• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wignall's best signing?

Wignall's best signing? - Silly season poll

• Jupp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warren

• Gower

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Broughton

• Corbett

• Wilson

• Husbands

• Hunt

• Constantine

• Stuart

• Total voters

sanchosser

Youth Team
I know things didn't work out with Steve Wignall, but I thank him for having a good eye for a player. Who do you reckon was his best signing?

(I think Hunt was signed shortly before Wignall left -- I may be wrong.)

I had to leave out:

Emberson
Odunsi
Fullarton
Robinson

its a bit obvious who most people hink will be the best player that wignall signed would be let me think the one that they had to PAY for maybe

I think it was Wignall who signed Hunt because I remember reading after a month or so he had played under 3 managers.

I believe his debut was v Northampton which was Wignall's last game.

Then he played under Webby and I think Tilly and Brush took over before the end of his first loan period.

I voted Constantine because, don't forget, we paid a fee for Gower - so it might be said that we had some expectations that he would do well.

Conny, on the other hand, was a freeby, brought in after the season had started, and reportedly on £500 a week. For that player then to score 25 goals that season is, I would suggest, an absolute bloomin' miracle!

So, on the basis that it was his most inspired signing, I've gone for Conny. I'm still amazed that people can be so blaze about a 25-goal striker potentially walking out of Roots Hall this summer... but there you have it.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 18 2004,09:42)]I voted Constantine because, don't forget, we paid a fee for Gower - so it might be said that we had some expectations that he would do well.

Conny, on the other hand, was a freeby, brought in after the season had started, and reportedly on £500 a week.  For that player then to score 25 goals that season is, I would suggest, an absolute bloomin' miracle!

So, on the basis that it was his most inspired signing, I've gone for Conny.  I'm still amazed that people can be so blaze about a 25-goal striker potentially walking out of Roots Hall this summer... but there you have it.

Matt
He has got 25 goals, but where are we in the table?

I would love to keep Constantine, but I would rather we got in a solid defence.

We're Southend fans pretty used to being let down, of course we're keeping up the barriers when it comes to good players, don't want to be hurt again.  
blues.gif

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ May 18 2004,09:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 18 2004,09:42)]I voted Constantine because, don't forget, we paid a fee for Gower - so it might be said that we had some expectations that he would do well.

Conny, on the other hand, was a freeby, brought in after the season had started, and reportedly on £500 a week.  For that player then to score 25 goals that season is, I would suggest, an absolute bloomin' miracle!

So, on the basis that it was his most inspired signing, I've gone for Conny.  I'm still amazed that people can be so blaze about a 25-goal striker potentially walking out of Roots Hall this summer... but there you have it.

Matt

We're Southend fans pretty used to being let down, of course we're keeping up the barriers when it comes to good players, don't want to be hurt again.  
blues.gif

smile.gif
For God's sake!

How much can you ask from the lad?? You talk about League position. Perhaps you haven't noticed but we tend to have ten other players on the pitch and sometimes, it may be appropriate to blame them for a lack of concentration/poor marking for instance, than to blame Constantine for not scoring a hat trick.

Look at Matt Le Tissier for instance. A great talent and superb to watch but Southampton never finished well. You can't blame him for that. Oh yeah, and he never scored more than twenty.

To be fair, you'd have to be tempted to move if you were Constantine because, in spite of being joint top scorer in the division (all comps) you still don't get credit from half the fans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 18 2004,10:18)]Come on. Own up. Which jokers voted for Broughton?
Me. If we didn't have Drewe in the side we would never had got to Cardiff.

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

And if we didn't have Drewe we might have beaten Scarboro and got to play Chelsea
wink.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 18 2004,10:43)]If we didn't have Drewe in the side we would never had got to Cardiff.
If we didn't have Flahavan in between the sticks, it would have been well easy for them to score.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 18 2004,13:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 18 2004,10:43)]If we didn't have Drewe in the side we would never had got to Cardiff.
If we didn't have Flahavan in between the sticks, it would have been well easy for them to score.
If Che Wilson hadn't been there for the final, Bullock would have had a free reign to do what he liked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ May 18 2004,13:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 18 2004,13:00)]
[b said:
If Che Wilson hadn't been there for the final, Bullock would have had a free reign to do what he liked.
If Bullock hadn't been there, Wilson may have had a good game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 18 2004,10:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ May 18 2004,09:55)]
[b said:

Matt

blues.gif

smile.gif
For God's sake!

How much can you ask from the lad??  You talk about League position.  Perhaps you haven't noticed but we tend to have ten other players on the pitch and sometimes, it may be appropriate to blame them for a lack of concentration/poor marking for instance, than to blame Constantine for not scoring a hat trick.

Look at Matt Le Tissier for instance.  A great talent and superb to watch but Southampton never finished well.  You can't blame him for that.  Oh yeah, and he never scored more than twenty.

To be fair, you'd have to be tempted to move  if you were Constantine because, in spite of being joint top scorer in the division (all comps) you still don't get credit from half the fans.
Agree entirely ! 25 Goals ! What more do you want ! Yes, I know - a defence !
So now get rid of Cort and Warren ! ( and Bramble and that hurts coz I thought he might just might make it ).

Back