• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Bit of Fun The Plaque

The.plaque

Midfield
In the early hours of Saturday morning, before our first home game, the plaque was screwed to a poster on the derelict house next to the club shop.
The poster a reminder of Mr. Martin’s failed dream for himself, which nearly brought about the end for the club we love.
Thanks to everyone who received it as the tongue in cheek gesture it was.

Good times from here on in.
💙

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 206
Yes - Well done
i think it needs to stay there up on the wall for all to see.

They say never extinguish or gloss over history, as if you do, you will never learn the past mistakes.

So there that plague needs to remain as a reminder of our past history that took the club to its lowest ebb.

The derelict house used to be the club shop, before it moved down to the traffic lights. My parents took me there to buy my first ever Southend top in 1977. The red white and blue one from Dave Smith's reign.
I went to the one by the traffic lights on a school trip to the club in, I think 1975 so this must have been the club shop before or after then.

Yes, it was a couple of shops up from the corner. Bill ( forgot his surname! ) & his wife used to run it.
Bill Clowes and his wife worked in the Pools Office on behalf of Southend United Development and were at that time around 1975 looking for agents at Marconi Ltd., Yardleys of Basildon, Standard Telephones & Ilford Films Ltd. As you said Tony they worked in the shop close to the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill opposite Roots Hall. I also worked with them in that shop on match days on behalf of the Supporters Club in the late 70's and early 80's.

Bill Clowes and his wife worked in the Pools Office on behalf of Southend United Development and were at that time around 1975 looking for agents at Marconi Ltd., Yardleys of Basildon, Standard Telephones & Ilford Films Ltd. As you said Tony they worked in the shop close to the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill opposite Roots Hall. I also worked with them in that shop on match days on behalf of the Supporters Club in the late 70's and early 80's.
The old days of when we had a supporters club In Ambleside drive. The shop moved several times it was once the other side of The Red lion, they sold Rosetts and a rattle so my grandfather told me

Back