• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A list of Southend owners/chairmen

What ever happened to John Main? Is he still alive? Has he commented on the absolute bonfire The Rat has presided over in recent years or has he disappeared into the ether. I do recall in 1999/2000 era being handed a protest flyer outside the West stand about protesting against RM takeover a fanzine was trying to organise but my memory is very sketchy on this.
He’s not actively involved as a company director any more

Particularly intrigued by the thought of an era where the fans could have been described as Beatniks.

Beatniks:
A person who participated in a social movement of the 1950s and early 1960s which stressed artistic self-expression and the rejection of the mores of conventional society. broadly : a usually young and artistic person who rejects the mores of conventional society.

Thinking of Vic Jobson, one of my favourite David Webb newspaper interview quotes came when he became manager of Chelsea and was asked how he felt about working for Ken Bates, the notoriously 'difficult' Chelsea Chairman. Webby's reply was that Southend's Chairman, Vic Jobson, made Ken Bates seem like Mary Poppins.

And here we still are at our beloved Roots Hall.

I remember a comment at a game during a rather heated discussion circa 2005 ( & there was a lot of those but it was part of the fun) from my dear departed Uncle Barry who was a season ticket holder for decades up until his passing in 2008.

He said “new stadium? I believe it when I’m sitting in the bleedin’ thing” followed by an ironic cackle from him.

He wasn’t always right but was bang on where this is concerned. RIP Baz.
He also said Ron Martin was "a crook"

Back in the day after building Roots Hall in the mid 50s Supporters built a capacity of over 35,000. after decades of been homeless, we really did have the potential to be another Norwich/Ipswich or Coventry City . Southend had a massive catchment area.

Sadly we was a little unlucky on the pitch in the 60s and nearly made the old Division 2 a few times with crowds growing above 15,000.

Then came parasites in the early 80s who was more interest in the real estate around Roots Hall.

And now here we are today a Non-league club on the verge of going bust

What the **** has happened to my club :-(

If My Club dies, so will my interest in following another club sadly

I've alsow sing '' SOUTHEND TIE I DIE ''

Little shop at the end of the High Street demolished when they built the Royals. Apparently they chose Dixon's after going through the phone book looking for short names that would fit the sign. Probably an urban myth?.

I wonder if anyone could rank the list in order of best to worse ? 🫣

If I was to guess...

George Radford (saved the club)
C.N Newitt (long-serving chairman before and after WW2)
Bill Rubin (well-loved)
R.A Jones (local benefactor)
DeForest Morehouse (local benefactor and instrumental in Kursaal move)
Arthur Bewes (well-loved by all accounts)
Frank Walton (see Bewes)
John Main (liked, but tainted by association with Ron era?)
Alderman H H Smith (Two spells indicates some love)
Alderman Prevost (Unknown...)
WJ Kirby (Unknown)
Major Hay (Two spells, but wanted to manage the team, and disliked the fans)
Vic Jobson (...)
Anton Johnson/Andrew MacHutcheon (...)
Ron Martin (...)

Hard really to categorise, but I'd say I'd be confident that the top half should be in the top half and the bottom 4 are also OK.

Back in the day after building Roots Hall in the mid 50s Supporters built a capacity of over 35,000. after decades of been homeless, we really did have the potential to be another Norwich/Ipswich or Coventry City . Southend had a massive catchment area.

Sadly we was a little unlucky on the pitch in the 60s and nearly made the old Division 2 a few times with crowds growing above 15,000.

Then came parasites in the early 80s who was more interest in the real estate around Roots Hall.

And now here we are today a Non-league club on the verge of going bust

What the **** has happened to my club :-(

If My Club dies, so will my interest in following another club sadly

I've alsow sing '' SOUTHEND TIE I DIE ''
We never had an honest owner with the nous and skill to maximise on the clubs potential. This is my greatest sadness of SUFC

First mentions of chairmen I can find:

1909 - Chairman: Alderman Prevost
1910 - Chairman: R.A Jones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._A._Jones
1913 - Chairman: George Radford (personally bankrolled the team to stop it going bust)
1919 - Chairman: WJ Kirby
1924 - Chairman: DeForest Morehouse (owner of the Kursaal)
1934 - Chairman: C.N Newitt (awarded the George Cross in WW2)
1952 - Chairman: Major Hay
1953 - Chairman: Alderman H H Smith
1957 - Chairman: Arthur Bewes (sadly died after just taking over, becoming ill during the tour to Czechoslovakia)
1958 - Chairman: Major Hay (who also took over manager duties after Eddie Perry left, signing Billy Wall and Peter Corthine, and after Frank Broome was sacked, also took over as manager)
1959 - Chairman: Alderman H H Smith
1960: Chairman (and manager, see above): Major Hay (who was now getting criticism from the fans, and responded, calling them "beatniks". Fans boycotted a game in 1961/2 and only 4,754 turned up, the lowest attendance at Roots Hall)
1969 - Chairman: Bill Rubin
1980 - Chairman: Frank Walton
1983 - Owner: Anton Johnson bought 44.9% the from Bill Rubin's sons, Mark and Tony. Andrew MacHutcheon was a "puppet" chairman. Bobby Moore was also Chief Executive.
October 1984: Anton Johnson was arrested and a new regime led by Vic Jobson took over
1985 - Vic announces a new £14m stadium
1998 - Chairman: John Main
1998 - Owner: Ron Martin, and chairman since 2000

There are gaps obviously, so any edits welcome...

Are you sure C N Newitt was awarded a George Cross?

From A Century United

Did bit of research myself last night but not extensive..... C N Newitt wrote a book about his bomb disposal exploits but it was never published. Could not find anything else about the man

Also I had done some George Cross research a few years (long story). C N Newitt does not appear on the list on Wiki. Yes I know that isn't always correct

Not really, the George Medal is not the same as the George Cross.

Yes the George Cross is the equivalent of the VC. So far fewer awarded than the George Medal. Still fantastic effort from football club chairman....Well done Nev

Neville Newitt was a very honourable man, when in 1950 plans were being drawn up for a new ground their were two ideas, one a Stadium just for football and secondly a multi-sport stadium for the whole community. He definitely wanted the latter and campaigned long and hard for it. When the vote went the other way, he resigned as a point of principle.

A New Ground

Provision of a super sports stadium in Southend has occupied the attention of a large number of people in the town, many discussions have taken place and on Friday a step taken at Civic House when a trust deed will be signed with its object the provision of a ground for Southend United F.C. On this occasion I understand United Supporters Club will present a cheque described by a club official as a “staggering figure running into several thousand”. This would be the initial contribution but I understand the Supporters Club would devote the whole of their attention to raising funds for the project, and a substantial sum would be donated each year. The stadium will be the sports centre for Southend catering for all forms of sport. Mr Newitt even visualises possible provision of a swimming bath, squash and tennis courts, running tracks and cycle track.

Since the early days of professional football in Southend, the main problem has been to find suitable headquarters for Southend United. They have played on grounds at Roots Hall, the Kursaal and now at the Stadium. Throughout these difficult years the burning ambition of the directors has been to secure and establish a first class permanent headquarters for the club. On Friday 44 years after the inception of the club the first step towards this ambition was taken when a trust deed to provide a ground for Southend United was signed at Civic House. To launch the fund in fine style the Supporters Club made a donation of £10,000 which was handed to the mayor. Mr. Newitt stated the road ahead is hard their aim was at least £50,000 by 1954.

Signing of the Southend United F.C. Trust Deed on the 26th May 1950

Ah, fair enough - I stand corrected.
You was only quoting from that book so not your fault.

I did check the George Medal winners, as that's the obvious mistake, from WW2 and bizarrely he wasn't on the list I read.

Back