• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-1 Southend Utd.

Just read a post saying don't get excited when we win and don't get too down when we lose......
May the best team win, and its all about taking part.

Sounds like primary school sports day.....maybe that's what some people believe we should be like.

I think the original poster was alluding to the fact that that some on here act like primary school children.

If results don't go our way they chuck their big teddy called Kev in the corner and threaten to start supporting Man City.

Or they have a screaming tantrum at COSU for not buying them more toys......Even the cheap nasty ones that they will be bored with in less than 90mins.

Reading all of the views on here gives me the impression that many of you are missing the point which was the quality of the burgers in the away end last night.

Absolutely delightful and if we should be poaching anyone from Wealdstone it should be the bloke flipping those bad boys.
They looked quality. Quickly regretted getting the cheesy chips with the unmelted cheese

Every team has the occasional 'bad day at the office'. We've had three bad days in the last 5 games which is more than a blip so surely it's reasonable to discuss what is behind that without getting exasperated at anyone with a critical view of players, coaches, tactics or even the owners. The protracted sale, the disrupted training area refurb, the Kensdale affair and the injuries will all have had a negative affect but I don't think you can use contradictory reasons for poor form. On one hand defeats were explained as due to the players not getting paid. Then when they are getting paid it's because we've lost the siege mentality. A poor performance by a signing from part time football is because he needs a few months to adjust to full time football, then when our team of full time professionals need a last minute equaliser against a team of part timers with one win in eleven you can't express disappointment because this is the level we're at. It's starting to look like we can prepare for another season in this league and next season there will be a whole raft of new excuses. I'm in the camp that thinks it's too early to be panicking, changing coaches, 4-4-2 or any of that but I'm interested to read any view on how things could be improved.

Player for player we are as good and better than probably 3/4 of the League
Even if true, the teamwork takes a little time to click. Yesterday we only had 6 players starting that were regular starters last season, and only 1 on the bench that has been here over a season. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Hopefully performances will improve over the coming weeks.

Expect how many people say that?

There's nothing wrong with applauding our followings but have you actually seen anyone say that it means we will win because it's worth extra points and we "deserve" it?
I've seen plenty of comments like 'we should be beating these teams'. Nothing wrong with applauding our followings but to expect us to roll over these teams because of it - and because we're an ex-FPL club in the NL - is wrong. The only way we get out of this league is through results & hard work, like everyone else.

Edit - just read that Cards had another late appearance off the bench for FGR - yet he was part of the spine of our team. This is what we're up against - and they have **** crowds. We might just have to forget the play offs for the minute.

Last edited:
....and what about now on an even keel against total rubbish teams? Sutton were going nowhere, same with Fylde and as for Wealdstone, well they expected to get done 3 0. So powder puff when the chips should be up, something wrong somewhere?
You must live a very sad lonely life being so down on everything. I almost feel for you.

We are what we are. An inconsistent team carrying injured and unfit players, and suffering the loss of three key players - Cardwell, Wes and Kensdale - who provided a great balance. We may have a slightly bigger squad but the first team is arguably weaker than last season's as it stands.

I know the Wealdstone commentators weren't the best but they were spot on when one of them said he felt less anxious about our forward line this season.

A few thoughts. Moncur seriously needs a rest. His two efforts in the second half epitomised his lack of match fitness. If you have tired legs you find yourself miskicking and underhitting the ball. You only have to look at penalty shoot-outs as an example. I still have faith in Bonne but he remains way off the pace.

On the plus side, KAF looks like a very promising signing. Loving his energy both on and off the ball, and Walker is on his way back, which is a bonus. Still think we need to manage him though. Hamstring injuries need to be monitored.

Football is not an exact science. The main reason we beat Solihull was due to them playing very open football, allowing us to capitalise on the space we were given, while Wealdstone largely played with 10 men behind the ball, making them tougher to break down. It's no coincidence that England's best performance in the Euros was the first half against the Netherlands when they left gaps which should have been exploited. In the second half the Netherlands played a more rigid system.

Maher is not beyond criticism but he must have been excited about this season, only for Ron lingering and nearly killing our club. There's still a chance of making the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll have to settle for mid-table. Next season should be much more exciting. For those wanting Maher out, be careful what you wish for.

Do you honestly think a different manager would play the same method with these same players, don't think so. This squad is better than this but set up with the same old boring methods, time he went. Give Currie the gig, can't be a worse watch!

Your post doesn’t make sense Wigs.

The style we play - high pressing, possession football - is utilised by most managers and teams these days. Any new manager coming in would likely play the same, including Currie.

The ones who don’t conform to it are the Phil Browns of this world. None of us would prefer going back to that, not even you.

You say the squad are better than this. Sure, they are, just as they’ve shown against Boston, Eastleigh & Solihull. We’ve also more than matched Oldham, York & Barnet this season.

We played horrendously against Fylde, Sutton & Wealdstone (last night being the worst of the bunch) which you’re obligated to say is Maher’s fault. I’d say it’s the inevitability of playing 4 games in 10 days with such a small squad.

Your post doesn’t make sense Wigs.

The style we play - high pressing, possession football - is utilised by most managers and teams these days. Any new manager coming in would likely play the same, including Currie.

The ones who don’t conform to it are the Phil Browns of this world. None of us would prefer going back to that, not even you.

You say the squad are better than this. Sure, they are, just as they’ve shown against Boston, Eastleigh & Solihull. We’ve also more than matched Oldham, York & Barnet this season.

We played horrendously against Fylde, Sutton & Wealdstone (last night being the worst of the bunch) which you’re obligated to say is Maher’s fault. I’d say it’s the inevitability of playing 4 games in 10 days with such a small squad.
Bit worrying as it will be 5 games in 15 days on Saturday with several players missing.

Every team has the occasional 'bad day at the office'. We've had three bad days in the last 5 games which is more than a blip so surely it's reasonable to discuss what is behind that without getting exasperated at anyone with a critical view of players, coaches, tactics or even the owners. The protracted sale, the disrupted training area refurb, the Kensdale affair and the injuries will all have had a negative affect but I don't think you can use contradictory reasons for poor form. On one hand defeats were explained as due to the players not getting paid. Then when they are getting paid it's because we've lost the siege mentality. A poor performance by a signing from part time football is because he needs a few months to adjust to full time football, then when our team of full time professionals need a last minute equaliser against a team of part timers with one win in eleven you can't express disappointment because this is the level we're at. It's starting to look like we can prepare for another season in this league and next season there will be a whole raft of new excuses. I'm in the camp that thinks it's too early to be panicking, changing coaches, 4-4-2 or any of that but I'm interested to read any view on how things could be improved.

You’ve already cracked the case in the opening paragraph.

“3 bad days out of the last 5 games”.

Those 5 games have been played over the course of 14 days. With such a small squad of players, that’s a difficult task for anyone.

Take into consideration we’ve lost our best players whilst simultaneously trying to give new recruits a pre-season during games & you’ve kinda got your answer right there.

Frustrating watch again for second successive Tuesday but as per last week, I slept on the frustration and allow pragmatism and reality to return the following morning.

Performances against Eastleigh and Solihull shows that this squad has the ability to play football and good football at that. Eastleigh in particular I would include in some of the best football I have seen a Southend team play in the 32 years of supporting Southend.

Give or take 1 or 2 players, the lion share this was their 4th game in 11 days and that is going to take its toll. Add to that Bonne, Moncur, Bim arguably didn't have a pre season so will be feeling that even more. In addition to that we have lost the spine of our team overnight. That is huge on any scale but in particular Miley and Cardwell who fundamental to the way we play.

Morton is showing signs he can cover Miley and when he came on it was telling that Taylor and Ralph popped up in the final 3rd far more than when Husin was in that position. Miley's ability to see the gaps and cover is different level.

And Cardwell's work rate was for me his biggest value and neither Bonne or Bim (looked really leggy last night) have that (at the moment). Our tempo and style relies on the press but it has to be done as a whole and if there are gaps, the whole thing doesnt work and that showed last night and in the 1st half last Tuesday against Fylde. No different than England in the Summer with Kane uptop.

Is it doom and gloom? No. I still believe we have every chance of playoffs this season. We need a couple of bodies but no point in just recruiting for the sake of it. I think a Woodman type loan from last season needed to cover for Taylor if out a for a few weeks to allow JS time to find the next Kensdale and any other gems who are coming to the forefront in leagues below.

The last few weeks have been quite the journey for me on this forum. I just cannot understand the mentality of some on here.

The “big club” argument. This only holds true in terms of fan base. And even then, come on! We should embrace being a smaller club and enjoy the fact we have more access to players and staff and they are part of our community. Not some remote Premier League monster. As we stand now as a club we are only 50+ days into being run properly with certain elements being put into place to increase revenue and give us a fighting chance. To be a genuine “big club” at this level we first need to get the overall structure in place. We are years behind others in this division for that very reason.

The “new signings are not good enough” argument. It is widely known that we were under yet another embargo at the start of the summer whilst awaiting the takeover and therefore missed out on a number of key targets yet again. Therefore the management team have again been fishing in a different pool to what they had hoped. Who knows what difference this would have made to the current team but we can assume we may have a few more bodies in through the door to cover for the current injury crisis.

The “passing sideways and backwards” argument. I did not watch the recent away games at Solihull and Wealdstone. However the reactionary “finally we passed forwards” at Solihull have changed back to the “negative tactics” mob after Wealdstone. In all honesty I think you will find we will end up playing a system somewhere in between gung ho and park the bus. But what is Maher supposed to do when he is scrapping for results? I also believe that despite not getting the run of results we all hope for that the recents games I have seen we have shown considerable attacking intent but without the end result. Once we click I imagine those results will start to change.

Ultimately I believe we need to be patient with the current management. I think we will start to get the results once the pieces of the club start to be put in place to support them.

Anyway a point is a point and onwards to Saturday.
Spot on…patience…football has become such an immediate results business. We need stability as there is so much to rebuild at this club.

There always an an excuse to why we aren't performing well, Small squad, too many games, injuries , time of the month... There does come a time when we have to stand up and admit it's just not good enough.
If a player is tired, put him on bench, if a player is injured use his understudy. These things happen to other teams, yet they still manage to sort it out.
I don't want to keep moaning about the blues, but we seem to have had such a long time in the doldrums, we should be moving forward and improving.
Too many times already we have played really poorly, against really poor teams that other side tear to pieces.
We all have different opinions, and that's mine, I'm sick of us being rubbish....I'm off to bed now

Moncur and Bonne probably need a rest, George has done well but his goal contributions remain zero. Its a long standing problem the lack of goals from midfield. Gus' amazing exploits have covered up the lack of a decent final ball or touch for most of the midfield and forward line.

In answer to your last point, I can't help but feel the tone is set by how many back passes Collin receives.
Yeah, I see the need on occasion, but last night, unlike Saturday, he must have received it 10-12 times in the first 30 minutes.
Keep ball at this level is all well and good providing something comes from it.
When Barnet do same it's in the opponents final third, not so much their defence.
I'd like our players to think forward rather than back, but an awful lot default to the safety pass.
At this level, second ball comes into play, and I'd rather we scurried after that: KAF did particularly well in that regard.
Barnet do one-touch getting forward, but frankly, I don't think that's in Jack Bridge's DNA.
Let's face it, the more times the ball is in a fifth-tier opponents box whether hoofed, passed or shanked there, the more chance it will end up in their net.

Back