• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Let him go, knock in a few own-goals, they go down job done, and legend status is guaranteed. :happy: :thumbsup:

El rey ha muerto, jviva el rey! Move over Adam, King Ferdinand has taken over, and your salary might help bringing in a decent replacement. Thanks for all you have done and good luck for the future but I suspect its not with us.

Adam will be retiring at the end of the season anyway so will already be thinking about and looking at the next phase of his career. We are talking a handful of games between now and June, if he wants to play a few more games then fair enough but it is nowhere near a certainty.

If we wants to get into coaching I would suggest a more important consideration would be where do his best opportunities lie, Southend or Leyton Orient?

I agree about the fairytale ending most sportsmen continue on for a season or series too long and rarely go out at the top. I remember Nasser Hussain saying he could not better a century at Lords which is why he retired from playing for England earlier then he needed to. I guess that why Nico Rosberg has retired also

I don't know whether others will agree, but for me Adam's fairy tale ending was the Wembley play-off victory and his penalty (get in!). It really doesn't get any better than that as a Southend player. The fact that he managed another season last year was a bonus for him and a surprise to me as I thought he would retire post Wembley. This time round circumstances meant that we needed him, until we didn't. Do whatever you want to now Adam, Orient or stay here, you've earned the right to choose.

Oh. Yay.

Remains to be seen if Chairman C*** will even let us sign anyone this month.

El rey ha muerto, jviva el rey! Move over Adam, King Ferdinand has taken over, and your salary might help bringing in a decent replacement. Thanks for all you have done and good luck for the future but I suspect its not with us.

Who would have thought, Southend United are pleased to announce footballs first Civil partnership.

with 640 league games under his belt, he's in this company

Hall, Paul 646
Charlton, Bobby 644
Kamara, Chris 642
Day, Mervyn 642
Claridge, Steve 641
Mooney, Tommy 639
Windass, Dean 639
Wignall, Steve 639
Strachan, Gordon 638
Sansom, Kenny 637
Dixon, Lee 635

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._and_Scotland_by_number_of_league_appearances

An XI who played for SUFC

GK John Burridge 771
RB Frank Lampard Sr 585
LB Chris Powell 667
CB Andy Edwards 527
CB Adam Barrett 640
RM David Jack 521
LM Garry Nelson 647
CM Mick Gooding 700
CM Rob Newman 685
CF Tommy Mooney 639
CF Paul Furlong 584

Surprising number of forward options but a real struggle for midfielders

And good luck to him too. A great servant who deserves to be treated better than PB has over the past few months. He could still do a great job for us and has been treated disgracefully.

Whatever happens he will still and always will be a firm favourite at SUFC as he has been at every club he has represented.

A model professional in the true sense of the word.

He's been dropped for better players - harsh truth I'm afraid and one that Phil Brown is paid to make.
Agree with RootsHall Bloke and that play off image will last long. Thought he was decent last season but maybe this is one season too many - I think in his heart he knew it as well.

He's been dropped for better players - harsh truth I'm afraid and one that Phil Brown is paid to make.
Agree with RootsHall Bloke and that play off image will last long. Thought he was decent last season but maybe this is one season too many - I think in his heart he knew it as well.

The players on the pitch may be better than Barrett but we know that wasn't the reason he was dropped

Rootshallbloke;1928835[B said:
]I don't know whether others will agree, but for me Adam's fairy tale ending was the Wembley play-off victory and his penalty (get in!). [/B]It really doesn't get any better than that as a Southend player. The fact that he managed another season last year was a bonus for him and a surprise to me as I thought he would retire post Wembley. This time round circumstances meant that we needed him, until we didn't. Do whatever you want to now Adam, Orient or stay here, you've earned the right to choose.

Exactly. That was the ideal time for Adam to retire and whilst he played well the following season he was never going to better that and it would have been the ideal time for him to retire.

What was the reason then? sorry if its general knowledge but this news missed me.

As with a lot of things on ShrimperZone some will say that this or that happened and others will say no it didn't. There has never been a clear public statement as to why Barrett was dropped and neither will there be, not even from Barrett. When 'real' reasons are posted on here they often start nudging areas that could damage ShrimperZone's reputation legally so they don't get published or get removed.

The players on the pitch may be better than Barrett but we know that wasn't the reason he was dropped

You don't "know" anything of the kind. If you were at the Trust AGM (which you weren't), you would have heard from Adam's own mouth what transpired from his perspective, and which I, nor anyone else who was there, have discussed publicly.

You are making an assumption, the same as the rest of us, because you don't "know" what PB's feelings were, because they've never been made public.

You don't "know" anything of the kind. If you were at the Trust AGM (which you weren't), you would have heard from Adam's own mouth what transpired from his perspective, and which I, nor anyone else who was there, have discussed publicly.

You are making an assumption, the same as the rest of us, because you don't "know" what PB's feelings were, because they've never been made public.

I have been told the same thing by 2 different people (who have no connection) what was said to them by Adam himself. So yes, I do know what went on

Back