• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
Cool. Yeah, the money saved here has gone on the new fan zone hasn't it, or sorting out the food and drink options, oh or the 6 new signings.

Stop accepting mediocrity. They didnt even realise one of their own players wasnt registered last week!

If this had happened under Ron, you'd all be losing your minds.
Unfortunately we are still under the influence of Ron, or rather the debts he ran up so its not about accepting mediocrity its simply a case of being pragmatic, the club is moving on but sometimes its two steps forward and one step back. I've seen plenty of businesses go under because of a lack of pragmatism at the right time, one of mine included.

Alli would ask is people start thinking this through logically. The emotional is getting in the way.
The only amateurish thing would be staying in a hotel overnight if we cannot afford it. Is the train cheaper. Obviously yes. Maybe we got a deal through C2C. If so good business. Do the sports scientists say it is better to travel 270 odd miles on the day by train or coach than stay overnight. Don't ask me I'm not a sports scientist but they will know. If it's the former we are amateurish. What are the statistical probabilities of a total power breakdown on a national intercity rail line between stations so the chances of being decanted to coaches is nil. Pretty unlikely I'd say. But if likely we're amateurish. Is the national rail service efficient. My experience is yes. If no then we're amateurish.What if the coach isn't there to take us the 10 miles to AFC Fylde. If we've arranged it properly it will be there.
All in all sometimes **** happens. I cannot see where the club is at fault. Annoying yes, amateurish no. We might even have saved enough money to pay off another debt. You never know.

Jesus Matt. I didn't think I'd have to explain this to you. Foregoing the chance of delay or cancelation ( which is naive not to consider. we are supposed to be a professional sports team. They shouldn't be traveling hundreds of miles on the day they are due to play professional sport.

We have a threadbare squad already, numerous players playing through injury and poor form. I'm sure sitting on a train for 3, 4 ,5 hours pre match really sets us up to do well.

It's one thing traveling to away games for 25 plus years to watch a game of football and be patronising after, it's another to be a professional athlete and perform to a decent standard.
I think it’s perfectly reasonable for professional athletes in L1 and below to make their way to Euston to take the 2 hour 9 minute train ride from London to Preston on the day of the match. From there it’s 10 miles to Fylde’s stadium. Many of the players will be living outside Southend and it may even be quicker for them to get to Euston than Roots Hall from their homes.

It is not uncommon for footballers to live over a hour from their club and spend hours a week driving (itself far worse for their body than train travel) to and from training.

I also suspect outside the elite the majority of professional athletes endure on occasion far worse travel itineraries. For example county cricketers or journeymen tennis players.

I have bumped into the squad on occasion travelling to and from games. You are only hearing about this because it went wrong on this one occasion.

The thing is it's not the easiest travel by train either, it's still a hell of a long day going on the day, baffles me really why this has been done. Southend to London, then the underground which is usually busy enough on a weekend, then another couple of hours sat on a train from London. Bonkers
It's quite possible they didn't meet in Southend - more likely meet in London - makes no sense for our staff and players who are based west of Southend to travel into Southend to then travel back out again

Be an interesting one - is the train company / Notwork rail liable for costs in relation to the cancelled game - over and above train ticket refunds for any passengers on the trains impacted?

I’ve been travelling to games by train for 25+ years and I’ve never been stuck on a train that has to be evacuated

Do you really think it’s worthwhile incurring the additional expense and inconvenience because of a once in a 25 year event?
Yes, I think I do.
Avanti West Coast is number one on the new government’s hit list for an early termination of contract, and nationalisation. Their service and reliability is truly awful.

Has anyone on here tried travelling up the M1, M6 on a Friday afternoon in August or in fact any Friday? likely it would take 9 or 10 hours with breaks. It was just unfortunate that the train the team were on broke down. I imagine they will be on the train again next Saturday to Oldham - 2hrs 6mins to Manchester and 30 minute drive.

Don’t forget we were busy trying to sign players yesterday

But they were arriving at 12.39 - not 1.50 - then 30 minute drive to ground - would have been there easily by 1.30

Whilst I do not dispute your timings IMHO when travelling especially on public transport you need to factor in the possibilities of delays or cancellations when deciding your departure time.

I would not wanted to cut it that fine as a fan so very disappointed the club chose too so hopefully this is a lesson learnt if using the train again for away games.

Not sure why people are so shocked about us travelling up on the day on the train. I’m sure we did it a few times a few years ago in League 1 under Brown.

I’ve even seen a Championship team travelling up on the day to a long distance away game on the train before. I really don’t think it’s as uncommon as people think.

Could benefit us anyway, we should have a replacement for Cardwell and a fit Walker/Waldron for the rearranged fixture.

If supporters were not aware of it before this latest fiasco should be a reality check. SUFC is a poverty stricken outfit struggling to exist day to day. Maintaining a mid table position in league 5 should be viewed as a triumph in view of the mediocre talents of the playing staff, the decrepit state of the stadium and the lack of a sugar daddy owner.

If supporters were not aware of it before this latest fiasco should be a reality check. SUFC is a poverty stricken outfit struggling to exist day to day. Maintaining a mid table position in league 5 should be viewed as a triumph in view of the mediocre talents of the playing staff, the decrepit state of the stadium and the lack of a sugar daddy owner.

That may be the truth of it but crowds won't be sustained if the norm is a mid table finish and existence is viewed as success.

As for today.

It's simple, coach for games within a 100 mile radius (which is most) and an overnight stay for games over 100 miles.

No way should the clubs players be travelling that distance on the day.

Be an interesting one - is the train company / Notwork rail liable for costs in relation to the cancelled game - over and above train ticket refunds for any passengers on the trains impacted?
I don't see why they would, it's not like they put the train on specifically for us.

Back