• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With regard to the Alabi red card, it looked a 50/50 challenge from where I was in East Reds. Very surprised to see a red given (although not ungrateful of course!) The replay would seem to support this - as has been previously said, his eyes were on the ball the whole time it was in the air, so more clumsy than malicious. When Prosser was standing on the sideline waiting to come back on, he also said it was never a red.

Clifford was probabl fair enough, he does go in for those a lot, and I think we can expect to see more red from him before the season is out unless he pulls back a bit. Quality player though so hope it doesn't hurt his game.

Not worth the cost of appealing as Clifford would be nowhere near our first team now Timlin has had a chance to show Brown what he can offer and Laird is back to fitness.

This.

Clifford can't moan to Brown about being dropped, because he isn't, he is suspended.

He then can't argue about not getting his place back after.

As I said on the match highlights, look at Alabi's arm when he's going for that ball - it's clearly raised. Red all day long for me. Agreed that Andrew went in on a 50/50 basis, but Clifford was much less controlled. Andrew should have been given a yellow though, regardless of injury.

In real time , I thought Cliffords red , and their first red , were both a bit harsh.
On seeing them back , I think both were correct decisions by the ref.

On a completely childish note , whenever I see the name Clifford and Red in the same sentence , I immediately think of the word Dog......................................

Very true, also, everyone may disagree with me here (which isn't a first) but Alabi's red card is debatable. His eyes were focused on the ball when he went into that 50/50 challenge with Prosser. Surely someone, (especially an 18 year old) making their first appearance for their new club wouldn't aim to hurt someone deliberately, risking getting sent off? Its clear he didn't intend it either, as (unless I am mistaken) he was crying when he got sent off?

I'll agree with you there. Definately debatable but can see why he got the red as well. The lad was crying according to the commentators so must have been a fair challenge in terms of maliciousness. Unless he's just a bit sensitive.

Very true, also, everyone may disagree with me here (which isn't a first) but Alabi's red card is debatable. His eyes were focused on the ball when he went into that 50/50 challenge with Prosser. Surely someone, (especially an 18 year old) making their first appearance for their new club wouldn't aim to hurt someone deliberately, risking getting sent off? Its clear he didn't intend it either, as (unless I am mistaken) he was crying when he got sent off?
I also agree with, more clumsy than malicious,but after looking at the incident a few times, he did lead with the arm, which is probably what the lino saw, and could have been more serious than not

Clifford has done that tackle maybe 20 times already this season , and got away with it every time. He was a red card waiting to happen, fortunately it was against a team already with 10 men + we were 1.0 up.

Yep. I've seen Clifford three times this season and each time he put in at least one challenge which really could have earned a red card. It seems to be part of his game (there were a few in the Youtube highlights package of his time at Chelsea too).

Wasn't quite as bad as this...

BYUhZpOCcAAkWCM.jpg:large

Alabi was going for the ball,and on realising he wasn't going to make it took the player!
Would have got away with it years ago but not now,and being a big lad it looked worse than it was.
At the time I wasn't sure about Clifford's being a straight red but on viewing the ref was spot on.
The ref had a good game so by my reckoning the next home game the officials will be pants!

Had perfect view of both incidents from east greens. Alabi was a definite red - charged prosser in a fore arm smash mode. Violent conduct and a definite red card. Scum bag.
Clifford was a typical case of the referee evening things up. Wasn't even a yellow. The ball was in open play, Clifford got ball first with a sweep off his feet not a straight lunge at it. Their scum bag guy made a meal off it big time - if you watched his antics over the next few minutes you could tell.

Had perfect view of both incidents from east greens. Alabi was a definite red - charged prosser in a fore arm smash mode. Violent conduct and a definite red card. Scum bag.

Clifford was a typical case of the referee evening things up. Wasn't even a yellow. The ball was in open play, Clifford got ball first with a sweep off his feet not a straight lunge at it. Their scum bag guy made a meal off it big time - if you watched his antics over the next few minutes you could tell.

That's a nice unbiased view of things !!

No and nor should we. He'd most likely get an additional game ban for wasting time like when we appealed Freddy's red for pushing their bloke in the chest.

The frivolous extra game is very much a rarity and I'm sure it wouldn't have been applied had we appealed, which we sensibly haven't done.

The extra game was added in the Eastwood case because it was viewed by the FA that we had appealed simply in order to enable him to play in the upcoming cup game against Southampton.

So your saying that an 18 year old striker, making only his 10th professional appearance was aiming to hurt a relatively experienced central defender, knowing he's risking getting sent off on his debut? Tell me you're joking?

So your saying that an 18 year old striker, making only his 10th professional appearance was aiming to hurt a relatively experienced central defender, knowing he's risking getting sent off on his debut? Tell me you're joking?

Doesn't matter if it was his 10th or 110th appearance. It was a naughty challenge.

Back