• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-1 Southend Utd.

As previously stated. No ones bemoaning Kev and what he’s done but right now the football is god awful, slow and lethargic. With the quality we have in the squad we should be yielding better performances and results.
It's not coincidence that on Saturday and against Eastleigh we were more attacking and free flowing and won. We play slow, crab style football and we struggle.

Someone needs to give Noor a damn good talking to and question him about his focus and passing choice. If it wasn't for the lack of bodies I'd be benching him for a minimum of 5 games. tonight he gave the ball away really cheaply too many times.

First half the whole team were woeful. No-one found a forward pass, there was no movement and we never troubled their keeper at all.

Second half was a little better, but still we played at a pedestrian pace. Kaf tried hard, but needs to cut out the attempted shots when a player is standing in front of him, but was the only player trying to use pace in an offensive way.

Corners were poor and just another demonstration of how wasteful we were tonight. Moreton did well when he came on and we did try and stretch the play.

Walker showed what a poacher he is. We need to put more balls across the box when he is on the pitch.

The back three looked better, although we still have a nasty habit of wanting an extra touch rather than passing swiftly, which plays ourselves into trouble at times.

A point is a point, but the possible loss of Taylor and Ralph is going to stretch us even further on Saturday.

I can't knock the character in coming back from a late goal. That's the biggest positive from tonight.

Don't expect high scores, not after a performance like that and 6 is average.

Collin - 6
Gus - 7
Taylor - 6
Crowther - 6
Ralph - 6
Bridge - 5
KAF - 7
Husin - 4
Moncur - 6
Pepple - 6
Bonne - 4

Subs

Morton - 7
Walker - 7
Wind - 6
Gubbins - 6

Entertainment value - 1 and that's only for the goals in added time!

Last edited:
Pointless really commenting anymore as there will always be an excuse to counter our sub-standard performances.
This'll just go on next season and the season after.
Our standards have been so artificially crushed that most people are seemingly delighted with scraping a draw against part timers. Lower mid table beckons...but then, there's an excuse for that...

****ing horrendous. Nothing more to say really, Gateshead will fill us in if we play anything like that this weekend
When we played Gateshead at home last season, they impressed me with their fitness throughout the 90 mins. But that was then & this is now.
We can hope that their 2nd long trek in 2 weeks to this part of the S.E. will see them giving a similar performance as they did against Dagenham, but i won't hold my breathe?.

I come into this season with optimism and excitement for the first time in God knows how many years. Ron gone, people behind the club who have the club at heart and kept pretty much all of a very close to play off achieving side from last season.

Fast forward to 10 games in and I think I was less depressed by the back to the walls 12 squad player days of last year! Losing Kensdale and Cards was tough, but not unsurmountable, but Solihull aside this seasons performances have been horrendous. Mediocre, sideways, back, zero intent of attacking, and then when we do, no composure or ability to finish ( Gus aside)

Today's game was a real chance to add to Saturdays great performance and put a team that is pretty much nailed on to go down beat...massive fail.

Collin - not much to do, almost set up the impressive KAF - 6

Gus - didn't score, how dare he. Great cross for the goal -7

Taylor - his injury is a real blow but few slaxk passes today -6

Ralph - meh, don't know why he's captain, looks as inspiring as a soiled nappy - 5

Crowther - he's alright, basically lower league Harry Maguire, had a good header just off target-5

Bridge - did naff all first half, some good stuff in the second, but most of his jinks and showboating lead to a cross that struggles to pass the first three blades of grass in the direction he kicks -5

Moncur - mare of a game for him, with the skill set he has. Poor finishing, seemed to lack drive - maybe over played and tired? -4

KAF - I know a few had reservations with him being small, but I remember Jay Smith who was a great little player for us. Had a great game, everywhere, looking to make things happen - superb lob - My MOM - 8

Noor - plop - not good at all today -4

Bonne - I hope it's just ring rust, currently looks as effective as Barrington Belgrave - 3

Pimple - runs around a lot, strong but not his best game for us - 5

Morton - weird sub I thought at the time, but bought balance and got the ball forward quicker-6

Walker - please stay fit, seems to be the only forward with any finishing ability- 7

We need bodies in badly or this season will fizzle out and the goodwill bought by the takeover will be gone.
No leaders on the pitch! and dare I say it possibly players wanting to be suspended .

I come into this season with optimism and excitement for the first time in God knows how many years. Ron gone, people behind the club who have the club at heart and kept pretty much all of a very close to play off achieving side from last season.

Fast forward to 10 games in and I think I was less depressed by the back to the walls 12 squad player days of last year! Losing Kensdale and Cards was tough, but not unsurmountable, but Solihull aside this seasons performances have been horrendous. Mediocre, sideways, back, zero intent of attacking, and then when we do, no composure or ability to finish ( Gus aside)

Today's game was a real chance to add to Saturdays great performance and put a team that is pretty much nailed on to go down beat...massive fail.

Collin - not much to do, almost set up the impressive KAF - 6

Gus - didn't score, how dare he. Great cross for the goal -7

Taylor - his injury is a real blow but few slaxk passes today -6

Ralph - meh, don't know why he's captain, looks as inspiring as a soiled nappy - 5

Crowther - he's alright, basically lower league Harry Maguire, had a good header just off target-5

Bridge - did naff all first half, some good stuff in the second, but most of his jinks and showboating lead to a cross that struggles to pass the first three blades of grass in the direction he kicks -5

Moncur - mare of a game for him, with the skill set he has. Poor finishing, seemed to lack drive - maybe over played and tired? -4

KAF - I know a few had reservations with him being small, but I remember Jay Smith who was a great little player for us. Had a great game, everywhere, looking to make things happen - superb lob - My MOM - 8

Noor - plop - not good at all today -4

Bonne - I hope it's just ring rust, currently looks as effective as Barrington Belgrave - 3

Pimple - runs around a lot, strong but not his best game for us - 5

Morton - weird sub I thought at the time, but bought balance and got the ball forward quicker-6

Walker - please stay fit, seems to be the only forward with any finishing ability- 7

We need bodies in badly or this season will fizzle out and the goodwill bought by the takeover will be gone.
Gatecrasher - 10 for spot-on player assessments.

Dreadful first half lacking any urgency or tempo to our play making us so easy to defend against.
Great tactical change by Kev to bring on Morton to help us regain control in the midfield on the hour mark.
Suddenly we began to create chances and moved the ball a bit quicker. We really should have scored at least two before the late sucker punch.
Great save by their keeper to keep out Appiah-Forson's fantastic deft lob.

We deservedly grabbed a share of the spoils though thanks to a great cross from Gus which Walker stooped low to head in.

An off night for Bonne as his lack of a pre season really showed.

A tough ask now on Saturday without Ralph and the injured Taylor.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Morton part of a makeshift back 3 alongside Crowther and Gubbins.

A point was not what we wanted but if nothing else you have to admire our never say die attitude.

Let's keep the faith.

We're an average National League side this year, after years of working miracles. Losing the spine of the team within a week in August has cost us dearly, and losing Taylor tonight instantly cost us what should have been the winner for an extremely poor side.

Fortunately we still have a strong mentality and it is great to see a goal from Walker.

I agree with a lot of what has been said, we were too slow and although he is a terrific player generally, Husin was the chief culprit tonight. Playing in that 6 role he seems scared to turn on the ball and go forward.

Wealdstone were absolutely there for the taking but like Fylde and Sutton we let them gain confidence by not stamping our authority early on. That first half was dire.

Moncur missed two very good chances and you feel we need 4 or 5 good chances to score. That is not on Kevin Maher, that is down to individuals and confidence.

Equally at the other end, we seem to be punished for every lapse at the moment and there was no danger from Wealdstone until they scored and it looked like Fylde MKII.

Football is a mad game and it is why we love it. Some try to make sense of it by over simplifying it and claiming it is all the manager's fault etc.

I'm sure Kev is tearing his hair out too, but we need to be more Solihull and less tonight if we're going to challenge.

Crazy football tonight. Play 70 minutes as if we're playing for a 0-0. So negative. Then the last 20 minutes we seemed to realise how bad they were, and we start attacking and being positive. If only we took the game to them from the start. They were there for the taking.
That's what i don't understand?. Playing a team who have won 1 of their last 10 games (?), lost 3-0 at home on Saturday, & confidence must be very low?.
So the game plan must be to put them to the sword, yet we dilly dally about like a friendly game?.

Two fit CBs at the club....we may see 4 at the back on Saturday. With Gus at LB 🤣
I wonder if Wind can play on the left, given Taylor is also out? I’d firmly keep Gus where he is on the right and don’t really want Bridge at LB replacing Ralph. Taylor a big loss, wouldn’t be too bothered about Ralph, he’s been very average for a while now but without depth he is a loss too

It's not coincidence that on Saturday and against Eastleigh we were more attacking and free flowing and won. We play slow, crab style football and we struggle.
I think Solihull and Eastleigh try to play football and that gives us space to exploit. It seems like our problem is that if the opposition isn't leaving gaps themselves then we have no idea how to create them ourselves.

We're an hour ahead over here, so one of the problems I can have with night games is going to bed with the adrenaline still rushing. Tonight it's not adrenaline but frustration which could keep me awake. What on earth can you say after that total nightmare? The first-half doesn't deserve anymore comment and the second period didn't start too well either, with Collin keeping us level........nothing spectacular, just reassuring. Eventually, we did get going (a bit) and put them under pressure (we are talking about a part-time team!) Apart from one or two half chances, which should have seen us take the lead, there was still too much sloppy play with overhit passes and poor delivery. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse, Ralph gets a booking (and a suspension???) and worsey worser, Taylor goes down with, what looked like a hamstring problem! In the rushed reorganisation at the back we get caught out and Wealdstone did what they hardly ever do....... bloody score! (Was Collin slow to come for it???) I'm afraid I was so down in the dumps at that point, even Walker's late equaliser failed to get me over excited. An awful game; a terrible result (in the context); a yellow card suspension; quite a bad looking injury; conceding right at the death........a perfect s**tstorm of a night........what a pity the rain didn't manage to get it called off! On a very minor side, I found both commentaries pretty awful but they probably reflected well on what was on offer. Let's move on ........to Saturday.......could someone arrange a monsoon and get it postponed?????

Last edited:
Back