• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Blues v Watford - November 1977

Loved the Crazy Corner bit in the programme with Sparta Rotterdam and Twente Enschede playing and Brian Moore making a huge thing about the Twente keeper Duisburg coming out of his area to win a tackle, taking a free kick on the halfway line and then, in the last minute or 2, coming up for a corner and hitting the post with a header.

"I'll guarantee that's something you'll have never seen and may well never see again" he said.

How times change!

And it was great to see a game from that era... good crowd, you forget just how big the South bank was! And some great Blues connections in the programme as stated. I forgot Dennis Booth but got the others.

I wouldn't have been at that game as I was playing somewhere at that time and I don't remember seeing the Sunday programme. No chance of catch up or recording it back then (although my Dad did have an old Philips original video recorder that was pre-VHS that he bought in 1975 for the Fulham v West Ham FA Cup final. I remember the tapes lasted 45 mins and cost £5 each! That was a lot of money back then.)

And it was great to see a game from that era... good crowd, you forget just how big the South bank was! And some great Blues connections in the programme as stated. I forgot Dennis Booth but got the others.

I wouldn't have been at that game as I was playing somewhere at that time and I don't remember seeing the Sunday programme. No chance of catch up or recording it back then (although my Dad did have an old Philips original video recorder that was pre-VHS that he bought in 1975 for the Fulham v West Ham FA Cup final. I remember the tapes lasted 45 mins and cost £5 each! That was a lot of money back then.)
Ha! I went to that game.

The problem with ITV and Southend was they could never decided with region we come under. Also you may recall it depended where your house was your TV tuned into different regions.

Our house was Thames, not much covered by them. My grandparents two streets away were Anglia so some SUFC coverage. My cousins were Southern and they also covered SUFC. I had to pop round and visit family depending on who covered the match and suggest the Sunday football with of course no idea that Southend were actually going to be featured :Cool:

The problem with ITV and Southend was they could never decided with region we come under. Also you may recall it depended where your house was your TV tuned into different regions.

Our house was Thames, not much covered by them. My grandparents two streets away were Anglia so some SUFC coverage. My cousins were Southern and they also covered SUFC. I had to pop round and visit family depending on who covered the match and suggest the Sunday football with of course no idea that Southend were actually going to be featured :Cool:
Yeah, it was so annoying when they announced that the Southend high lights were on Anglia TV. My whole area was Thames TV. So had no chance.

Didn't Anglia also cover Northampton as well? I found that quite odd.

BBC Look East cover Northampton now. They’ve totally ignored us since we dropped into the NL. I have contacted them several times to complain about lack of coverage- funny how they were all over us when we were having financial troubles/ demonstrations when we were a football league team. A holes.
Yours, outraged in Rochford 😁

Yeah, it was so annoying when they announced that the Southend high lights were on Anglia TV. My whole area was Thames TV. So had no chance.
as a kid in Shoebury it was Meridian default with a very fuzzy London / Thames if you jiggled the aerial
one for the kids there!

Anglia’s Sunday afternoon coverage went right up as far as Hull.
When talking football with Frankie Banks,he was amazed at how well I remembered the exciting team of that era,with Chilton,Wagstaff,Butler etc.

Back