• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bad chairmen

Shrimp and two veg

Youth Team
I didnt really have much of an understanding of previous chairman due to my age and no SZ back in the day of 70s and 80s, but even going back before that, or after, is there any SUFC owner that was more odius than Martin ? Christmas club money going missing, those sort of incidents i knew about but i had no ITK contacts as a young man.
Whats your memories ? Ive always read with interest of previous chairman on SZ down the years.

I didnt really have much of an understanding of previous chairman due to my age and no SZ back in the day of 70s and 80s, but even going back before that, or after, is there any SUFC owner that was more odius than Martin ? Christmas club money going missing, those sort of incidents i knew about but i had no ITK contacts as a young man.
Whats your memories ? Ive always read with interest of previous chairman on SZ down the years.
You're referring of course to Anton Johnson. Luckily, he wasn't at the club too long - but long enough for the effects of his murky reign.

http://www.shrimper.org.uk/chair/johnson.php#:~:text=In June 1983 Essex butcher Anton Johnson (already,which, during his tenure, increased to £700 000.

Last edited:
I was thinking of starting a similar thread, then saw this one.
Anton Johnson almost ran the club to financial ruin, until Vic Jobson came in and saved the club. I believed he borrowed money off Ken Bates to get the club.
Jobson then came out with some ridiculous story about moving the club to Basildon. One thing has always stuck with me is the way he said "If you don't like it, then there's plenty of other clubs to follow."
Then there's Ron Martin as we all know.

The thing with Jobson though, is that we had Dave Webb as manager and actually made it to the second division (Championship) for the first time in the clubs history.

Although the club nearly folded under Johnson, the way we are now then RM is worse then him.

Anton Johnson almost ran the club to financial ruin, until Vic Jobson came in and saved the club. I believed he borrowed money off Ken Bates to get the club.
Jobson then came out with some ridiculous story about moving the club to Basildon. One thing has always stuck with me is the way he said "If you don't like it, then there's plenty of other clubs to follow."

The thing with Jobson though, is that we had Dave Webb as manager and actually made it to the second division (Championship) for the first time in the clubs history.

Although the club nearly folded under Johnson, the way we are now then RM is worse then him.
I believe Dave Webb would of taken us up into the old 1st division if he had not fallen out with Vic Jobson over the signing of a player who Webb said would guarantee promotion . That player was Les Ferdinand , Webb had an eye for a player .

Jobson had MANY faults but his place in our history cannot be denied. Under his Chairmanship we achieved the impossible dream with a legendary manager and squad. In the second tier we dared to dream one Boxing Day early kick off. We gambled and won on Collymore. We did an escape act under Fry. It went south with Ronnie Whelan despite the presence of Mike Marsh.

As I stated earlier Jobson is marmite but his plus points vastly outweigh the negatives. Same with Fry. Yes he was a Judas. Yes we all enjoyed THAT game v Birmingham but undeniably some of the most exciting football I’ve ever seen at the Hall.

Martin on the other hand is an inverse Spock. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

Despite our current predicament I’d still take what we have now rather than the lifeless dross we saw with 2000 crowds.

I believe Dave Webb would of taken us up into the old 1st division if he had not fallen out with Vic Jobson over the signing of a player who Webb said would guarantee promotion . That player was Les Ferdinand , Webb had an eye for a player .
He did the same to Ronnie Whelan when he had us 2 points off of 2nd place in 95/96 season, no idea what happened, but we played Barnsley on New Years Day a boring 0-0 and the following week we had Barnsley's Andy Rammell and they had our striker Dave Regis.
Rammell went down to the basement with us and could not hit a barn door, while Regis went to the Prem with Barnsley and from the looks of it he could not even score!

Jobson had MANY faults but his place in our history cannot be denied. Under his Chairmanship we achieved the impossible dream with a legendary manager and squad. In the second tier we dared to dream one Boxing Day early kick off. We gambled and won on Collymore. We did an escape act under Fry. It went south with Ronnie Whelan despite the presence of Mike Marsh.

As I stated earlier Jobson is marmite but his plus points vastly outweigh the negatives. Same with Fry. Yes he was a Judas. Yes we all enjoyed THAT game v Birmingham but undeniably some of the most exciting football I’ve ever seen at the Hall.

Martin on the other hand is an inverse Spock. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

Despite our current predicament I’d still take what we have now rather than the lifeless dross we saw with 2000 crowds.
The fact we hated Fry so much was because we just knew we'd freefall without him, i remember being so gutted realising the bubble had burst

Sadly

Vic Jobson will mainly remembered by me, as the owner ( SUFC Chairman ) who demolished our magnificent South Bank that could of held 20,000 people alone on its day.

I truly believe if we still had the Original South Stand today there be no need to build a new ground and we would not be in this die position today.

Sadly

Vic Jobson will mainly remembered by me, as the owner ( SUFC Chairman ) who demolished our magnificent South Bank that could of held 20,000 people alone on its day.

I truly believe if we still had the Original South Stand today there be no need to build a new ground and we would not be in this die position today.

The council had ZERO interest in approving a new ground at the time. We were existing on low gates. What other choices did he have at the time? I’m not a Jobson advocate but I am a realist.

Martin on the other hand had stadium approvals but too much ****wittery trying to scrape the additional million or two. I cannot see any rationale excuse for failing to deliver on the original approvals.

Of course we are talking about Chairman but any rerun of the side topic is always welcome

Sammy should’ve put that in the east blacks!! I was 16 at the time, in the north bank and living life!!! What a time

The player Webby and Jobson fell out over wasn't Ferdinand, although we were definitely interested in him, but couldn't afford him. It was another top player and the link between Webby and Terry Venables, which was so fruitful for the club whilst Venables was at Spurs.

Paul Walsh had chinned Ray Clemence in training and had been Spurs had suspended him. Webby had agreed with Venables a loan deal for the end of the season, to get him away from the club to lighten the atmosphere there. This was early March time and we were riding high. Venables had cleared with the Spurs board a fee of £25k for the loan deal until the end of the season. Webby thought that would be good enough to take us up and Jobson wouldn't provide the cash. At that stage Webby thought that showed lack of ambition, or Jonson couldn't afford for us to go up, either way that was the parting of the ways. When Bates found out low and behold, also in the mix at what was going on at the club, Webby's next role was Chelsea. Paul Walsh's days were numbered and Venables sold him shortly after to Liverpool, with a recommendation from Clemence.

Last edited:
The council had ZERO interest in approving a new ground at the time. We were existing on low gates. What other choices did he have at the time? I’m not a Jobson advocate but I am a realist.

Martin on the other hand had stadium approvals but too much ****wittery trying to scrape the additional million or two. I cannot see any rationale excuse for failing to deliver on the original approvals.
Other than Sainsbury's deciding not to go ahead with their plans to fund a stadium and then build a super store at RH.

I was interviewed by Elonex sponsor up in Brentwood during that time, I asked him if it was good for his business, his answer was that he wished he had not got involved with Jobson, for he installed all of their pc equipment and they never paid him, so they paid him back by slapping Elonex on the shirts. How true it was I can only go by what he told me, then again he never gave me the job either. hate to think it was because I was a Blues fan :Hilarious:

The Rubin era produced some good football and quality players who should have achieved much more. Finally in his time the sale of first Spence followed Cusack and Otulakowski to Millwall for only 60k broke the back of possibly the best team which should have gone to a higher level .The end of his time was painful and resulted in possibly the worst time till now in the clubs history. Was Bill a bad chairman .......All that sticks in my mind now is the chants of Rubin OUT and East stand cushions flying through the air

Back