are averaging 6500 this season. We aren't getting that in the national League south.

Maybe 4500-5000 and ticket prices would definitely drop. Nobody is paying £22 on a matchday for that level. Maybe £15
It’s 15 to 18 for conference south

Back