• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Colchester sack Williams

Lots of names in the frame we shall see, either way we need a motivator in there, Geraint was too soft and the players were not performing for him because of it. I gather several big names have expressed an interest already, however they probably think the annual salary is the weekly one ;)

Found this list of names on the Col Ewe's site as potentials for thier new managers job,
are these all in the frame? ;)

Mark Kinsella
Phil Parkinson
Ian Holloway
Joe Dunne
Teddy Sheringham
Kit Symons
Mick Harford
Billy Davies
Kevin Watson
Jason Dozzell
Mark Robson
Alan Curbishley
Joe Royle
Steve Foley
Steve Tilson :D:D:D
Alan Pardew
Mike Newell
Tony Adams
Steve Cotterill
Mike Walker
Jim Smith

I know its the wrong place, but Colchester sack Williams after poor start..I wonder how close Tilly was for the same treatment?

I don't think he was that close to it, but there were plenty on here who would have had Tilly go twelve months ago.

I've not seen much of Col U in recent times but I can't help feel that they should have stuck with Williams. The season has barely started.

Tilly was never close. It was some stupid fans and RM does not think like a stupid fan

Found this list of names on the Col Ewe's site as potentials for thier new managers job,

Mark Kinsella
Phil Parkinson
Ian Holloway
Joe Dunne
Teddy Sheringham
Kit Symons
Mick Harford
Billy Davies
Kevin Watson
Jason Dozzell
Mark Robson
Alan Curbishley
Joe Royle
Steve Foley
Alan Pardew
Mike Newell
Tony Adams
Steve Cotterill
Mike Walker
Jim Smith

Are they having a laugh! Who would want to go to a club with no fans and no future prospects. Ah hang on, wheres Wignalls phone number?

Personally I think this is a bad move for Colchester. Nothing worse than a knee jerk reaction after a few games following relegation. Clubs need stability and certainty, not an off the cuff decision like this. should've given him until Christmas at least I'd have thought. Some of those managers on that "wish" list are a bit unrealistic which is the reason I've never thought itnecessary to even consider sacking Tilson because it begs the question "who could actually do a much better job than Tilson has with the resources we have".

One thing you can say about our club is that the management team is pretty solid. When we went down from the Championship I dont think anyone seriously thought Tilly was going to get the boot. In fact, even in the last few years when there have been tough times, not once did I think that we needed to sack Tilly. I think this is what keeps clubs strong and together. A feeling of sticking together through the tough times is going to bode much better than bringing in someone new every 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I dont think a new manager for Colchester is going to have a massive impact on their season and I think that they have made a mistake here.

I see that Sheringham has been mentioned as a candidate along with Plankinson, and laughably Curbishley.

How would Ewes fans feel about the return of Parkinson?

Lots of Colchester fans are keen on Phil coming back, he is a motivator and it was a surprise he did so badly at Hull, although its not always a good thing to go back to an employer. Sheringham and Curbishley are mates of Robbie Cowling, Teddy would be a big mistake in my opinion as was the decision to sign him as a player last season, as for Curbs I think that would never happen.

Mark Kinsella
Phil Parkinson
Ian Holloway
Joe Dunne
Teddy Sheringham
Kit Symons
Mick Harford
Billy Davies
Kevin Watson
Jason Dozzell
Mark Robson
Alan Curbishley
Joe Royle
Steve Foley
Alan Pardew
Mike Newell
Tony Adams
Steve Cotterill
Mike Walker
Jim Smith

Tell you what, a few years ago that would have made a bloody good squad of players :clap:

I don't think he was that close to it, but there were plenty on here who would have had Tilly go twelve months ago.

I've not seen much of Col U in recent times but I can't help feel that they should have stuck with Williams. The season has barely started.

Geraint was a good bloke Beefy but it has been very very poor this season, he seems to have lost the dressing room and the fans support, things had to change, I think he is a better coach than manager.

Lots of Colchester fans are keen on Phil coming back, he is a motivator and it was a surprise he did so badly at Hull, although its not always a good thing to go back to an employer. Sheringham and Curbishley are mates of Robbie Cowling, Teddy would be a big mistake in my opinion as was the decision to sign him as a player last season, as for Curbs I think that would never happen.

I agree that generally it's not a good idea to return to former employers, unless of course it's David Webb. I agree with you about Sheringham as a manager, according to quotes from Robbie Cowling he is going to take time over his choice.

FWIW I think Williams has been treated quite shabbily, he steered the club to 10th against all sorts of odds, and couldn't repeat the feat last season. You've had a poor start so far this year but with the squad you have you should be top 10 at least. I think we have reaped the rewards of managerial continuity, and despite the Jonah's on here saying otherwise I think we will continue to do so.

HOLD ON SCUMMER

you said when Parkinson left that it was Williams who was the brains behind the duo at Colchester and that he was not a very good manager at all

Make your mind up dirty scummer please

I agree that generally it's not a good idea to return to former employers, unless of course it's David Webb. I agree with you about Sheringham as a manager, according to quotes from Robbie Cowling he is going to take time over his choice.

FWIW I think Williams has been treated quite shabbily, he steered the club to 10th against all sorts of odds, and couldn't repeat the feat last season. You've had a poor start so far this year but with the squad you have you should be top 10 at least. I think we have reaped the rewards of managerial continuity, and despite the Jonah's on here saying otherwise I think we will continue to do so.

don't feel sorry for any of them!!!

Incidentally, of the list, the only manager I can see being vaguely interested (who's also any good) is Mike Newell.

Unfortunately, he'd probably do quite well for you...

HOLD ON SCUMMER

you said when Parkinson left that it was Williams who was the brains behind the duo at Colchester and that he was not a very good manager at all

Make your mind up dirty scummer please

I dont think so TB, I said after Phil left and George was appointed that some people claimed he was the brains of the partnership, I never thought that to be the case. Phil was a very good motivator and was good at the manager stuff, George was too easy going to be a manager a coaches role will always suit him better.

Back