• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference

When the population is increasing by half a million every year it's pretty difficult for housing to keep up. Supply and demand and all that.

When the population is increasing by half a million every year it's pretty difficult for housing to keep up. Supply and demand and all that.

If you cut the supply of any vital commodity the price will rise. Even the big building firms sit on banks of land because they know that without laying a single brick that value of the land will rise way above inflation.

Any government could solve the housing shortage in 1 day. Simply issue an order that all land with current planning or outline planning (including FF) has to have the project started in 12 months. Or the land will be compulsory purchased at a below market price.

Any local authority who tries to block any project to be heavily fined and any confiscated land could have proper 3 bedroom social housing built on it. Paid for by the £10 billion we wont be sending to the EU.

Yeah....right. :hilarious:

You may have to suck it up and vote Tory - I doubt UKIP will exist in 2020.

One difference perhaps is that May is appealing to the Country??

She is certainly telling us that the Tories are moving into the Centre, despite what would appear to be a raft of fairly right wing policy announcements so far.

One difference perhaps is that May is appealing to the Country??

She is certainly telling us that the Tories are moving into the Centre, despite what would appear to be a raft of fairly right wing policy announcements so far.

Not all of it Callan.

You said they are "appealing to the country". A vast amount of us will always see the Tories for what they really are.

Undoubtedly there is a school of thought among the left that is 'never trust a tory', 'The nasty Party' and so on and so on.

Its a fairly narrow minded approach, and cultist in its own way.

Which is the point I guess really, May has appealed to the Country as a whole rather than the Narrower appeal of a Tory Cult.

Fail to see how Amber Rudd can claim that making businesses list all foreign workers is anything other than racist or xenophobic, but she say it isn't either.

If it was a UKIP policy it would be laughed at.

Fail to see how Amber Rudd can claim that making businesses list all foreign workers is anything other than racist or xenophobic, but she say it isn't either.

In what way is a declaration of who you employ racist or Xenophobic?...aren't there advantages to knowing where a workforce actually come from?

Many of us already confirm when we join companies, fill forms out etc where we are born and ethnic back ground....is that racist and xenophobic?

Wasn't it in the last Labour manifesto to stop jobs being advertised abroad...was that racist and xenophobic?

It's surely just dog whistling for the Conference. I don't imagine there's any real intention once they get back in the real world of making them wear a star or anything.

It's surely just dog whistling for the Conference. I don't imagine there's any real intention once they get back in the real world of making them wear a star or anything.

It's from a range of options that are being considered.

Last edited:
In what way is a declaration of who you employ racist or Xenophobic?...aren't there advantages to knowing where a workforce actually come from?

Many of us already confirm when we join companies, fill forms out etc where we are born and ethnic back ground....is that racist and xenophobic?

Wasn't it in the last Labour manifesto to stop jobs being advertised abroad...was that racist and xenophobic?
Distinguishing people purely based on their nationality, how is it not? Nothing wrong with filling out forms or confirming when you join a company as there is no discrimination or different treatment of you regardless of where you are from. To publish your name on a list for no other reason than being from another country is a different matter.

That Labour policy may not have been the most open, but it wouldn't stop anyone in the UK from seeing the job advert regardless of where they are from and is therefore completely different.

Let's hope so!

Distinguishing people purely based on their nationality, how is it not? Nothing wrong with filling out forms or confirming when you join a company as there is no discrimination or different treatment of you regardless of where you are from. To publish your name on a list for no other reason than being from another country is a different matter.

That Labour policy may not have been the most open, but it wouldn't stop anyone in the UK from seeing the job advert regardless of where they are from and is therefore completely different.

Let's hope so!

Sorry I'm lost....or at least I think I am.

On the one hand you seem to be saying for an individual to declare their background is not discriminatory but if a company declares the very same thing it becomes discriminatory?

Doesn't it depend on how the information is used?...which according to Rudd is to encourage Companies to train and identify local skill shortages.

Sorry I'm lost....or at least I think I am.

On the one hand you seem to be saying for an individual to declare their background is not discriminatory but if a company declares the very same thing it becomes discriminatory?

Doesn't it depend on how the information is used?...which according to Rudd is to encourage Companies to train and identify local skill shortages.
For an individual to decide to declare their background, whether privately to the company or publicly, is not discriminatory, it's something everyone does.

For a company to publish the name and therefore background of an individual who has no choice whether it is published or not is discriminatory.

No problem at all with training and identifying local skill shortages, but discouraging companies from hiring people just because they are foreign and forcing them to "name and shame" those who don't meet their criteria is not the right way to do it.

For an individual to decide to declare their background, whether privately to the company or publicly, is not discriminatory, it's something everyone does.

For a company to publish the name and therefore background of an individual who has no choice whether it is published or not is discriminatory.

No problem at all with training and identifying local skill shortages, but discouraging companies from hiring people just because they are foreign and forcing them to "name and shame" those who don't meet their criteria is not the right way to do it.

How do we identify local skill shortages and thus training unless employers tell us whether they are hiring locally or from abroad?

Following the logic of your ''it's something everyone does'' if all Companies were to do it, would not the same apply?

Rudd has actually said it's purpose is not to name and to shame, but to create jobs for the locally unemployed.

Back