• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
Another August Saturday and another long away trip, this time to the north west of England to play AFC Fylde.

The Coasters have had an OK start to the season with a 3-2 opening day win at home to Solihull Moors, draws at Oldham and home to Maidenhead and defeats at top of the table Eastleigh and in their last game at Wealdstone on bank holiday Monday, with Henry Sandat scoring the only goal of the game.

They're managed by former Carlisle manager Chris Beech who was originally their Director of Football, then interim manager and finally given a 2-year contract after keeping the minnows up last season. Don't expect a bumper crowd like we had on bank holiday Monday, for their first two home games this season they only just managed to scrape 4 figures for their attendance - although I'm sure our fans will travel in greater numbers than both Solihull and Maidenhead supporters did.

For those who are travelling, please see @DoDTS ‘s excellent thread which tells you all you need to know. https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/fylde-saturday-31st-august-2024.119097/

This Friday at 11.00pm the transfer window slams shut for league clubs and hopefully that will make it a little easier for us to sign players as Kev was really down to the bare bones on Monday and only able to put 6 on the bench. This problem was exacerbated by midfielders Oli Coker and Cav Miley both going off injured as well. Let's hope their injuries are not too serious, Ollie Kensdale recovers soon from his illness and strikers Danny Waldron and Josh Walker aren't too far from returning, as well as a few new faces.

So who would you choose to start in the last game of the first month of this season, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
We only have about 14 senior players "fit" at the moment, so it really is bare bones time again. I'd like to see some faces come in before Saturday, but not sure that will happen (more likely next week?)

Fylde aren't a bad side and in Nick Haughton have a very dangerous goalscorer.

Can't predict the line-up as have no idea on the status of our injured/ill players: Kensdale, Walker, Waldron, Coker, Miley.

All things considered, I'd take a point right now, as we are in a pickle again.

See that (so far) 50% of us (including me) think we'll win while the other half think we'll lose,which personally I think would be a disaster.

See that (so far) 50% of us (including me) think we'll win while the other half think we'll lose,which personally I think would be a disaster.
It wouldn't be a disaster to lose - its going to happen sometimes. For all the reasons Smiffy pointed out, we are at maximum danger of not getting positive results at the moment. We've not got a full squad yet, and the squad we have has a number of key players injured the length of the pitch. We can't even fill the subs bench again - but this time that was unexpected and the result of injuries the weekend just gone.

Kev is going to need all his managerial skills, and every tactical tool in his toolbox, to engineer a result this weekend - whether or not we manage to get a body or two in through the door. I suspect we might not get anyone in - or not until Saturday, when the EFL window will be shut, so they will have zero time to train / integrate and will be a bench option at best.

.....and we'll be playing the team containing the league's top scorer.

It wouldn't be a disaster to lose - its going to happen sometimes. For all the reasons Smiffy pointed out, we are at maximum danger of not getting positive results at the moment. We've not got a full squad yet, and the squad we have has a number of key players injured the length of the pitch. We can't even fill the subs bench again - but this time that was unexpected and the result of injuries the weekend just gone.

Kev is going to need all his managerial skills, and every tactical tool in his toolbox, to engineer a result this weekend - whether or not we manage to get a body or two in through the door. I suspect we might not get anyone in - or not until Saturday, when the EFL window will be shut, so they will have zero time to train / integrate and will be a bench option at best.

Maybe but i think it's inevitable that support will drop off if results don't go our way.

The danger with this situation and not being fully competitive for a period is it costs points- it’s almost like a points deduction by the back door. Not withstanding the blame very largely lies at the door of a delayed sale and late lifting of the embargo.

On the other hand Kev is the UK’s number one at managing with one hand tied behind his back…he has the patience of a saint…

Wont do my predictions until i know the state of the injuries or whether new bodies will arrive in time.

unless you're Nick Hayes
We were in the social club before the Woking game and didn't bother checking the teams as it didn't change due to the lack of players. Walked into the stadium and shouted at eachother, 'who the hell is that in goal?" Played a good game too. Love moments like that.

Hopefully Saturday is a day like that, where a few new faves rock up, always a welcome sight. Probably be next week though.

Another August Saturday and another long away trip, this time to the north west of England to play AFC Fylde.

The Coasters have had an OK start to the season with a 3-2 opening day win at home to Solihull Moors, draws at Oldham and home to Maidenhead and defeats at top of the table Eastleigh and in their last game at Wealdstone on bank holiday Monday, with Henry Sandat scoring the only goal of the game.

They're managed by former Carlisle manager Chris Beech who was originally their Director of Football, then interim manager and finally given a 2-year contract after keeping the minnows up last season. Don't expect a bumper crowd like we had on bank holiday Monday, for their first two home games this season they only just managed to scrape 4 figures for their attendance - although I'm sure our fans will travel in greater numbers than both Solihull and Maidenhead supporters did.

For those who are travelling, please see @DoDTS ‘s excellent thread which tells you all you need to know. https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/fylde-saturday-31st-august-2024.119097/

This Friday at 11.00pm the transfer window slams shut for league clubs and hopefully that will make it a little easier for us to sign players as Kev was really down to the bare bones on Monday and only able to put 6 on the bench. This problem was exacerbated by midfielders Oli Coker and Cav Miley both going off injured as well. Let's hope their injuries are not too serious, Ollie Kensdale recovers soon from his illness and strikers Danny Waldron and Josh Walker aren't too far from returning, as well as a few new faces.

So who would you choose to start in the last game of the first month of this season, and what do you predict the result will be?
I missed what Kensdale’s illness was, were we told?

I took, thinking about this one and making a weekend of it
Looking atm at available hotels

Back