• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There's a buzz about the place

Ron Manager

It feels so good to be a Southend United fan right now, for the first time in absolutely ages Roots Hall and the pubs around the ground are buzzing with excitement. Whisper it, but, we could actually have some success at the end of the season to celebrate. OK, it's a long way to go but we have a team that's full of confidence and scoring goals for fun and strength in depth for when we have players out with injuries and suspensions.

Crowds are up and a strong performance on Friday in front of the Sky cameras could bring even more down to Roots Hall - this town CAN get behind the team (Cardiff last year proved that) and hopefully we are beginning to see the good times back at Southend!

Dont it make you just a little bit scared? Southend scoring for fun? Doesn't sound like the team I love. Mind you, things must be looking up if even me is going down the ticket office thursday to pick up several tickets in advance. I haven't done that in...er, ever!! Even I think late arrivals are going to struggle to get in on friday. One feels a full house on the cards for this cup tie and £75,000 in the kitty as well only sweetens proceedings.

yep cant agree more i went yesterday and the atmosphere was great with all ends singing. At the end there was a feel good factor which i have not seen for years at Roots Hall Never seen so many happy faces leaving the ground...

Home crowds are well over 5000 now with oxford only having about 200 fans which is very poor considering they class themselves as a bigger club than us, bearing in mind they havnt got far to travel. When Southend were in the same league position as Oxford over the last few years we still took 500 to 1000 away fans with us wherever we went!!!

Anyway happy days long may it last  

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

One team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC !!
smile.gif

smile.gif

Totally agree with you Ron,

The weekend just cannot come fast enough for me at the moment. The Blues are just so good to watch I really feel that we are going to win everygame we play and that Fredy is certain to score.

Crowds seem to be coming back and Friday should if nothing else make the club a lot of money and also be a good yardstick for us to gage how good a side we really are..

Well done Tilly

Even a few of the regulars in my local here in Jávea are bitten by the SUFC bug! They appear to be turning out in the numbers next Friday evening to watch the "Mighty Shrimpers" in action for themselves ... I just hope they don't let us down!

WS

wink.gif

Couldn't agree more.  The Hall is buzzing, and beginning to become a bit of a fortress for us!  To get over a gate of over 5000 without the game being a Family Bonanza Day shows that SUFC are doing something right.  I don't want to jinx it, but we're looking good for AT LEAST a play-off place.  The thing which pleased me yesterday was our character.  The team went in at half-time with their heads hanging a bit, knowing they didn't play as well as they should have done against an opposition near the bottom of the league, and last season we would have buckled.  But to come out and produce a performance and rout like that in the 2nd half shows supreme character and confidence.  The ultimate test of our chances in the league will be Yeovil.  Bring 'em on!

KTF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The_Showstoppa15 @ Nov. 07 2004,12:53)]Couldn't agree more.  The Hall is buzzing, and beginning to become a bit of a fortress for us!  To get over a gate of over 5000 without the game being a Family Bonanza Day shows that SUFC are doing something right.  I don't want to jinx it, but we're looking good for AT LEAST a play-off place.  The thing which pleased me yesterday was our character.  The team went in at half-time with their heads hanging a bit, knowing they didn't play as well as they should have done against an opposition near the bottom of the league, and last season we would have buckled.  But to come out and produce a performance and rout like that in the 2nd half shows supreme character and confidence.  The ultimate test of our chances in the league will be Yeovil.  Bring 'em on!

KTF
even better crowd considering it was our 3rd home game in 7 days

Happy days and I cant stop smiling for one !!

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

No fear !!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Just thinking about Southend makes me chuckle and put a huge smile on my face. To be honest, i think we bloomin' well deserve some success down at this club as i dont think i've ever seen a successful season whilst supporting us. Out of the 5608 crowd, 407 were Oxford and it just goes to show you dont need sh*tty family days, you just need success ... Success will see the Hall become fuller and fuller every week and i can see at least 8,000 being at the Hall on Friday night. A win there and a positive result at Yeovil, and i reckon we could hit the 6000 mark against Grimsby, which is another Friday nighter. Attendances are gunna rise every week, but they seem to be rising but a few hundred a game as the word is spreadin. The attractive football is the key factor, and the fact we're just a solitary point anyway from auto' promotion also helps!!
biggrin.gif

P.s Where was our pig bag song yesterday!?

laugh.gif

Kev

certainly is a pleasure to be down at roots at the moment. as for play offs/ promotion we will have to see how our away form is in the next few weeks. got some tough games coming up against yeoville and orient, if were still in the top seven after those, then yes we are genuine contenders

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Nov. 07 2004,14:34)]certainly is a pleasure to be down at roots at the moment. as for play offs/ promotion we will have to see how our away form is in the next few weeks. got some tough games coming up against yeoville and orient, if were still in the top seven after those, then yes we are genuine contenders
I've not been this excited about the team for ages. Who would have thought Tilson would be able to do so well where so many others before have failed. (I guess the answer to that is RM and the board, something they never seem to get the credit for!)

Constantine scored a lot but for me, he was never genuinely exciting. Eastwood, well, I was considering travelling 11 hours in a day on the train just to go and see him and you can't pay much of a bigger compliment than that. Damn trains. Anything under 8 and I would have been back.

If he has a mint game on Friday, man, his stock value's gonna rise. Perhaps he can break Trundle's monopoly of being a league 2 striker almost everyone seems to know. And he's not fat.

Finally, we don't always have to be looking enviously at other club's success stories.

For me, the big test will be Yeovil. They're on a tasty bit of form and I thought they were unlucky not to go up last year. We'll see how far we've come. Point or better and you know we should be up there come the end of the season.

We have a very hard run between now and the new year with games against the likes of yeovil, orient, grimsby, chester, wycombe and mansfield, if we are still there or there abouts when the boys run out on new years day at home to rushden then things will look very rosy indeed!!.

Next fridays encounter looks to be a superb game indeed with both sides banging in goals left right and centre at the moment!. Looks like the best defence on the night will get the passage through to round 2!!.

Should be a good crowd too, friday night football seems to be very popular indeed down here so a gate of 8000+ is not unrealistic. So lets make plenty of noise, remember we are being beamed across the globe!!.

Times are very good indeed, long may it continue.

smile.gif
smile.gif

T'is exciting times indeed. Last season it took us until the first week of Feb to get our 27th point! here we are just into November and after a wretched start too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester Shrimper @ Nov. 07 2004,21:22)]Last season it took us until the first week of Feb to get our 27th point!
F**k me, that's the stat of the day!! That really does put this season's start into perspective.

Let's hope we can keep it going.

biggrin.gif

Matt

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying.

I really noticed the buzz around the hall on saturday.

And as said before my god don't you think we deserve it !

I think its true to say that you have to have been to the bottom to appreciate things going well.

Took time out on Saturday to cast my mind back over the last few years to try and remember my lowest point...... could not really pick my lowest as they all seemed to be held in one big bad memory !!

There's been a buzz at the Hall for a couple of games now - there was even an air of expectancy on Tuesday - and rightly so too!

The atmosphere at the hall has also markedly improved as well (and I don't think it's got anything to do with the drums...!)

I hope it never ends, that the good times keep on rollin'. You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone, and when you start to get some of it back it feels even better!

cool.gif

I couldn't make it Saturday - sounds like the atmosphere was pretty good? Strangely enough, I didn't think it was all that on Tuesday in the LDV. Normally excellent because all the 'die hards' are sitting together.

As for Friday, I'm trying not to get too carried away and just hope we put on a decent display. We should get a good crowd but that doesn't always make for a great atmosphere. I think a lot of the 'occassionals' feel a bit self conscious about getting involved. Hopefully this will be negated by the fact that most people will have had a few beers beforehand, which always helps.

Incidentally, has anyone heard whether the pubs around the ground are going to be open as usual?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Nov. 08 2004,14:05)]Incidentally, has anyone heard whether the pubs around the ground are going to be open as usual?
Probably be the usual, 'are you local?' routine at most pubs with restricted numbers and plastic glasses.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back