• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The football factory

A colleague lent me a moody copy of this and I watched it last night.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

I realise it wasn't a final cut but still think the film was poor.

1. The whole sub plot involving the two old men was awful and should be cut. I actually wanted both of them to die. The one that survived was an awful actor.

2. The visions and dreams experienced by the main character seemed tacked on and had little relevance to his actions to the outcome of the film.

3. Most of the violence in the film was irresponsibly played for comic effect. A few people took a beating but that was it. The only person to get seriously injured did so as a consequence of street crime, not football violence.

4. None of the main characters looked particularly threatening.

5. Two of the big scenes in the film, one at the start and one right at the end were stolen from Goodfellas and Carlitos way respectively.

I went away that the whole film was aimed at young men who read FHM and thought Lock, stock and two smoking barrelswas a good film. It didn't offer any insight into the appeal of football violence for those involved and the only reason or justification offered was that most of them worked all week and wanted a bit of excitement at the weekend.

Some of the music was quite good though, Orbital, Corperation of one etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 02 2004,15:32)]A colleague lent me a moody copy of this and I watched it last night.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

I realise it wasn't a final cut but still think the film was poor.

1. The whole sub plot involving the two old men was awful and should be cut. I actually wanted both of them to die. The one that survived was an awful actor.

2. The visions and dreams experienced by the main character seemed tacked on and had little relevance to his actions to the outcome of the film.

3. Most of the violence in the film was irresponsibly played for comic effect. A few people took a beating but that was it. The only person to get seriously injured did so as a consequence of street crime, not football violence.

4. None of the main characters looked particularly threatening.

5. Two of the big scenes in the film, one at the start and one right at the end were stolen from Goodfellas and Carlitos way respectively.

I went away that the whole film was aimed at young men who read FHM and thought Lock, stock and two smoking barrelswas a good film. It didn't offer any insight into the appeal of football violence for those involved and the only reason or justification offered was that most of them worked all week and wanted a bit of excitement at the weekend.

Some of the music was quite good though, Orbital, Corperation of one etc.
re point - 4.

Billy Bright was played by Frank Harper who was actually a Millwall hooly before he broke into acting.

You've also got to lower your expectations!! Was hardly going to be Gone With The Wind was it!?
tounge.gif

I thought it was quite a good film but not to be taken too seriously. Most football fights are spontanias regardless of what you might read on certain web sites but can be increditibly violent. It isn't uncommon for pubs to be hit and spur of the moment flair-ups at service stations have been happening for years. I can honestly say that I have been caught out several times with that classic line 'Have you got the time mate' while on my travels up north and have done a wonderful impression of the roadrunner through the middle of Liverpool town centre with 'Stanley' and friends in hot pursuit. As for the mass ruck at the end of the film, well I haven't ever been invovled in anything like that and following Southend im never likely to. Thats for the very committed and very rare in this day and age. Not the worst film I have ever seen and certainly better than most football violence related films but as my maths teacher used to say 'room for improvement'

Seb,

your reaction in the Spread when you saw Col U had got through to play us in the LDV reminded me of the bit where Billy Bright was in the pub and saw Chelsea had been paired with Millwall.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 04 2004,09:27)]Seb,

your reaction in the Spread when you saw Col U had got through to play us in the LDV reminded me of the bit where Billy Bright was in the pub and saw Chelsea had been paired with Millwall.  
biggrin.gif
I dont know what you mean.
wink.gif

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back