• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 05 2004,14:36)]Quote "If 7,339 come Sat, highest total gate since Div 1."

Didnt we get over 9,000 against the borient a few seasons back???
rock.gif
You're right... it was a poor precis of my post. Let me try:

If Sat gate = 7,339, season attendance = 145,000, highest since Jobson.

Is that better?

tounge.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 05 2004,13:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 05 2004,13:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ May 05 2004,13:47)]Folks - this is how a busy lawyer spends his day!
No, this is how a lawyer spends his day when he's not that busy.  When he is busy, he doesn't come anywhere near Shrimperzone...

wink.gif

Thought it might interest some people, but evidently not.

sad.gif

ghostface.gif

Matt

P.S. My charge-out rate is, of course, not only confidential but also negotiable...

tounge.gif
I'd say that the higher attendance is  nearly as good news as the new stadium. The future is Bright, the future is Shrimp!
What's any this got to do with Morecambe? shrimpERS
tounge.gif

The Evening Echo has stated that 3500 tickets have already been sold
rock.gif
, so if Torquay bring the 3000 they recon they will, that's 6500 already.

Brilliant research, making for a good read. Will be interesting to hear the attendance with these figures in mind.
smile.gif

its gonna be the biggest league gate of the season sat without doubt, i reckon nudging 8000 maybe more...

bring it on.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ May 05 2004,18:09)]Will be interesting to hear the attendance with these figures in mind.
OK, here are those updated figures....

Overall attendances, for league & cup, are incredibly good too:

23 League games - Total: 104,308 (Ave: 4,535)
3 FA Cup games  -  Total: 20,394  (Ave: 6,798)  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

4 LDV Cup games - Total: 19,168  (Ave: 4,792)  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

1 League Cup game-Total: 3,385   (Ave: 3,385)

GRAND TOTAL:            147,255
AVERAGE (31 Games): 4,750

Let me put that in some sort of context:

======     ==========      ==============
Season          Manager(s)             Total Attendance
======     ==========      ==============

1994-95    Spud, Thommo           127,912 (24 home games)
1995-96      Whelan                    157,143 (26 home games)
1996-97      Whelan                    131,216 (24 home games)
1997-98      Chipmunk                 111,314 (26 home games)
1998-99    Chipmunk, Little          110,539 (26 home games)
1999-00      Little                        99,658 (25 home games)
2000-01     Little, Webb              125,066 (31 home games)
2001-02     Webb, Newman         111,403 (27 home games)
2002-03    Newman, Wignall         103,186 (25 home games)
2003-04    Wignall, Tilson         147,255 (31 home games)

To put it another way, we've had a 48% increase in gates since Little's 1st full season in 1999-2000.

Matt

Whats our highest average attendance ever?? I know we used to get 20,000 regularly some time ago!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 11 2004,13:11)]Whats our highest average attendance ever?? I know we used to get 20,000 regularly some time ago!!!
According to the European Football Statistics website, our zenith was in 1971-72, when we finished 2nd in Division 4 and had 258,235 throught the gates in 26 league & cup games - or 9,932 on average.  In fact, it was the cup games that dragged down our average, since our average in the league was 10,261!

wow.gif

Compare that to our nadir, in 1984-85, when we finished 20th in Div 4, and had only 48,172 through the turnstiles... or an average of 1,927 in all comps.  That's less than one-third of the numbers of fans we've had through the turnstiles this season.  It must have felt like the club was dying on its backside.

sad.gif

However, I believe that the gates in the 1950s were even higher than those in the 1971-72 season, although you'd have to ask someone like Robin Michel, owner of the omniscient Robin's SUFC Data Website about that.

cool.gif

Matt

Can Matt or anyone else with lots of time and a penchant for stats work out how we fare with the following in mind:

Nationwide League crowds are at their highest level for 40 years with 15.9m people attending games over the season.

Figures show an annual increase of more than 1m spectators with an average of 9,595-per-game.

Crowds for the First Division continue to far outstrip the equivalent leagues in Europe with gates 50% higher than those in Italy and Germany.

"They are a testament to the quality of football played by our clubs," said League chairman Sir Brian Mawhinney.

Mawhinney also praised the facilities in the lower leagues and the promotional work clubs do in their areas.
"The figures demonstate the passion for the game that exists amongst supporters at all levels of the Football League," he added.

"They are also a testament to the hard work clubs carry out in the local communities to encourage the next generation of supporters."

The biggest increase came in the Third Division where crowds were 21% larger than the previous season.
Year-on year figures showed a 3% increase in Division One and 6.5% in the Second Division.

For League attendances how do we measure up to the national average?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ May 11 2004,16:22)]Can Matt or anyone else with lots of time and a penchant for stats work out how we fare with the following in mind:

Figures show an annual increase of more than 1m spectators with an average of 9,595-per-game.

All the stats are in your post...

Southend ave attendance (League): 4,535
Nationwide League ave attendance: 9,595

So, we have on average 5,060 fewer fans through the gates to a league game than the Nationwide League average.

Looked at another way, Nationwide League gates are 211.5% bigger than our gates; which is the same as saying that our gates are 47.3% of the size of an average Nationwide League gate (i.e. less than half the size).

tounge.gif

Penchant for stats - yes. Lots of time - not needed!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 11 2004,16:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ May 11 2004,16:22)]Can Matt or anyone else with lots of time and a penchant for stats work out how we fare with the following in mind:

All the stats are in your post...

Southend ave attendance (League): 4,535
Nationwide League ave attendance: 9,595

So, we have on average 5,060 fewer fans through the gates to a league game than the Nationwide League average.

Looked at another way, Nationwide League gates are 211.5% bigger than our gates; which is the same as saying that our gates are 47.3% of the size of an average Nationwide League gate (i.e. less than half the size).

tounge.gif

Penchant for stats - yes.  Lots of time - not needed!

cool.gif
I think you are trying to get out of that to easily, Matt. I understood the question to be "Our attendance has gone up - but is that by a greater or lesser percentage than the league as a whole".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 11 2004,23:35)]I think you are trying to get out of that to easily, Matt. I understood the question to be "Our attendance has gone up - but is that by a greater or lesser percentage than the league as a whole".
Oh, if that's the question, then the answer is greater... there's no way that the League's gates are up 48% since 1999-2000...

wink.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,00:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 11 2004,23:35)]I think you are trying to get out of that to easily, Matt. I understood the question to be "Our attendance has gone up - but is that by a greater or lesser percentage than the league as a whole".
Oh, if that's the question, then the answer is greater... there's no way that the League's gates are up 48% since 1999-2000...

wink.gif

Matt
They went up 21% this season and 15% the season before (in the 3rd division) so I reckon there could well be a way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 12 2004,10:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,00:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 11 2004,23:35)]I understood the question to be "Our attendance has gone up - but is that by a greater or lesser percentage than the league as a whole".

wink.gif

Matt
They went up 21% this season and 15% the season before (in the 3rd division) so I reckon there could well be a way.
You didn't ask about Div 3, though - you just asked about "the League".

Total Football League gates in 2003-04 are up 1m to 15.9m (see Bucks_blue's original post). That means the league's gates have risen 6.7% over the course of the last season.

So, I repeat my previous comment - there's no way that gates have risen 48% in the Football League as a whole between 1999-2000 and now...

wink.gif

Matt

Perhaps you should have questioned the point of the question.  Whay compare us to teams such as, say, Ipswich, Derby and Sunderland when we are a fraction of their size.  Comparing us to our peers in the third (or even include second) division (s) and it doesn't look as good.

Guess statistics are only what you make of them and could be written any way.

In my view, an absolute growth is an absolute growth and a lot of the third division attendances increase will have been due to Hull's shiny new stadium and Huddersfield getting relegated with their impressive McAlpine staium.

In short, if we carry on increasing our attendance at the same percentage rate, everyone will eventually support us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 12 2004,11:18)]In short, if we carry on increasing our attendance at the same percentage rate, everyone will eventually support us.
Indeed - we are the first step on our way to world domination.

Mwahahahaha

tounge.gif

You know what they say - there are lies, damn lies and statistics. They also say that 85.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

However, there's no doubting that Roots Hall has had way more fans through the turnstiles than in recent years - and that's damn good news. It provides us with tangible evidence that the club is on the road to recovery... long may that continue.

Matt

Makes you wonder how much further they could rise if we had

A) A successful side

B) A shiny, new, state of the art stadium.

Reckon we could average 7,000 plus in those circumstances. Hopefully we'll find out relatively soon.
smile.gif

Back