• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone FC 1-1 Southend Utd.

So has just about every other team, why is it just us that can't cope?
As others have pointed out, we have a smaller squad than most in this division so we've not been able to rotate between games as much. Wealdstone for example made three changes to their team last night. We were also behind others in the transfer market because of the sale dragging on, and we have players like Moncur, Husin, Bonne who didn't have a proper pre-season and ideally would've been eased into the team gradually.

You've got Premier League players complaining about the number of matches these days and talks of going on strike etc, imagine what it's like for a National League player.

It's not unreasonable to aim for the same, and I'm sure everybody was aiming for the same at first, but I think it may be unreasonable to expect it.

You have to bear in mind the following:
  1. Incoming transfer plans wrecked and targets taken by other clubs fue to late takeover and embargo
  2. Pre-season disjointed again due to poor state of training facilities and disrupted friendly fixture programme
  3. A big part of last season's high finish was down to a siege mentality, which is incredibly difficult to muster a second time around, especially when it relies on a team spirit which needs to be rebuilt somewhat due to personnel changes
  4. We have lost the spine of the team in Kensdale, Miley and Cardwell for a variety of reasons, too late to be able to adequately replace them immediately, and the two departures (and the nature of one of them) have had an affect on dressing room morale and confidence
  5. The earlier departure of a player in Wes Fonguck who, whilst a very average player on the face of it, knew his role here perfectly and unlocked our most creative player in Bridge, has also not been addressed - Bridge'a creative output has suffered as a result.
I'm not saying everybody should be happy with how things are shaping up, but I don't think it's fair to say that these are excuses. They're reasons, imo. Reasons which, I would say, have turned us from a playoff team with the chance to push for the top 3 depending on summer recruitment (as we perhaps were at the end of last season, 'siege mentality' notwithstanding), into a mid table team with the chance to push for the playoffs depending on autumn/winter recruitment.

I think a lot of people got carried away by the takeover, which I completely get, but as a result, some haven't checked their expectations this season, and may find a season of consolidation to be torture.
I think that's a fair summary but I did want rid of both Fonguck and Powell and I disliked neither of them but they didn't so enough.

My expectations for this season were less optimistic given the mess the club was/is in sadly and we all know who is to blame for that!

That also makes it difficult for players that aren't fully fit to regain their fitness.

I think a lack of a reserve side is really hampering us. There’s no way for players returning from injury to get up to speed before returning to the side.

I mean King Kev was a senior player in a double-promotion winning side. I'm sure he can manage some non-league players.
Alvin Martin would like a word.

My concern is whether KM is capable / has enough experience of managing players of better quality and ability. Perhaps he could be struggling to man manage this group of players?
We need to be realistic. This season is most likely going to be one of adjustments.

Kev done brilliantly last season with such a depleted squad. Can’t believe people on here are showing such signs of impatience already. Yes we need to strengthen, and that will happen I’m sure. Don’t you think if Kev was able to sign all the best available players, he would do exactly that. Frustrating as it, we don’t appear to have the resources of the likes of FGR.

For our part we need to get behind the management and the players. We are great team, with a decent amount of loyal supporters. We will get there, but it’s going to take time. UTB

We need to be realistic. This season is most likely going to be one of adjustments.

Kev done brilliantly last season with such a depleted squad. Can’t believe people on here are showing such signs of impatience already. Yes we need to strengthen, and that will happen I’m sure. Don’t you think if Kev was able to sign all the best available players, he would do exactly that. Frustrating as it, we don’t appear to have the resources of the likes of FGR.

For our part we need to get behind the management and the players. We are great team, with a decent amount of loyal supporters. We will get there, but it’s going to take time. UTB
You have misunderstood my post.

I think a lack of a reserve side is really hampering us. There’s no way for players returning from injury to get up to speed before returning to the side.
A very good point. Rarely hear of any behind closed doors friendlies these days ..... did help players get valuable minutes before being thrust back into competitive matches.

As others have pointed out, we have a smaller squad than most in this division so we've not been able to rotate between games as much. Wealdstone for example made three changes to their team last night. We were also behind others in the transfer market because of the sale dragging on, and we have players like Moncur, Husin, Bonne who didn't have a proper pre-season and ideally would've been eased into the team gradually.

You've got Premier League players complaining about the number of matches these days and talks of going on strike etc, imagine what it's like for a National League player.
This is something I have never really understood at any level of football. I fully realise that there is far more that goes on in the course of a week other than actually playing matches but at the end of the day all any supporter asks is that a player is proud of the badge on their shirt and gives everything for at most 3 hours of work a week.

Probably half the population are working 8 hour days 5 days a week and just get on with it and don't get 2 months of rest in the early summer.

These players are supposed to be supreme athletes so I am clearly missing the point and will most likely get shot down on here.

As I said in my previous post, the results aren't the main reason people leave a ground frustrated it's seeing players and their team not giving it their all for 90+ minutes.

Last season we had a miniscule squad who were true heroes on the pitch and ran their socks off and I have only seen glimpses of that in the first 1/4 of this season (D & R at home).

This is something I have never really understood at any level of football. I fully realise that there is far more that goes on in the course of a week other than actually playing matches but at the end of the day all any supporter asks is that a player is proud of the badge on their shirt and gives everything for at most 3 hours of work a week.

Probably half the population are working 8 hour days 5 days a week and just get on with it and don't get 2 months of rest in the early summer.

These players are supposed to be supreme athletes so I am clearly missing the point and will most likely get shot down on here.

As I said in my previous post, the results aren't the main reason people leave a ground frustrated it's seeing players and their team not giving it their all for 90+ minutes.

Last season we had a miniscule squad who were true heroes on the pitch and ran their socks off and I have only seen glimpses of that in the first 1/4 of this season (D & R at home).
Supreme athletes they are not. I disagree with your view that the players don't give their all every game. Kevin wouldn't stand for anything less than 100%. Nobody in the team that I can see is not trying to do their best at all times.

Supreme athletes? What planet are you from? Just to check, you're talking about players in the 5th tier of English football, right?

And although they don't work the hours of our brilliant NHS workers (as an example), 'at most 3 hours of work a week' is way off. You do realise that training, conditioning, team meetings and long travel times clock up as well, right?

Don't forget, these non-supreme athletes don't get paid a huge amount and their careers end at around 34 / 35, if not before should they get a nasty injury.

No it's not is it - it's about being abit more grounded/balanced - we win a game it doesn't mean we're going to be champions and we lose a game doesn't mean we're going to be relegated. The lurch of comments on here to one direction or the other is staggering.
@Holy Joe That's the binary world we now inhabit: all or nothing, I'm right you're wrong, yes or no, with me or against me, black or white...

No if's or maybe's, no marginal gains, no 'there's always next season'...

Sadly 'we' demand success, demand to know every minutiae of every decision made, and demand it now!

Supreme athletes? What planet are you from? Just to check, you're talking about players in the 5th tier of English football, right?

And although they don't work the hours of our brilliant NHS workers (as an example), 'at most 3 hours of work a week' is way off. You do realise that training, conditioning, team meetings and long travel times clock up as well, right?

Don't forget, these non-supreme athletes don't get paid a huge amount and their careers end at around 34 / 35, if not before should they get a nasty injury.
I am from earth and you clearly didn't understand my point.

I am glad you see every player in every league giving 100% every match, week in week out.

Knew I would get shot down for having an opinion 😂

Last edited:
I am from earth and you clearly didn't understand my point.

I am glad you see every player in every league giving 100% every match, week in week out.

Knew I would get shot down 😂
Talking of misunderstanding posts, where did I say I see every player in every league giving 100%? Having said that, where did I even say I watch every player in every league?

Back