• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The quality of league 2

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
We played gillingham pre season and they weren't great but we gave away two terrible goals. They are top of the league.

In the absence of a blues match at the weekend I watched the col u game. It was awful. Devoid of any quality. I'd say both teams would struggle at this level.

We certainly play far better football.

It highlights how many teams get a free ride in league 2 with just 2 relegation places. They are safe to just be woeful in the knowledge that relegation is highly unlikely.

Watched Accrington vs Col Ewe in place of our postponed game at the weekend. Only one game, but my impression was that the standard was pretty poor. Players all looked strong, but the quality was shocking at times. Also not much played on the ground, save for the Accie goal, which was very good. A lot of hoof, hit and hope. Accies also missed some very good chances. My summing up was quick, strong, but technically poor.

We played gillingham pre season and they weren't great but we gave away two terrible goals. They are top of the league.

In the absence of a blues match at the weekend I watched the col u game. It was awful. Devoid of any quality. I'd say both teams would struggle at this level.

We certainly play far better football.

It highlights how many teams get a free ride in league 2 with just 2 relegation places. They are safe to just be woeful in the knowledge that relegation is highly unlikely.

We tried that 4 years ago......Dosen't always work out

I agree there’s currently an imbalance. But that doesn’t mean in 3 years’ time there will still be an imbalance.

For the first time in a while the two relegated clubs from L2 were both relatively new EFL sides (I think they had about 10 years’ history in the EFL between them).

If in the next 3 years Oldham, ourselves and York with our 5000+ crowds all get promoted and the likes of Accrington and Harrogate with their sub 3000 crowds get relegated will there still be such a clamour for 3 up, 3 down?

I agree there’s currently an imbalance. But that doesn’t mean in 3 years’ time there will still be an imbalance.

For the first time in a while the two relegated clubs from L2 were both relatively new EFL sides (I think they had about 10 years’ history in the EFL between them).

If in the next 3 years Oldham, ourselves and York with our 5000+ crowds all get promoted and the likes of Accrington and Harrogate with their sub 3000 crowds get relegated will there still be such a clamour for 3 up, 3 down?

Probably not but it's insulting to have 4 up and 2 down in league 2.

Even if we are back in the EFL, I'd still say it's the right way to go.

Probably not but it's insulting to have 4 up and 2 down in league 2.

Even if we are back in the EFL, I'd still say it's the right way to go.
I think 4 up should probably go before 3 down.

Ideally there should really be a playoff match between third bottom of L2 and third top of NL but that would mean teams finishing 7th wouldn’t have anything to play for and no extra revenue.

I still believe there should be 2 automatic promotion spots to league 2 , thus allowing the teams that finished 3456 to playoff the winner of that to playoff for a third promotion spot against the loser off said playoff from the teams finishing 22,21,20,19th from league 2 ,

Last edited:
Teams facing relegation and having to face playoffs was binned years ago and rightly so. Keeping potential relegated and in some cases financially struggling teams hanging around for further 2 weeks of the summer was nonsense. So that's not going to happen.

We only want 3 up because we have failed so far in the NL. No Shrimpers wanted that during our last season in L2. At the moment you have to be financially secure and well backed to win the NL. This makes it far more likely that a team will do reasonably well in their first few seasons.

That is good for the EFL and fans of the promoted teams, especially the more traditional league clubs that got in financial trouble....So why would they change it for the ex league clubs that can't quite get their act together?

Back