• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
Not sure why people are so shocked about us travelling up on the day on the train. I’m sure we did it a few times a few years ago in League 1 under Brown.

I’ve even seen a Championship team travelling up on the day to a long distance away game on the train before. I really don’t think it’s as uncommon as people think.

Could benefit us anyway, we should have a replacement for Cardwell and a fit Walker/Waldron for the rearranged fixture.
Yeah but it doesn't fit in with the agenda of the whiners and moaners. No point looking at the facts, it's wasted on them

The team presumably travelled the same vs Hartlepool and were fine. But it's not worth the risk.

With the cost of rail travel these days I can't imagine there's much of a saving to be made unless there's considerable group discounts.
They traveled by coach, we passed it around 5 miles outside of Hartlepool. Don’t know if they stayed anywhere over night though

Last edited:
Not sure why people are so shocked about us travelling up on the day on the train. I’m sure we did it a few times a few years ago in League 1 under Brown.

I’ve even seen a Championship team travelling up on the day to a long distance away game on the train before. I really don’t think it’s as uncommon as people think.

Could benefit us anyway, we should have a replacement for Cardwell and a fit Walker/Waldron for the rearranged fixture.
Don’t start speaking sense now,it doesn’t seem to be the time for that!

An argument to be made, perhaps, for catching an earlier train, but I can’t claim to know whether there were valid reasons why that didn’t happen.

Travelling on the day of the game, though, happens across the pyramid. We did it in L1 days. Not sure why we did it this time round. Cost saving could have been a factor….convenience…..who knows?

Don’t blame them for not trying the train on the day either, I can’t imagine a long journey on a cramped coach on the day of a game would be great for the body.

Remember going to Macclesfield away once and seeing the man utd team arrive back from Chelsea by train. Obviously it is the norm for most teams

100 percent this

Yet again people need to get a grip. This is NOT uncommon even with FL clubs.

Wonder if the club will be putting on free travel for the rearranged game for anyone there today that goes when it’s on. There were 5 in my car today but know 2 won’t be able to do a Tuesday and if honest I won’t fancy driving that distance and back in a Tuesday. May have to be BOT job

Wonder if the club will be putting on free travel for the rearranged game for anyone there today that goes when it’s on. There were 5 in my car today but know 2 won’t be able to do a Tuesday and if honest I won’t fancy driving that distance and back in a Tuesday. May have to be BOT job
There is a possibility if we're out of both cups that there is a free Saturday for it.

100 percent this

Yet again people need to get a grip. This is NOT uncommon even with FL clubs.
However, failing to fulfill a fixture due to travel issues is VERY VERY uncommon. Could be bad luck. But straight after finding out a player has not been correctly registered looks a bit Sunday League.

I've never been on a train that has been evacuated but I've had numerous trains cancelled and had to wait an hour or two for the next one. Also several trains over an hour late on arrival. So more time needs to be allowed for team journeys.

I’ve had plenty of trains cancelled. The next one on main lines is normally about half an hour behind. They were due to arrive around 1pm. An hour delay still gets them in an hour before kick off.

Even a two hour delay (extremely rare) would have got them in for 3pm and they could maybe have then pushed the kickoff back to 3:30pm (didn’t we have a delayed kick off a few years back when the opposition coach was stuck in traffic on way to Roots Hall a few years back?) but the problem is they were facing a delay in excess of 2 hours as they needed to wait for an evacuation train which would have taken them back to London rather than to their destination.

Surprised no one in the squad thought to rip off the top of a Stella box, write Fylde on the back and try to thumb a lift.

I think we’ll safely place this weeks antics in ‘ to be forgotten’ and never to be repeated, after all that’s gone on this week I’m guessing this was the last thing anyone needed but could be a blessing with the recent upheaval of our squad , give the new guys a bit of time to bed I.

They say it comes in 3’s so hopefully that’s ours out of the way for the foreseeable future

I haven't read the posts on here but feel really embarrassed as a supporter and embarrassed for the club. I get the constant reminders of the financial mess the 🤡 left the club in but has it really come to having to scrimp on travel and go by train for a 215 mile journey the morning of the match?

Again I know this is a long term project but even the tin pot teams in this awful league manage to turn up to play, we are supposedly a big fish in this division not a Sunday league pub team 🤦🏼‍♂️

This has been a bad week for SUFC after the news of OK, HC moving on to a promotion rival with a fat wallet and the news of JD leaving and now this today.

The team presumably travelled the same vs Hartlepool and were fine. But it's not worth the risk.

With the cost of rail travel these days I can't imagine there's much of a saving to be made unless there's considerable group discounts.
They travelled by coach to Hartlepool

I think we’ll safely place this weeks antics in ‘ to be forgotten’ and never to be repeated, after all that’s gone on this week I’m guessing this was the last thing anyone needed but could be a blessing with the recent upheaval of our squad , give the new guys a bit of time to bed I.

They say it comes in 3’s so hopefully that’s ours out of the way for the foreseeable future

In a weird way I wonder if today’s situation was exactly what they needed.

It gives them a bit of adversity to bond over. The new guys will probably feel more part of the team having had the shared experience of being stuck on a train waiting to be rescued, than they would have from a week’s training. I’m sure next week’s training will be full of jokes about it and those will be jokes that the new guys will immediately be in on. It’s quite the icebreaker.

I've worked in London on and off for 15 years. There's at least one issue a week.

Oh and i'm not traveling 5 or 6 hours then having to play professional sport.

It's this Non league mentality and acceptance of cutting corners that highlights how far we have fallen.
Couldn't agree more and the events of the last 10 days have really brought that home. Feeling pretty low again tonight, let's hope lessons have been learned and whoever made the very poor decision on travel doesn't allow this to happen again and 🤞 this sad and embarrassing week can be forgotten.

Last edited:
Well I for one would take the events of the last few days over the refreshing of social media to see news from the courtroom about whether or not we were being wound up. We’ve got a good squad which is being added to, owners who are committed to the club with a long term plan and decent people around the place.

We’ve sold a player who we spotted in lower leagues and made a healthy profit, we found out a wrong’un (allegedly) and have signed 2 new players from prem and championship (adding to league signings) and will add more. I’d argue that with a bit more perspective this is nothing more than a bump in an exciting road.

I haven't read the posts on here but feel really embarrassed as a supporter and embarrassed for the club. I get the constant reminders of the financial mess the 🤡 left the club in but has it really come to having to scrimp on travel and go by train for a 215 mile journey the morning of the match?

Again I know this is a long term project but even the tin pot teams in this awful league manage to turn up to play, we are supposedly a big fish in this division not a Sunday league pub team 🤦🏼‍♂️

This has been a bad week for SUFC after the news of OK, HC moving on to a promotion rival with a fat wallet and the news of JD leaving and now this today.
You need to.

Back