• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-1 Southend Utd.

Didn't see the game as I am away but sounds dreadful listening to the comments on here.

I know 1,001 excuses will be offered on here as they always are but seriously, we can't beat Wealdstone? we have 14 points from 11 games and the consistency of runny custard.

I don't have the answer but we do have a far better squad than most of the utter rubbish we have drawn with or got beaten by and always struggle against the poor teams as we just don't seem to know how to play them or have a plan B, we are mostly so negative and scared of playing attacking football and sadly that will not get us out of this sh!#e league for a very long time.

💙

95th minute equaliser against a literal part time outfit and this guy shows up so desperate not to upset his mates at the club, belittles the fan base week on week.

We should all be delighted shouldn't we?

I don't know what you are the chairman of, but what ever it is, it can't be something that represents the fan base.
I think to be a successful chairman you have to be level headed, thoughtful and try to avoid being too impetuous. See Ron Martin

95th minute equaliser against a literal part time outfit and this guy shows up so desperate not to upset his mates at the club, belittles the fan base week on week.

I don't know what you are the chairman of, but what ever it is, it can't be something that represents the fan base.
Not called for.

5s all round except

Morton 7

Pepple 6
Maher don’t like Morton but Husin is in every game.
That was yet another backwards sideways shi te performance against the Dog n’ Duck

I know he’s a favourite but Harry Taylor instigates all that get the ball, give it back to a bloke that’s nearer our goal than ours, wowww that was a bad watch!
Collin’s distribution was so much better again although the goal he came off a slow second best.
Kaf looks a good addition, Moncur not as good tonight, is he being coached out of playing football?
Bonne another non existent one although supply line cr ap.
Bridge , time for a last half hour cameo off the bench!
What do we expect Saturday, no one knows?

Hard to know what to think after that. We defo didn’t deserve to lose so credit where credit is due to at least get a draw. First half was truly dreadful. Second half we were better but time and time again crosses were under hit, over hit, played behind the player and it was becoming very frustrating. Gus came very close, KAF even closer, Moncur shot wide and over and KAF also blazed over under pressure. It wasn’t through want of trying but again our lack of a killer instinct there on Saturday was missing tonight. Morton was excellent when he came on but I was confused why Bim was taken off rather the tired looking Moncur. Not sure how many of us were there but I would guess around 800. Not a great atmosphere from either sets of fans but then let’s face it the ground is a ****hole. So in the end happy to get a point but not happy in not getting all three as the game was there to win. A tough game Saturday coming up and now with 2/5 of our regular defence missing. Taylor likely to be quite a few weeks so surely another CB on loan needs to be brought in

Colin- 6 not much to do but not sure he covered himself in glory fir their goal
Gus - 6 the usual performance and nearly scored
Taylor- 6 largely untroubled but now looks like a hamstring injury. Will be a big loss
Crowther 7 - the pick of the CB and kept the CF quiet
Ralph - 6 the sane as Taylor but a 5th yellow and not an injury but will be a big miss Saturday
Bridge -5 simply not happening for him at the moment. Still trying to beat his man 3 or 4 times instead of getting his head up and crossing. Corners woeful
Husin- 6 worked hard, but continually fouled and like so often had the chance to pull the trigger but opted to pass rather than shoot
Moncur- 6 showed some lovely touches and skill but really should have scored at least one of his chances
KAF- 7.5 Mom for me, incredible work rate and full of energy. Unlucky not to score again
Pepple- 7 worked hard and unfortunate to be taken off at 0-0
Bonne- 6 leads the line well and shows his experience but just doesn’t look like he will score at the moment

Subs
Morton 7- played very well when he came on and kept us pushing forward
Wind- 6 not long enough to properly judge
Walker -7 didn’t do much but when it matters he put the ball in the net
Gubbins- 6 again not long enough to judge

So overall a frustrating night. A game we should have won, could have lost but in the end it’s a point gained. Really feels like a transition season for the club. But in a league where anyone can beat anyone a run of wins will see us in the mix for sure

Last edited:
That was a difficult game to watch, but at least I was in comfort at home, and I feel sorry for the faithful 700 plus that actually made the trip.

Wealdstone appeared to be a poor side that we should have put to the sword, but we gave them the initiative and they began to look more purposeful and threatening than us.

We were very flat footed, with passes going astray all over the pitch, and reverted to our dallying with the ball at the back and numerous back passes to Collin. Wealdstone’s tactics in the first half were clearly to keep as many men as possible behind the ball and catch us on the break. Had they had a little more quality and/or composure up front they might well have done so but they squandered the breakaways they actually made. When sides play like that against us we don’t seem to have the nous to break them down or draw them out and, in my opinion, that is why we will draw or lose matches to teams we feel we ought to be punishing.

The second half became a bit more open, with substitute Cesay helping Wealdstone to push forward more down their left flank. We were trying to move forward, more so after Morton came on, but we were not really creating much. The way the match was panning out, it just felt as though the home side were likely to grab a goal. Sure enough, they did, in the first minute of added on time when we failed to deal properly with a free kick launched into the box. At that point with only a few more minutes of time left, it seemed we were going to leave empty handed. However, one thing we can say about our boys is that they never stop trying and the one piece of quality, for which we had been searching all evening, came in the 94th minute. Gus put a superb low cross into the box and Josh Walker’s striker’s instinct had him in the right place to guide the ball into the Wealdstone net.

A game we perhaps should have won but ended with us being thankful for a point thanks to a below par performance on the night.

Until some people wake up and smell the coffee the fact that we are not doing a Wrexham won’t sink in.

Really?

Do you honestly think that fans think we are the "new Wrexham"

I've not met a single fan that thinks that.

What we are, is a very big club at this level who should be competitive and always aiming for top spot. End of.

I, like most, recognise we haven't had the best prep and lost a couple of key players but let's be honest. This team should still be easily able to finish top 7 and secure a play off spot. We started on 0 points which is a head start on last season.

That tonight, particularly first half was one of the poorest performances since we have been at this level.

We have issues with injuries and short numbers, but last year we played better with 12 or 13 players than with this seasons 18 or so.

Something doesn't feel right at the moment. Don't know what, but the team aren't gelling.

Nobody expects 200k signings but we have been poor in the market, albeit one or two are upgrades and excuses about all and sundry are starting to wear a little thin.

You haven't read the post have you? I can't see where he says he's delighted. And you appear to have missed quite a lot of criticism, possibly because it's constructive and considered rather than reactionary and abusive.

Really?

What we are, is a very big club at this level who should be competitive and always aiming for top spot. End of.

I, like most, recognise we haven't had the best prep and lost a couple of key players but let's be honest. This team should still be easily able to finish top 7 and secure a play off spot. We started on 0 points which is a head start on last season.

That tonight, particularly first half was one of the poorest performances since we have been at this level.

We have issues with injuries and short numbers, but last year we played better with 12 or 13 players than with this seasons 18 or so.

Something doesn't feel right at the moment. Don't know what, but the team aren't gelling.

Nobody expects 200k signings but we have been poor in the market, albeit one or two are upgrades and excuses about all and sundry are starting to wear a little thin.
I get your points and this is not a binary argument. Maybe the fact I’m overseas and don’t have to sit through the ‘punishment’ is a factor.

Historically we were a bigger club than most in this league. Recent history means that we could also have been history. We have a massive fan base and will probably be top 2/3 in the league even if attendances tail off.

History counts for nothing though. Performances and results not good enough? That’s undeniable but I repeat what I’ve said after previous games. This season will be much easier to bear if fans have no expectations.

For me Kev’s only in danger if we slip into a relegation dogfight. Next season who knows? COSU may have higher aspirations than this season and may determine that a new team is needed to achieve it.

I get your points and this is not a binary argument. Maybe the fact I’m overseas and don’t have to sit through the ‘punishment’ is a factor.

Historically we were a bigger club than most in this league. Recent history means that we could also have been history. We have a massive fan base and will probably be top 2/3 in the league even if attendances tail off.

History counts for nothing though. Performances and results not good enough? That’s undeniable but I repeat what I’ve said after previous games. This season will be much easier to bear if fans have no expectations.

For me Kev’s only in danger if we slip into a relegation dogfight. Next season who knows? COSU may have higher aspirations than this season and may determine that a new team is needed to achieve it.
If you take into acount we would have finished 6th last year without the points deduction and had a team of 13 or so, I really don't think it's unreasonable to aim for at least the same again and a play off place.

We can use all of the excuses under the sun but the performances are worse than last season, and we really did have a lot to complain about then.

After reading the threads on the match and thinking about the game ,i myself will put a little bit of blame directly on Kev and co, Here was a chance to give some players like Moncur , Noor ,and Bonne a chance to rest up before Saturday from your threads its obvious to me they needed a rest. Now some of you will say we dont have the players to rest them I for one will disagree, All its needed is a change of Formation ,with so many matches is such a short period of time players need a rest especially those that have not had a good preseason. heres a formation that could have been played giving those players a break before a big game on Saturday against Gateshead .
Collin--- Gus,--- Taylor--- Crowther--- Ralph
------ Kaf --- Morton------
---Wood ---Bonne/ Moncur/Walker-----Bridge
--------------------Pepple -----------
notice i have the 3 of Bonne, Moncur and Walker together thats because Maher could have divided their playing time to give them some restand Walker his cameo. Player management is important.

I tend to agree. I will go one further and say that I think we will finish mid-table.
Dep
If you take into acount we would have finished 6th last year without the points deduction and had a team of 13 or so, I really don't think it's unreasonable to aim for at least the same again and a play off place.

We can use all of the excuses under the sun but the performances are worse than last season, and we really did have a lot to complain about then.
last season is irrelevant I’d say it’s tougher this year, the siege mentality created . Also he few players we did have were better.

Really?

Perfectly summed up 👍

Back