• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Luton at Oxford: (2,264)

Wycombe at Cambridge: (701)

Carlisle at Tranmere: (591)

Southend at Shrewsbury: (416)

Burton at Cheltenham: (286)

Newport at Wimbledon: (276)

Hartlepool at Portsmouth: (183)

Exeter at Bury: (180)

Stevenage at Mansfield: (160)

Dag & Red at York: (134)

Morecambe at Northampton: (128)

Accrington at Plymouth: (56)

I wonder if that's more than Luton were typically taking to Oxford in the First Division back in the 1980s? Given how depressed football was at that time, it's possible...

Plymouth - that's a big stand to have only 56 people in it. I suspect there were plenty of pies still left the end of the game.

All credit to any fan that makes it all the way there though. :thumbsup:

I wonder if that's more than Luton were typically taking to Oxford in the First Division back in the 1980s? Given how depressed football was at that time, it's possible...

Im not sure the old away end at Oxford even held 2,200

Just had a look at what Oxford and Luton's average Div 1 (prem) crowds were in 1985/6
Luton 11,062
Oxford 11,009

They were not the worst supported Div 1 team, that was Birmingham with 10,090

The overall Division averages in 1985/6 were:-
Division One 19,563
Division Two 7,688
Division Three 4,512
Division Four 2,551

Southend had an average crowd in 1985/6 of 2,785 which was up 33% on the previous season. Our highest home crowd was 8,120 v Colchester on a Tuesday night! (we lost 4-2). Our lowest crowd 1,006 v Halifax (our lowest ever league crowd) also on a Tuesday night & we actually won with goals from Frank Lampard & Danny O'Shea

On the flipside you would have thought Burton would take more than 286 for an 85-mile jaunt down the M5 to Cheltenham, considering their league position. Poor.

Game's changed a bit hasn't it?

The Eighties were days of poor entertainment, remember just the 2 points for a win so lots of teams played for a 0-0 by passing back to the keeper. Just attending some games involved risking your life or permanent disfigurement, by some c*** with a twin bladed Stanley knife.

On the flipside you would have thought Burton would take more than 286 for an 85-mile jaunt down the M5 to Cheltenham, considering their league position. Poor.

Were Derby playing at home? Quite a few people attend Burton games when Derby are playing away.

They only brought about 60 to Roots Hall, admittedly on a Friday night. They have a small fanbase and I imagine a lot of people who support them also support Derby who were at home on Saturday.

I suppose the small size of the club makes their good form even more of an achievement.

They only brought about 60 to Roots Hall, admittedly on a Friday night. They have a small fanbase and I imagine a lot of people who support them also support Derby who were at home on Saturday.
Their small fanbase is completely understandable given the size of the place. I don't think its much bigger than Rayleigh. The same goes for Acc. Stanley, although I don't understand understand Morecambe which is conjoined with Lancaster and no other team for miles.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back