• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Canvey Island 1 - 2 Southend United, Tuesday 16th July, pre-season friendly

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
After the thumping 5-0 win at Great Wakering on Saturday we make our regular trip overseas for a pre-season friendly…to Canvey Island FC.

Canvey enjoyed a narrow 1-0 win against next Saturday’s friendly opponents Bishops Stortford whilst we were at Burroughs Park and as they will be playing at Step 3 next season, they should provide a sterner test for us than Step 5 Wakering.

Following Saturday’s game Kev bemoaned the lack of resources and unless messrs Andeng-Ndi, Moreton, Waldron and Bridge have made miraculous recoveries from their knocks, we may need to be using a blend of youth and experience to see us through against the Islanders too. Noor Husin remains a longer term injury and Demi’s had an injection in his knee and is also awaiting his contract situation sorting after the takeover completes so both are highly unlikely to feature.

We had a couple of trialists on Saturday - ex Col Ewe goalkeeper Sam Hornby and former Southampton wing back Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo - so it will be interesting to see if either feature again and if they’re joined by any other trialists.

No poll to select a team as that seems pretty pointless during pre-season, but feel free to post anything about the upcoming game here.

Last edited:
Last year the queue was a bit of a nightmare and getting a drink was difficult as there were only 2 serving. The bar and facilities there are good though

Another good run out for as many players as possible who are fit please.

More rain tonight and tomorrow so not the usual pre-season harder pitch. That might cheer up Kevin Maher a little. [tongue out:shocked face]

It's unfortunate that the trialist goal keeper had nothing to do, but with 20 minutes to go Charlie Brown made an amazing save

SOUTHEND United wing-back Gus Scott-Morriss is enjoying pre-season being far more structured for the Shrimpers this summer.

Last season, Blues’ preparations were severely hindered by the club’s off-field issues which seriously threatened their participation in the National League campaign.

But, after surviving similar concerns this time around, Kevin Maher’s side have a series of warm up matches to get ready for the forthcoming season.

And Scott-Morriss is certain that will stand the Shrimpers in good stead.
“It’s nice to have a proper schedule rather than not knowing what’s going on then have a few games just at the end,” said Scott-Morriss.

"It’s nice to build up and it’s been good.

“Obviously to start with we were a bit unsure what with the uncertainty around the club again.

“But the lads have been first class and it’s been a tough two weeks training wise.”

Southend’s squad have mixed up their training while working their way back to full fitness.

And Scott-Morriss has been enjoying the schedule.

“The staff here are first class,” said the 27-year-old.

“It’s been a good mix of gym ,running and football so we can’t complain.

“Pre-season is about getting yourself going again and every player knows what they must do to get themselves ready for the first game of the season.

“I really thrive on the games too.

“I struggle with fitness in training so I really thrive on the friendlies and building my sharpness up in them.”

Scott-Morriss began his pre-season by playing the second half of Saturday’s 5-0 win at Great Wakering Rovers.

And he was happy to bag Blues’ final goal of the game with a fantastic finish from a narrow angle.

“To get on the score-sheet and to get an assist as well was pleasing but it’s just about getting back into good habits again,” said Scott-Morriss.

“From the weekend we had a few knocks to lads but that’s going to happen in pre-season.

“Everyone knows it’s about getting through games and you maybe only really focus on results towards the end of pre-season.

“It’s Canvey up next for us and that will be another good work-out for us.”

Scott-Morriss, has headed into pre-season boosted by signing a new two year contract.

But he now requires another flat-mate after Wes Fonguck joined Ebbsfleet United.

“We had a private joke the whole season about it but it was a shame to see Wes go,” said Scott-Morriss.

“That’s football though and unfortunately players come and go.

“He’s a good lad and the lads are definitely going to miss him.

“I haven’t put an advert out just yet for a new flat-mate, but I think I might have to!

Back