• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bad chairmen

The player Webby and Jobson fell out over wasn't Ferdinand, although we were definitely interested in him, but couldn't afford him. It was another top player and the link between Webby and Terry Venables, which was so fruitful for the club whilst Venables was at Spurs.

Paul Walsh had chinned Ray Clemence in training and had been Spurs had suspended him. Webby had agreed with Venables a loan deal for the end of the season, to get him away from the club to lighten the atmosphere there. This was early March time and we were riding high. Venables had cleared with the Spurs board a fee of £25k for the loan deal until the end of the season. Webby thought that would be good enough to take us up and Jonson wouldn't provide the cash. At that stage Webby thought that showed lack of ambition, or Jonson couldn't afford for us to go up, either way that was the parting of the ways. When Bates found out low and behold, also in the mix at what was going on at the club, Webby's next role was Chelsea. Paul Walsh's days were numbered and Venables sold him shortly after to Liverpool, with a recommendation from Clemence.
David Webb wanted to sign Ferdinand in the January , by March Webb had already fallen out with Jobson and had handed his notice in and were sliding down the table .

Didn't Rubin sack Dave Smith because he wanted to take us further after finishing 10th in the old 3rd Div?
I recall looking forward to seeing Trevor Whymark, but it never worked out for him, much like Tony Curry who got injured in a warm up and never played again for us.

Didn't Rubin sack Dave Smith because he wanted to take us further after finishing 10th in the old 3rd Div?
I recall looking forward to seeing Trevor Whymark, but it never worked out for him, much like Tony Curry who got injured in a warm up and never played again for us.
the son?

David Webb wanted to sign Ferdinand in the January , by March Webb had already fallen out with Jobson and had handed his notice in and were sliding down the table .
He.may have already fallen out with Jobson, but it wasn't Ferdinand that was the straw to break the camels back. and Webby was going to see the season out and go in the summer. It was the Walsh deal or the lack of it that was the reason for Webby to announce he would leave prior to the end of the season, after working the deal out with Spurs, before the then transfer deadline of 31st March.

Anton Johnson sacked Dave Smith. AJ would have ruined the club in 2.5 years, 10 times quicker than RM. And RM may still end up leaving us in an ok position financially, depending on how the sale goes.

Last edited:
Jobson had MANY faults but his place in our history cannot be denied. Under his Chairmanship we achieved the impossible dream with a legendary manager and squad. In the second tier we dared to dream one Boxing Day early kick off. We gambled and won on Collymore. We did an escape act under Fry. It went south with Ronnie Whelan despite the presence of Mike Marsh.

As I stated earlier Jobson is marmite but his plus points vastly outweigh the negatives. Same with Fry. Yes he was a Judas. Yes we all enjoyed THAT game v Birmingham but undeniably some of the most exciting football I’ve ever seen at the Hall.

Martin on the other hand is an inverse Spock. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

Despite our current predicament I’d still take what we have now rather than the lifeless dross we saw with 2000 crowds.
I also heard that it was Jobson that 'found' and insisted that we sign Collymore, not Colin Murphy who wanted to sign someone else

I dont think any chairman we have had, have been good chairman.

Maybe the rubins before my time but certainly the last few have been woeful.

The only two chairman that give Ron a run for his money was oysten at Blackpool and that scumbag at bury.

I also heard that it was Jobson that 'found' and insisted that we sign Collymore, not Colin Murphy who wanted to sign someone else
Correct. I covered it on here before. Jobson over ruled Murphy who wanted to sign Steve Jones from Billericay. Jobson was tipped off by a friend about Collymore. He went to see him in Palace reserves, and immediately wanted to sign him for Southend. Thankfully, Jobson won the argument, and the rest is Blues history.

I believe Dave Webb would of taken us up into the old 1st division if he had not fallen out with Vic Jobson over the signing of a player who Webb said would guarantee promotion . That player was Les Ferdinand , Webb had an eye for a player .
Never, ever, knew that!

Correct. I covered it on here before. Jobson over ruled Murphy who wanted to sign Steve Jones from Billericay. Jobson was tipped off by a friend about Collymore. He went to see him in Palace reserves, and immediately wanted to sign him for Southend. Thankfully, Jobson won the argument, and the rest is Blues history.
The Fat Judas will tell you he found Stanley .

He.may have already fallen out with Jobson, but it wasn't Ferdinand that was the straw to break the camels back. and Webby was going to see the season out and go in the summer. It was the Walsh deal or the lack of it that was the reason for Webby to announce he would leave prior to the end of the season, after working the deal out with Spurs, before the then transfer deadline of 31st March.
Very interesting, thanks for that

I dont think any chairman we have had, have been good chairman.

Maybe the rubins before my time but certainly the last few have been woeful.

The only two chairman that give Ron a run for his money was oysten at Blackpool and that scumbag at bury.
And George Reynolds... and Abdallah Lemsagam... and I am sure there are a good few more (Scunny's previous owners?).

Not saying that RM isn't an awful chairman for us... he is... but there have been plenty others.

I was working at the club at the time and seem to remember the disagreement was much more than about one or two players. I believe Webby wanted to negotiate any new players wages personally and Vic said there was no way he was letting someone else spend his money; he wanted to do the negotiations himself. I have no idea which players were involved.

This impasse went on for a bit and then Webby handed his notice in (2 months I think) to show Vic he was serious about things. This was in the January, but I can't recall if it was after "that" Newcastle game or the Everton cup tie. I suspect the former, because I recall a bit of an internal cloud over the club in the week leading up to the 3rd round match at Goodison Park. At that point it was all very private and not in the public domain.

I think it could have been worked out, but somehow it got into the Sunday papers. Various derogatory quotes were printed and neither of them could come back from that. I was told by my colleague that he heard Vic bawling out Howard Southwood and Roger Buxton about leaking the news, which they both swear they didn't (and I have no idea who did).

Interesting times. I often wonder how far Webby could have taken us.

Back