• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Good old uncle Ron is obviously still using the 700 quid a week Leon Constantine wage structure so we can only attract the league 1/2 players ala Matt Harold etc. Looks like we are striving for a big new stadium with no one to go in it, and quite honestly Paynter and the new boy will prove to be Tilly mistakes as we are at a different level now. Broughton/Jones/Webb type cheapo's just won't hack it anymore, as our prize asset Eastwood is reputed to be on around a whopping 2k a week what chance have we got of getting someone looking to have proper money in his pocket!

Every club has to have a structure Wiggy and I dont blame Ron for not breaking it.

In fairness when a top of the range (For Southend) player come up for grabs - Robinson etc we were in there without a shot and talking of offering more money that Swansea so I think your being unfair.

Or maybe we could have the nice new stadium you talk about empty permanently as we have gone bankrupt from over spending.

We are a smallish club is a biggish league - It is always going to be hard to attract the top players....Look at Crewe, Brighton, Millwall etc they are no different......

DtS
down.gif

Better that than paying wages above our means due to our fan base and capacity and entering into a Leeds situation surely.

Would you be happy with highly paid players placing us in debt and then lose the club in a few years whilst these players bugger off somewhere else.

We have a budget and we have to live to it doing the best we can basic business logic really
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 01 2006,14:42)]Good old uncle Ron is obviously still using the 700 quid a week Leon Constantine wage structure so we can only attract the league 1/2 players ala Matt Harold etc. Looks like we are striving for a big new stadium with no one to go in it, and quite honestly Paynter and the new boy will prove to be Tilly mistakes as we are at a different level now.  Broughton/Jones/Webb  type cheapo's just won't hack it anymore, as our prize asset Eastwood is reputed to be on around a whopping 2k a week what chance have we got of getting someone looking to have proper money in his pocket!
More tripe spouted from this half wit of a girl!
glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Sep. 01 2006,14:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 01 2006,14:42)]Good old uncle Ron is obviously still using the 700 quid a week Leon Constantine wage structure so we can only attract the league 1/2 players ala Matt Harold etc. Looks like we are striving for a big new stadium with no one to go in it, and quite honestly Paynter and the new boy will prove to be Tilly mistakes as we are at a different level now.  Broughton/Jones/Webb  type cheapo's just won't hack it anymore, as our prize asset Eastwood is reputed to be on around a whopping 2k a week what chance have we got of getting someone looking to have proper money in his pocket!
glare.gif
Foul mouth, still around!

You're forgetting that League rules now state we can only spend 60% of our gate money on wages.

That means, for example, that Crystal Palace, who have double our gate and where it also costs more to get in will have considerably more leverage than us. We can't hope to compete with teams in this division on wages while our gates are 9,000. So we have to buy from lower divisions.

That's just the way it is unfortunately..

Your post also completely disregards the mess we got into the last time we tried to compete with teams from this division on wages.

Apart from that, it was an excellent argument..

What happens if we get players on big wages on 3 year contracts and they end up to be sh!t. What if we get relegated? We would really find ourselves in a mess then. It has happened before.We simply don't  have the funds at this moment in time to be competing what some of the bigger teams in this league can offer people.At the end of the day I would rather have a stable team than no team at all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 01 2006,14:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Sep. 01 2006,14:51)]
[b said:
glare.gif
Foul mouth, still around!
Always been around sweet cheeks maybe if you pulled your head out of your best mates wheat field you would know that!

Its a fine balancing act at the moment.. We cannot compete with the Leeds' Palaces,Norwich's, Wednesdays of this league on wages yet, and nor will we be able to for some time.. but its all about time.. If Southend can establish themselves in this League, and have cup run or two.. If West Ham go belly up with their new Iranian chum. If Southend can become the team of choice for the youth on the area.. Then in a few years who knows what might be achieved.. Success breed fans..Even if we got relegated I think we would have more 'hard core' fans now than 2 seasons ago.. You never know . one day we could be a club the size of Norwich..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Sep. 01 2006,14:54)]You're forgetting that League rules now state we can only spend 60% of our gate money on wages.

That means, for example, that Crystal Palace, who have double our gate and where it also costs more to get in will have considerably more leverage than us. We can't hope to compete with teams in this division on wages while our gates are 9,000. So we have to buy from lower divisions.

That's just the way it is unfortunately..

Your post also completely disregards the mess we got into the last time we tried to compete with teams from this division on wages.

Apart from that, it was an excellent argument..
I know all this, it's been covered before, i'm just saying that everyone seems to have got the ump about Paynter and Harold, yet have been living in dreamland banding about all sorts of ridiculous names. Basically you get what you pay for and Tilson is going to struggle to get in the type of player that we all want!

I tend to agree with what our Wiggy has to say. Afterall, lets accept it, we arn't going to be bringing in BIG players on BIG wages. The size of club won't allow for that. We have to rely on excellent management and eye for a good player. Although some of Tillys more recent signings have raised the eyebrow in terms of quality, he hasn't been wrong yet and these players havn't had enough time on the pitch to prove themselves yet. Also, we need to remember that Tilly won't always get it right - the blokes a God but even he can make the odd mistake in the transfer market. Ferguson, Mourinho et al have all made mistakes and Tilly will join them.

The bit playing inside an empty stadium is a bit premature and niave - christ, we havn't even got the stadium yet! Bottom line is that if we try to compete with the negligent clubs a la Leeds then we will fail and we will be playing infront of zero crowds.

In the middle of winter when the injuries start stacking up we may be glad to see the Paynters and Harolds of this squad plying their trade on boggy pitches in force 7 gales..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 01 2006,15:12)]I know all this, it's been covered before, i'm just saying that everyone seems to have got the ump about Paynter and Harold, yet have been living in dreamland banding about all sorts of ridiculous names. Basically you get what you pay for and Tilson is going to struggle to get in the type of player that we all want!
Oh I see.

That didn't really come across in the original post
wink.gif

Actually, I was having a conversation with someone at lunchtime on a similar theme. I felt we might struggle if we continue to do what we've been doing for the past two years, which has basically been getting in players that have gone a bit stale somewhere else and then Tilly's man-management skills bringing the best out of them.
This proved enough for Leagues Two and One but I think you need something extra for the Championship.
I agree with your latter post a lot more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ Sep. 01 2006,15:15)]I tend to agree with what our Wiggy has to say. Afterall, lets accept it, we arn't going to be bringing in BIG players on BIG wages. The size of club won't allow for that. We have to rely on excellent management and eye for a good player. Although some of Tillys more recent signings have raised the eyebrow in terms of quality, he hasn't been wrong yet and these players havn't had enough time on the pitch to prove themselves yet. Also, we need to remember that Tilly won't always get it right - the blokes a God but even he can make the odd mistake in the transfer market. Ferguson, Mourinho et al have all made mistakes and Tilly will join them.

The bit playing inside an empty stadium is a bit premature and niave - christ, we havn't even got the stadium yet! Bottom line is that if we try to compete with the negligent clubs a la Leeds then we will fail and we will be playing infront of zero crowds.
Many of the signings come across as incredibly cheap, and it's probably a case that we played hard ball up to the last minute, and Harrold/Yeovil securing a good deal for us.

I read he is Chingford based, so if he's not paying rent in Yeovil it might seem like a payrise even if he is on low wages.

Goater and Bradbury were signed having had contracts part paid off by their previous clubs and I suspect Leeds are paying some of Ricketts wages. There is a theme.

I sometimes wonder if we should sign one player for the wages of two, but that would upset the wage structure.

Would we have preferred an Andy Robinson instead of Paynter and Harrold?

But if fans and players alike can't work out that a Freddy deserves more than a Che they must be on the wrong planet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 01 2006,16:12)]... i'm just saying that everyone seems to have got the ump about Paynter and Harold, yet have been living in dreamland banding about all sorts of ridiculous names. Basically you get what you pay for and Tilson is going to struggle to get in the type of player that we all want!
I agree with you on some issues, wiggy. I have to say that I've been sitting back and chuckling quietly (whilst dipping toes in the Med) at the antics of this forum in the past four or five weeks and the claims and counter-claims with regards to quality of signings are quite amazing. We are a small club with a limited budget. Quality players are not going to be attracted to Roots Hall (or Fossetts Farm) without a significant increase in that budget and that isn't going to happen now or in the forseeable future. The slating of Paynter and now Harrold is quite amazing, almost on the verge of obscene. I blame the Football Manager / FIFA Soccer culture on creating a breed of football fans who believe they can do better (which they can, of course, with ridiculous budgets) but actually know sweet FA about the intricacies of running a football club. Tilson and his team have to work with what they are given in terms of budget (whatever that may be at the moment; NONE of us will know) and try to attract the highest quality of player with that budget.

So far he's done quite well, don't you think?!

Back