• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-1 Southend Utd.

Just simply absolutely ****ing awful AGAIN if any clown thinks this is ****ing acceptable or good or part of the process honestly needs their ****inf head cut open and their brains scooped out with a spoon … if this is actually us form now on then I’m done … this is simply ****ing awful
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out 👋🏻

That's what i don't understand?. Playing a team who have won 1 of their last 10 games (?), lost 3-0 at home on Saturday, & confidence must be very low?.
So the game plan must be to put them to the sword, yet we dilly dally about like a friendly game?.
Quite get all over them- an early goal and they go like a pack of cards. Instead we showed less drive than in many of the pre season friendlies- for the first half at least.

Our squad is light- first we are short up front, now equally so at the back. We need a defender in next week- going to a back four with a RB at LB brings back horror memories of Elvis at Portsmouth…

I do think we are mid table for a reason.
Too many players don’t have the confidence and inner belief to get hold of the ball and try to make things happen when going forward.
However there are too many players that are happy just to play safe.
We are desperate for a leader on the pitch, who leads by example. It may rub off on some of the other players, who knows 🤷‍♂️.
Just my take on things, I just post what I think.

Morton has to start as he is passes forward and moves us up the pitch quicker.
We had this the other week, then he was poor got dropped...etc etc.
As previously stated. No ones bemoaning Kev and what he’s done but right now the football is god awful, slow and lethargic. With the quality we have in the squad we should be yielding better performances and results.
Again I think you're over egging the quality in the squad. Moncur keeps the ball well....that's about it. Bonne....meh. pepple is okish. Unfortunately my prediction of Bridge having a down year is coming true.
Gubbins ain't it....note we conceded when he came on.
Late to the transfer party has cost us...thanks Ron.

I wonder if Wind can play on the left, given Taylor is also out? I’d firmly keep Gus where he is on the right and don’t really want Bridge at LB replacing Ralph. Taylor a big loss, wouldn’t be too bothered about Ralph, he’s been very average for a while now but without depth he is a loss too
Wouldn't you have wind on the right, Crowther in middle and gubbins on left?

Gubbins and bridge on left side scares me somewhat though!

Ah, another thread of overreactions. Fun!

Same as I said after Saturday. Don't get too high after win, and don't get too low after a loss. We're an average National League team at the minute with the players that we've lost to injuries and other clubs, and those losses have affected us on the pitch and in the dressing room. A mini rebuild is needed.

That was poor, though.

First half was just limp, from both teams. One of the most boring halves of football I've ever watched Southend compete in.

As poor as Wealdstone were on the ball, I actually thought they did well off the ball. Saturday's game was quite open and Solihull stood off us, which suited our game and gave us time and space to move the ball quicker.

Wealdstone were well-organised, and pressed well. They kept closing our passing lanes, which is why the pace dropped and we went sideways and backwards more. Kev would have told them to keep at it and stay patient, keep knocking at the door, which I think is the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, when we started getting somewhere and created some chances, they were missed. A couple of them fairly gilt-edged, too.

Those are the sorts of chances we need to be taking, especially in a game like that. Even just one.

I thought we looked better when Morton came on, as we had absolutely no control in midfield up until that point (missed Cav tonight, imo), and he helped us to move it better. That's when we got on top, but just needed to take one of those opportunities.

Weladstone's goal was calamitous. The Taylor substitution just beforehand probably ended up being a bit disruptive when we were about to defend a free kick. Collin's attempt to come for the ball was late and weak, but Gus and Wind were just as at fault. Both ball watched and let McFarlane ghost in behind them. Really poor.

Walker was a bright point. Took his goal well and looked to make some decent runs off the ball.

KAF showed energy and tried to make things happen, but didn't have the time and space he had against Solihull.

Moncur and Husin look knackered. In fact, a lot of them look tired. Thats what happens when you have another disjointed pre-season, and not enough options to change things up and rest some bodies.

We need improvements to personnel. They're not going to come at the moment, possibly not this side of Christmas. Until then, we've got what we've got, and hopefully things will click a bit better when players are back from injury.

Last edited:
So after we lose to Gateshead we can judge them? :Tumbleweed:

Same as I said after Saturday. Don't get too high after win, and don't get too low after a loss. We're an average National League team at the minute with the players that we've lost to injuries and other clubs, and those losses have affected us on the pitch and in the dressing room. A mini rebuild is needed.

That was poor, though.

First half was just limp, from both teams. One of the most boring halves of football I've ever watched Southend compete in.

As poor as Wealdstone were on the ball, I actually thought they did well off the ball. Saturday's game was quite open and Solihull stood off us, which suited our game and gave us time and space to move the ball quicker.

Wealdstone were well-organised, and pressed well. They kept closing our passing lanes, which is why the pace dropped and we went sideways and backwards more. Kev would have told them to keep at it and stay patient, keep knocking at the door, which I think is the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, when we started getting somewhere and created some chances, they were missed. A couple of them fairly gilt-edged, too.

Those are the sorts of chances we need to be taking, especially in a game like that. Even just one.

I thought we looked better when Morton came on, as we had absolutely no control in midfield up until that point, and he helped us to move it better. That's when we got on top, but just needed to take one of those opportunities.

Weladstone's goal was calamitous. The Taylor substitution just beforehand probably ended up being a bit disruptive when we were about to defend a free kick. Collin's attempt to come for the ball was late and weak, but Gus and Wind were just as at fault. Both ball watched and let McFarlane ghost in behind them. Really poor.

Walker was a bright point. Took his goal well and looked to make some decent runs off the ball.

We need improvements to personnel. They're not going to come at the moment, possibly not this side of Christmas. Until then, we've got what we've got, and hopefully things will click a bit better when players are back from injury.
Couldn’t of summed it up better

Again I think you're over egging the quality in the squad. Moncur keeps the ball well....that's about it. Bonne....meh. pepple is okish. Unfortunately my prediction of Bridge having a down year is coming true.
Horses for courses. Tonight was a perfect game for Morton to start. I get don’t change a winning team but if teams sit back then we need to mix it up

We're an hour ahead over here, so one of the problems I can have with night games is going to bed with the adrenaline still rushing. Tonight it's not adrenaline but frustration which could keep me awake. What on earth can you say after that total nightmare? The first-half doesn't deserve anymore comment and the second period didn't start too well either, with Collin keeping us level........nothing spectacular, just reassuring. Eventually, we did get going (a bit) and put them under pressure (we are talking about a part-time team!) Apart from one or two half chances, which should have seen us take the lead, there was still too much sloppy play with overhit passes and poor delivery. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, Ralph gets a booking (and a suspension???) and worsey worser, Taylor goes down with, what looked like a hamstring problem! In the rushed reorganisation at the back we get caught out and Wealdstone did what they hardly ever do....... bloody score! (Was Collin slow to come for it???) I'm afraid I was so down in the dumps at that point, even Walker's late equaliser failed to get me over excited. An awful game; a terrible result (in the context); a yellow card suspension; quite a bad looking injury; conceding right at the death........a perfect s**tstorm of a night........what a pity the rain didn't manage to get it called off! On a very minor side, I found both commentaries pretty awful but they probably reflected well on what was on offer. Let's move on ........to Saturday.......could someone arrange a monsoon and get it postponed?????
An hour ahead? You could have warned us on 30 minutes about the last 60 .....

That was poor, though.

I thought we looked better when Morton came on, as we had absolutely no control in midfield up until that point, and he helped us to move it better. That's when we got on top, but just needed to take one of those opportunities.

Spot on. Season of transition was predicted by many, and given that we've already lost the spine of the team already for varying reasons, inconsistency should be no surprise.

I might add that I found that as hard to watch as anyone. Absolute dogs hit. But that's not anyone's fault given what has gone on.

Mitigation is not excuses. They are very different things.

Yeah I don’t think any of those signings were 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice. We’ll hopefully finally have a full crack at the targets we want next season. People don’t want to hear that as they want this year to be the one we go up. Currently, no chance. Walker will help, Miley will help and Coker will help but we’re still a few players short. That said the players we do have are capable of better than tonight.

Consistency .. lack of .. is killing us.

We were awful for the most part, against a Wealdstone side who were/are even more ****ing awful.

Moncur looked tired which was reflected in two poor finishes from good positions. Easy to say in hindsight but he should have been rested from the start.

Bridge was ineffective, certainly hasn’t been at his best this season. Time to bring some competition in?

Everyone else was either average or poor, apart from KAF who was excellent.

Have no issues with the nature of the Morton sub, as something needed to change in midfield and we did improve after it. But why was it not for Bonne? Bonne was poor, doesn’t look suited to playing up front by himself, and Pepple was playing better anyway.

Can’t say I’m 100% convinced by Crowther or Gubbins yet, so slightly concerned about how many we’re going to concede to Gateshead without Ralph and Taylor…

And yet another game where we wouldn’t have scored a goal without GSM. Where will the goals come from if he goes in January?

I do think we are mid table for a reason.
Too many players don’t have the confidence and inner belief to get hold of the ball and try to make things happen when going forward.
However there are too many players that are happy just to play safe.
We are desperate for a leader on the pitch, who leads by example. It may rub off on some of the other players, who knows 🤷‍♂️.
Just my take on things, I just post what I think.
I tend to agree. I will go one further and say that I think we will finish mid-table.

Two sides who largely cancelled each other out.

Wealdstone sat deep and we struggled to break them down. Consequently much of the game was us passing sideways, unable to get behind them.

I actually thought our passing started better than it has been most of the season. After winning Saturday I thought we passed with a bit more fluency with some good one touch stuff early on but it never went anywhere. Sooner or later someone would just cut back/pass back to Collin/or misplay a straightforward ball. Our forwards weren’t utilised - maybe had we played the ball into them and had runners coming off of them we might have hurt Wealdstone?

With hindsight Morton should have started. He gave us more control when he came on. Moncur was very disappointing: this was a game where we needed his directness and him to run at people. He seemed tired and ineffectual. With a bit more composure he may have actually scored but he fired one over and wasted our best chance shooting tamely into the side netting. If that was our best chance KAF came closest with a superb lob that was narrowly clawed away. He was probably the pick of midfield.

Bonne was also struggling after playing Saturday as Maher continues to try and play him into fitness. I know he didn’t have a pre-season but after four games he’s still looking less fit than the rest of the squad did at Wakering.

Hopefully Taylor’s injury wasn’t serious. We conceded as soon as he went off. Hopefully Bridge is ok. We can’t lose him and Ralph who is now suspended for Saturday.

The main positive was our goal, hopefully reducing some of the despair. It should also give Walker some confidence. He got in a good position to take it.

That was poor, though.

I thought we looked better when Morton came on, as we had absolutely no control in midfield up until that point (missed Cav tonight, imo), and he helped us to move it better. That's when we got on top, but just needed to take one of those opportunities.

KAF showed energy and tried to make things happen, but didn't have the time and space he had against Solihull.

Moncur and Husin look knackered. In fact, a lot of them look tired. Thats what happens when you have another disjointed pre-season, and not enough options to change things up and rest some bodies.

95th minute equaliser against a literal part time outfit and this guy shows up so desperate not to upset his mates at the club, belittles the fan base week on week.

We should all be delighted shouldn't we?

I don't know what you are the chairman of, but what ever it is, it can't be something that represents the fan base.

Only watched it on tv, but it wasn’t great.

First half we had all of the ball, but nothing happened.

Second half, they started brighter but still nothing happened. Kev then made the Morton switch and we had 3 or 4 good chances and should have won the game. Then of course we gift a goal, and then score the equaliser.

Wealdstone were poor, but we deserved the points if anyone did. We weren’t brave enough with the ball at times.

Marks -

Collin 5
Gus 6
Crowther 6
Ralph 5
Taylor 6
Bridge 6
Husin 6 (he played well after Morton came on)
Moncur 5
KAF 7 (mom)
Bonne 3
Pepple 5

Subs
Morton 6
Walker 7
Gubbins 5
Wind 6 (partly to blame for the goal, but great ball out to Gus for our goal)

Back