• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why does the zone........

Shrimp in a Kilt

Turn "l o l" into laughing out loud?  I understand (and enjoy) things like C********r and Premier$hite, but l o l is supposed to be an acronym. Will the zone be spelling out ROTFLMAO next?

Yes, it is petty, but with so much euphoria spilling out of the message board, I felt I ought to restore the balance with a whingy post. But it does annoy me! Please turn that one off again.

down.gif

upside.gif

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ Mar. 06 2005,21:47)]Well from what i understood when this is first put into action!

It is part of the "Against text speak"
Ahh... I see. I dislike text-speak too, but I find "laughing out loud" vastly more irritating than l o l

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Mar. 06 2005,22:01)]Ahh... I see. I dislike text-speak too, but I find "laughing out loud" vastly more irritating than l o l
Then just type L0L instead
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hockley_Blues @ Mar. 06 2005,23:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Mar. 06 2005,22:01)]Ahh... I see. I dislike text-speak too, but I find "laughing out loud" vastly more irritating than l o l
Then just type L0L instead  
wink.gif
No no no, I don't particularly want to use it, it's when other people use it and the zone puts it in full that I get irritated.

There is a confusion here between "text speak" and e-mail acronyms. People writing e-mails and posting to message boards have always had acronyms, this is not the same as texting with altered spellings.

A quick search of the web will bring up loads of sites with a history of e-mail and e-mail acronyms,

e,g, This one.

I actually don't see the point of spelling out the acronym anyway, it doesn't in any way inhibit people from using it, and if you are being consistent, then IMHO you should either spell out all commonly used acronyms, or ban people from using them.

(IMHO, TTIGTBPS)*

*In My Humble Opinion, This Topic Is Going To Be "Pubbed" Soon!

wink.gif

Back