• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The c*l ewe boys - Should we sign them?

Should we sign Matt Heath and John White permanently?

• Sign Heath

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Sign White

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Sign both

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • Sign neither

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Sign anyone we can get

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Good players but not worth the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, they're c*l ewe rejects

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐🦐
Staff member
I know we haven't seen much of them yet but based on Saturdays performance and some of the pre-season games if you went, which of the 2 would you sign or would you sign both?
Personally I think Matt Heath is a good centre back at this level and considering he hadn't played with Adam Barrett competitively before Saturday they worked well together. He was good in the air, quick and looked calm while also showing some good long range passing skills but he did get booked for a silly challenge and as expected he did go out of position a few times.
John White I'm not so sure about, I can't see too much difference between him and Herd, they both get beaten maybe more than they should and the back and push up a bit too far and get caught out. White's other problems were that he preferred to jockey his man for a while before tackling, like Che Wilson, and also drifted central leaving a man spare at the back post, who was often picked up by Moussa. Personally I would rather play Herd to give him some experience and use his throw-ins while they aren't too different but I know other people thought White played quite well so will have different opinions. I think he would be worth signing cheaply as back up or to rotate with Johnny Herd but not an answer to the left back problem if Tilly wants someone to come in and play the whole season while Herd gets experience from the bench with the odd game here and there.

not too sure by the "good players but not worth the money" option, i doubt they will command much of a fee, especially if we just extend the loan

Isnt it all a bit early to have this thread? lets see them play competitive football half a dozen times at least

Seeing as we have no money, the very thought of signing anyone is slightly ludicrous.

Isnt it all a bit early to have this thread? lets see them play competitive football half a dozen times at least

Seeing as we have no money, the very thought of signing anyone is slightly ludicrous.

Absolutely right, the lads have five more games to play for us before their loan expires, and even then we already have the option to extend the loan if we want to.

It is crazy to be making any sort of judgement on their long-term future with us after just one game. Let's give them a few more games before sealing their fate, eh?

What money are we talking about in that option? Personally i thought they both looked good on Saturday. If asked to choose i'd take Heath but i'd prefer both if only to boost numbers.

They've only played one competitive game so it's a bit early to decide, but judging by the Huddersfield game, I think we should sign Heath as a 3rd choice CB, but only get White if we can't find a proper LB who's good enough. As White's best position is RB, I don't think he would be a good long-term solution at LB and it would just slow down Herd's development.

One swallow does not make a summer - Will reserve judgetment until the month is up personally. Early signs thought both looked adequate but cant see a lot of point signing Heath if M'Voto is any good.

Purely on Saturday's game, I'd keep Heath for a longer period and send White packing, but that's on one single game.

I don't, and never have understood the White signing considering he's not a natural left back. It's essentially like someone coming to us and signing Francis as their first choice centre back. I thought he was poor defensively on Saturday and he was lucky that he was able to dig himself out of a hole a couple of times. The fact he added nothing going forwards didn't help his performance. Heath on the other hand had a decent game and looked much the better defender than Barrett.

Agree Andy. Dont like the idea of our left side consisting of 2 right footed players. Get White in as a squad player and get rid of Sankofa. Heath looked good, possibly Barretts long term centre back partner.
Would personally prefer Heath and Mvoto in the middle. Two goals conceded on saturday both came from headers we lost. Mvoto might well have made the difference there.

Agree Andy. Dont like the idea of our left side consisting of 2 right footed players. Get White in as a squad player and get rid of Sankofa. Heath looked good, possibly Barretts long term centre back partner.
Would personally prefer Heath and Mvoto in the middle. Two goals conceded on saturday both came from headers we lost. Mvoto might well have made the difference there.

Indeed. As somebody posted on here, the goals we conceded were very much from the Barrett/Clarke partnership and not the Dervite/Clarke partnership.

Can someone add a "Get both of them on loan for a little longer and give them a chance" option please, wouldnt buy them straight away, but would like to see their loans get extended for a bit longer, to give them a chance to shine at this club.

Difficult to tell on one game but the fact they've been given permission to play in the cup means there may well be a deal in place for them to stay.

Back