• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best place to get flights

• Thread starter Thread starter chapperzUK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    para

chapperzUK

Looking to book flights for Australia (just the flights), but never booked flights on their own before. Where is the best place to book them?

If anyone has been gone to Australia, what airlines are the best and which to avoid?

I've been on a comparison website (Air Clicket), has anyone booked with them?

Probably just me being paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid than risk losing nearly a grand or more!!

Thanks!

There are a lot of benefits with booking direct with an airline. This might not get you the cheapest deal, but you'll get good cancellation rights, full freedom to pick your seats etc. Some agents don't have these rights, so check carefully.

Also, if you are doing more flying in the future then you could sign up to a frequent flyers scheme.

Singapore Airlines are highly regarded. It's who my parents fly with when heading backwards and forward from NZ.

Agents are good if you want to compare different airlines, or also if you want to develop a more complicated itinerary.

Yes, another recommendation for Singapore Airlines. My ex's family have flown to and from Singapore/Malaysia to the UK many, many times and they've always been very pleased with the service, comfort etc.

I flew to Aus with BA and it was awful, though mainly because my business class seat wouldn't recline and the flight was sold out so I couldn't move. What made it worse was that I had a free upgrade to first class but my company forgot to upgrade it, grrrr.....

No sleep at all for the whole flight and I was only there for three days :sick:

Thanks!

I've had a quick look on the SA website and they include a stop off in Singapore. I've never been far enough to have to stop off part way through so have no idea what to expect. Is it just a case of sitting and waiting for the next flight or can you go round and explore Singapore a bit? Some of differences are several hours.

Thanks!

I've had a quick look on the SA website and they include a stop off in Singapore. I've never been far enough to have to stop off part way through so have no idea what to expect. Is it just a case of sitting and waiting for the next flight or can you go round and explore Singapore a bit? Some of differences are several hours.

Singapore airport is apparently really good for transiting. If you have several hours then you can go on a bus tour even though in general you'l just be sat in the departure lounge waiting for your connection.

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit;jsessionid=56B02F4AFFE9746A46396CEBA7830A37

With the price of beer in aus you won't be able to afford a trip out to Singapore. Generally most of the airlines are ok. Singapore, Malaysia BA and Quantus are all much of a muchness. Free beer and wine the whole way though.

Oh that is tempting. Will have to check out the extra cost first.

Again, check with SA because they have very good deals for stopovers (basically Singapore want people who are transiting to consider staying for a day or two and contributing to their economy). Have a look here:

We did all this research and booked flights when we were going to head to NZ, but due to an uninteresting medical emergency had to cancel our holiday sadly.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/special-offers/landingpage/

With the price of beer in aus you won't be able to afford a trip out to Singapore. Generally most of the airlines are ok. Singapore, Malaysia BA and Quantus are all much of a muchness. Free beer and wine the whole way though.

Heard the beer is quite expensive, in fact this might sound strange but I had a dream last night where I was in a bar in Brisbane and Phil Brown bought me a pint, although when he realised how much it was ($12 if my dream is right!) he backed out.

Sounds like I'll be hidding some booze in my hand luggage ... :whistling:

Again, check with SA because they have very good deals for stopovers (basically Singapore want people who are transiting to consider staying for a day or two and contributing to their economy). Have a look here:

We did all this research and booked flights when we were going to head to NZ, but due to an uninteresting medical emergency had to cancel our holiday sadly.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/special-offers/landingpage/

Thanks again you've been brilliant!

Reckon I'll stopover for a couple of days on the way back as Singapore is one of those places I want to visit.

Thanks!

Stopped at Singapore on the way and Bangkok on the way back. Both times stopped for just a hour or so and got back on the same plane and continued the journey. Just enough time to visit the toilet before time to reboard.

Whenever, I book any holiday, flights etc I always go direct to the operator as you are more likely to get any benefits if there is any

Going over to do football coaching for around 11 weeks, done via a company over here.

Back