• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wesley Fonguck departs for Ebbsfleet

Massive thanks and respect for Wes' application and loyalty while he was with us. Will always remember him as a Former Blue welcome back to the Hall and be thankful for his efforts in a Blue shirt.

But times move on and the team must evolve and Wes' time.had come imho.

Thanks for everything Wes!

Wes will always be welcomed back, as should all those who've stuck with us last 2 years. Always ran his socks off for us and a nice lad. Best of luck to him.

I may be in the minority but I loved watching Wes play. Appreciate he wasn’t your cup of tea if your idea of a midfielder is crashing into tackles and winning the ball back but he offered different attributes to the rest of our midfield even if he wasn’t always the most consistent. Attributes that made me look forward to games.

He never hid as he was always available for a pass even on his off days. He had a silky touch and great timing. His ability to wriggle past a man when hemmed in against the touchline was unsurpassed. His workrate was underestimated due to his languid running style but he was a key part of our pressing game with his unselfish closing siphoning play into our areas of strength and allowing teammates to make the tackle.

Above all he made Bridge a better player and their partnership was as good an understanding as I’ve seen in nearly four decades. Remember that when you complain that Bridge isn’t as effective next year and want him replaced.

Others may be able to pass to Bridge but they lack the timing that Wes had with him to spring him free. That slight delay, waiting until the defender had been drawn in was a delight to watch. Wes was the one who made us tick through making the most of Bridge. We’ll see if Morton can replicate that. It’ll be a tough act to follow, not least because Wes’ skills were subtle and often underappreciated. Sometimes you don’t know what you had until it’s gone.

Thank you Wes for not just sticking with us through our darkest hours but illuminating it with your skills. The team we had for the last two seasons is amongst the most enjoyable to watch in many a year and you were an integral part of that. 🫡

I'm going to wish him well and agree with @Yorkshire Blue that he offered a very specific type of overlapping run on the left that helped bring the best out of Bridge and hope that whoever we bring in in his stead can replicate that.

I may be in the minority but I loved watching Wes play. Appreciate he wasn’t your cup of tea if your idea of a midfielder is crashing into tackles and winning the ball back but he offered different attributes to the rest of our midfield even if he wasn’t always the most consistent. Attributes that made me look forward to games.

He never hid as he was always available for a pass even on his off days. He had a silky touch and great timing. His ability to wriggle past a man when hemmed in against the touchline was unsurpassed. His workrate was underestimated due to his languid running style but he was a key part of our pressing game with his unselfish closing siphoning play into our areas of strength and allowing teammates to make the tackle.

Above all he made Bridge a better player and their partnership was as good an understanding as I’ve seen in nearly four decades. Remember that when you complain that Bridge isn’t as effective next year and want him replaced.

Others may be able to pass to Bridge but they lack the timing that Wes had with him to spring him free. That slight delay, waiting until the defender had been drawn in was a delight to watch. Wes was the one who made us tick through making the most of Bridge. We’ll see if Morton can replicate that. It’ll be a tough act to follow, not least because Wes’ skills were subtle and often underappreciated. Sometimes you don’t know what you had until it’s gone.

Thank you Wes for not just sticking with us through our darkest hours but illuminating it with your skills. The team we had for the last two seasons is amongst the most enjoyable to watch in many a year and you were an integral part of that. 🫡
Good post YB. Wes linked up well with JB as you say and some of the best football we played last season, he was an integral part of it. Hope he thrives at Ebbsfleet.

Definitely a great character to have around and contributed to the teams great showing last season. Linked up well with Bridge but didnt get into the box enough for me and the midfield is an area we need more goal contributions from.

We know Darren Currie wanted him to 'stop walking Wes' as he was broadcast around the ground when our tannoy announcer feels the need to turn the mic on for about two minutes before we make a sub.

He appears to be a fine fellow, and one you could share a pint with.
But his contribution despite all else was negligible. Another poster summed up all his good bits in one shortish post!
The telling thing is the club's (Kev's) stance. That says it all, eh?

Back