• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why didn't we turn up?

Welly7

Coach
The fans certainly did their bit last night. The support was out of this world, especially from 4-0 down. The 2000+ who made the trip all did Southend United proud...unfortunately the players didn't.
I know Doncaster are a very good side, but so are we. So what happened to us last night?
I cannot believe that in a play off semi-final the game was only competitive for the opening nine minutes. After the pen the heads seemed to drop when faced with the task of turning it around. I don't doubt that the result hurt the players as much as it did the fans, but the way that they gave up the ghost was shocking. I thought players want to play in big, big games, but as a team they couldn't handle the pressure of last night and we simply didn't turn up. The heads went down far too easily and in those situations when you are 2-0 down in a big game you find out a lot about people. I'd imagine the players are full of regrets this morning, but it's too late now.
Could Tilly have done anything to stop the embarrassment?
Blues have always struggled when teams have more in the centre of midfield than us. It was clear that Rovers were out playing us and we couldn't get near them, so why wasn't Walker moved wide right, with Moose coming inside in a 451. I doubt it would have had any bearing on the result, but we kept the same system, chasing shadows and didn't try anything to combat them.
All in all it was a very disappointing conclusion to a season that promised so much from a side that should have given the fans something that warranted the great support they received last night.

The heads seemed to go down after we went 1-0 down which was stupid cause it was an early goal and at that time we had a great chance of getting back in it , if Walker hadn't hit the bar and he hit the back of the net with that chance early on it could of been a different game.

In the end though Donny throughly deserved the win, outplayed us all over the pitch

It does make you wonder if the Donny heads would have gone in the same direction had Walker done the easy thing and hit the target from 6 yards. We would then have been in comtrol relaxed a bit and with that increadible surpport behind ..... who knows.

I know we didnt put in performance of the season when we shouldve but we were beaten by the better team. The 5-1 slightly flattered them but 3 or 4 was definately deserved by them. No need for this talk of not turning up. It wasnt our time this year. Onwards to next season and hope of automatics.

We did turn up, and should have gone 1-0 up.

Up until the time the ref intervened Donny weren't head and shoulders better than us, but that penalty changed the game. Once our dwarf keeper allowed Barrett to nod into his own net that killed it off.

It was then a similar story to the championship season when teams clinically finished us off. I think Donny only had 5 shots all night (plus the goal we scored for them).

We did turn up, and should have gone 1-0 up.

Up until the time the ref intervened Donny weren't head and shoulders better than us, but that penalty changed the game. Once our dwarf keeper allowed Barrett to nod into his own net that killed it off.

It was then a similar story to the championship season when teams clinically finished us off. I think Donny only had 5 shots all night (plus the goal we scored for them).

Have you seen the replay of the goal on the TV, it appears that Clarke got in Flavs way to claim the cross and Clarke failed to deal with the cross (header back across the goal) when maybe he could have cleared it.

Have you seen the replay of the goal on the TV, it appears that Clarke got in Flavs way to claim the cross and Clarke failed to deal with the cross (header back across the goal) when maybe he could have cleared it.

But (and remember I am a big Flav's fan) if we had a more dominating keeper, Clarke wouldn't have felt the need to come charging in to clear it - Donnie kept well clear of Sullivan in similar situations to give him the space to deal with balls like that.

Sorry to be negative after such superb support last night, but I think the loss was purely down to the manager.

Mr Tison did not seem to learn a thing from the 1st leg at Roots Hall.

Imo he should of realised that we were completely out played / numbered in mid field that night and what did he do about it?.... diddly squat....

What did he do about it during the game?..... diddly squat....

He said on the radio before the game that he was going to play exactly the same way we had been... Music to the ears of the opposing manager!

Sorry I usually support Tilson but on this occasion I think he messed up.

Sorry to be negative after such superb support last night, but I think the loss was purely down to the manager.

Imo he should of realised that we were completely out played / numbered in mid field that night and what did he do about it?.... diddly squat....

He said on the radio before the game that he was going to play exactly the same way we had been... Music to the ears of the opposing manager!

Don't think you've picked the right time to be negative at all there.

FWIW, I can't lay the blame for the oggy at Clarke's feet, I think Franno may have been slightly culpable in not dealing with their chap that put the cross over.

What could he have done? Doncaster were given a goal head-start, and everything last night that could go their way did. It was one of them games. They were fantastic, fast, strong and skilful, and being 2 down in 20 minutes killed us completely.

You cannot plan to go 1 down after 10 minutes to a soft penalty. It's a huge killer in a huge game.

Er, did you watch both games? Didn't you notice that in the first game Tommy Black, a winger started, and in the second Franck Moussa played tucked in?

Er, did you watch both games? Didn't you notice that in the first game Tommy Black, a winger started, and in the second Franck Moussa played tucked in?

Tommy Black did not play in the 1st leg, he was on the pitch yes but he didnt play! (subbed I seem to recall)

Moussa may as well have been tucked up in bed, why play such an inexperienced player and one who has hardly figured all season (5 appearances all season I think) in such an important game, it wasn't fair on the lad imho.

Don't think you've picked the right time to be negative at all there.

FWIW, I can't lay the blame for the oggy at Clarke's feet, I think Franno may have been slightly culpable in not dealing with their chap that put the cross over.

Sorry to disagree, but please watch the replays. Who was initially marking Price as the cross came in from Doncaster's right and then ended up ball-watching and lost his man? And for the first goal, who got caught wrong-side and then gave away yet another set-piece in a dangerous area (this time in the box)? Not blaming one player for last night's defeat, but for all his great tackles, it's something I've seen for a long time - Peter Clarke goes to sleep sometimes and good teams will punish us for it. Often teams at League One level don't make a telling pass or clinical finish. Last night was different. Doncaster was a superb team and made us pay.

Don't get me wrong. I like Clarke's wholehearted style, he gives his all and cares about the club. But if he can eliminate his lapses in concentration (just as Leon Cort has done since he's left us) and pass to feet a bit more (both of which he did against Walsall at the peak of our run), he would win me over.

You can't pin the defeat on one man. Firstly, Doncaster was superb. Secondly, where was the rest of our team? Had we peaked too soon? The team that gave Walsall a masterclass in football would have made it an excellent game between two excellent teams. Unfortunately, people may be wondering how we got into the play-offs based on last night.

One thing's for certain - the team and our fans were both a credit. Neither gave up and showed their passion even when 3/4/5-0 down.

What a wonderful season again, Tilly and Brush - well done. Keep up the good work. Let's hope you and the team aren't too despondent after the manner of last night's defeat. We don't need too many changes for next season. A bit of stability now would be good. More defensive cover, tighten up the defence (eg concentration and keeping a solid back-line so we don't play people onside as happened a bit last night) and this promising young side can only get better.

Up the Blues!

Sorry to disagree, but please watch the replays. Who was initially marking Price as the cross came in from Doncaster's right and then ended up ball-watching and lost his man? And for the first goal, who got caught wrong-side and then gave away yet another set-piece in a dangerous area (this time in the box)? Not blaming one player for last night's defeat, but for all his great tackles, it's something I've seen for a long time - Peter Clarke goes to sleep sometimes and good teams will punish us for it. Often teams at League One level don't make a telling pass or clinical finish. Last night was different. Doncaster was a superb team and made us pay.

You can't pin the defeat on one man. Firstly, Doncaster was superb. Secondly, where was the rest of our team? Had we peaked too soon? The team that gave Walsall a masterclass in football would have made it an excellent game between two excellent teams. Unfortunately, people may be wondering how we got into the play-offs based on last night.

I did watch several replays thank you, being at home, and for the 2nd goal Barrett was marking Price, which is how come he ended up getting his head to it. Francis definitely should have done better in trying to prevent the cross from coming in. I agree Clarke let Price get goal side for the pen but it was never a foul. Don't quite understand the point you're making, I certainly haven't blamed the defeat on one man, in fact, I think you'll find I've been one of the more positive posters on the subject of the defeat.

On the day Doncaster knew where the net was, and we didnot, impressed over both legs by Donnie, and as stated in a previous post, it was the one the club no one thought of in the play offs

We finish 6th, they finish 3rd, it showed on the two games why that position was valid.Good luck to them think they could turn over Leeds, if they play their normal game at Wembley

I did watch several replays thank you, being at home, and for the 2nd goal Barrett was marking Price, which is how come he ended up getting his head to it. Francis definitely should have done better in trying to prevent the cross from coming in. I agree Clarke let Price get goal side for the pen but it was never a foul. Don't quite understand the point you're making, I certainly haven't blamed the defeat on one man, in fact, I think you'll find I've been one of the more positive posters on the subject of the defeat.

No attack on you intended! Not saying YOU were blaming one man - just saying I didn't want to blame one man either. However, watch the replays again. Barrett was covering because Clarke had lost the man he was initially marking and then let go as he ended up watching the ball instead.

It could have been a different game if Walker had scored, as Rovers aren't good at coming from behind. But these things happen in football, and Rovers are the early jitters then put on an impressive display which Southend on the night were not able to match, but full credit to all your fans who were there, you were an amazing credit to your club, you made the evening an awesome atmosphere that hasn't been matched at the KM.

finally a thread i agree with... we were woeful last night and on the pitch it was embarrasing!!! Yes Doncaster are a much better team than us.. i think they were the better team in all four matches this season and i dont want to take anything away from Donny but some of the goals we conceded were just clumsy and shocking.. we simply were not good enough for one reason or another!

On a positive note though at christmas i never would have thought we would be in the playoffs especially with the likes of harrold, hooper and hunt playing. At least we've had another pretty exciting season and there are positives to be taken out of the season i.e. we know what players we need and dont need for next season! I did try to enjoy myself as much as i could last night but today it hurts, and i feel let down we didnt put up more of a fight.

but theres always next season, bring on the title!

I don't believe in all this heads going down rubbish. if we're 2-0 down after 20 mins, someone should of rallied and said look, we got 70 minutes to turn this round.

Heads dropping after 1 / 2 early goals is a really poor excuse in my mind... and not how professionals should be. Its the play off semi final for gods sake not a friendly. Bottom line is we werent as good as them and never looked like doing anything other than that first chance that wayward walker missed. I think in reality we have gone a bit li ke watford, we had our spell of form up until carlisle and then it went out the window. Bailey and co have been fantastic this season but he has faded rapidly in my opinion as the season came to a close. know way near as dominating as they were at the start.

AND WHATS WITH GOWER ALWAYS HITTING THE FIRST F***KING MAN WITH CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe in all this heads going down rubbish. if we're 2-0 down after 20 mins, someone should of rallied and said look, we got 70 minutes to turn this round.

Heads dropping after 1 / 2 early goals is a really poor excuse in my mind... and not how professionals should be. Its the play off semi final for gods sake not a friendly. Bottom line is we werent as good as them and never looked like doing anything other than that first chance that wayward walker missed. I think in reality we have gone a bit li ke watford, we had our spell of form up until carlisle and then it went out the window. Bailey and co have been fantastic this season but he has faded rapidly in my opinion as the season came to a close. know way near as dominating as they were at the start.

AND WHATS WITH GOWER ALWAYS HITTING THE FIRST F***KING MAN WITH CORNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it!!

Back