• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A best and worst XI of former Col U players

The late Chris Barker had a loan spell with Col U, moved around a bit before coming to us, definitely closer to being part of our best XI than worst.
Yes I mentioned Chris further up this thread, what a tragedy that was and such a shock, he was a lovely bloke another victim of men not speaking about how they were feeling, very sad. His brother Richie was a very good player too.

They must have played for Col U first on a perm basis...

Best XI:

Ben Coker
John White
Ollie Kensdale
Owen Simpson
Antony Wordsworth
Roy McDonough

Worst XI:

Carl Emberson
Cliff Fairchild
Garry Richards
Matt Heath
Ben Lewis
Dean Morgan
Greg Halford
Mario Walsh
Steve McGavin

Now I'm struggling.

Harsh on Halford. He wasn't even that bad and played up top when needed.

I can't believe no one has mentioned one of the best ex-Col U players we have ever had... and as far as I am aware, the only player to ever score a goal with only 8 men on the pitch.

Mark Warren.
Bugger - completely forgot ol Mark

Harsh on Halford. He wasn't even that bad and played up top when needed.
He was horrific.

A stand out bad player in the only ever Southend team to be relegated from the Football League.

All the mobility of a car on bricks.

Easily a contender for the all-time worst ever XI let alone the all-time worst ever XI to have played for Col Ewe first (although to be fair there’s substantial overlap between the two).

He was horrific.

A stand out bad player in the only ever Southend team to be relegated from the Football League.

All the mobility of a car on bricks.

Easily a contender for the all-time worst ever XI let alone the all-time worst ever XI to have played for Col Ewe first (although to be fair there’s substantial overlap between the two).
Yes he was a great player for us, signing as a youth player he soon proved himself, played over 160 games with very few were poor performances. Several Prem clubs were after him after our 1st season in the Championship, we turned down a big offer from Sheffield United but then were offered around £2.5 million by Reading and that was too good to turn down. He only played 3 games for them but they got their money back selling him to Sunderland, he only played 9 games there too! Greg suffers with Autism and I think that was the main reason he struggled to settle anywhere for long.

Back