• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Big Clean Up! Help needed Friday 9th August

Loved being involved last year, but like many others, working Friday. As mentioned above, would like to know why the consortium don't like the idea. I think the fans do.

When I drove up Shakey this morning at 7am I did have a look to my left and noticed that a bit of work needing doing to tidy up and hadn't seen this sort of thing organised, until now! Well done to all those who can help!

@The General I can confirm the approach to the west Stand entrance has been de-weeded (well 'Strimmed') and looks pretty much ready to go!!!

Unfortunately I'm committed at work this Friday so can't make it. Perhaps next year...

Do we know if the west stand toilets have been improved? It literally had no ceiling and leaked dangerously. I hope it hasn't just been 'patched up'.

Maybe they just want to become a professional outfit who doesn't rely on fans to spruce up the place just to ensure it's just about ready for the season. I always felt Ron was a bit cheeky relying on fans' goodwill in that fashion. But yeah you make a point about the community aspect, hopefully they'll improve that in other areas (fan zones, events etc) as it's great for fans to feel part of what's going on.
I think there was an element of optics playing a role in the reluctance, too. The community clean-up last season can, if twisted a certain way, give the view of a club at its absolute lowest ebb and needing supporters to volunteer just to be able to host a home fixture. There is a desire to move away from the image of desperation and to leave the negative connotations in the past, which I get.

There is also a real desire to really build bridges with, and to embed the club in, the community, though, and we did suggest that that is the light in which a similar community clean-up effort would and should be seen.

So yes, as @OldBlueLady says, pleased that they have had a change of heart on that.

I think there was an element of optics playing a role in the reluctance, too. The community clean-up last season can, if twisted a certain way, give the view of a club at its absolute lowest ebb and needing supporters to volunteer just to be able to host a home fixture. There is a desire to move away from the image of desperation and to leave the negative connotations in the past, which I get.

There is also a real desire to really build bridges with, and to embed the club in, the community, though, and we did suggest that that is the light in which a similar community clean-up effort would and should be seen.

So yes, as @OldBlueLady says, pleased that they have had a change of heart on that.
Can understand COSU feeling it was their responsibility to put things right and be seen approaching everything in a 'professional' way but also I don't think the benefits of last season fans engagement in getting the Hall ready was lost on them, I suppose for them it's about getting the balance right. Not sure if my lad Liam and his chariot will be in attendance as Friday is normally one of his Day Centre days, I know where his heart will be though!

Like many I'm at work but would fully agree that the consortium should not consider this in a negative way. I think many of us would like to get back involved in the club in some way or other & even if it's helping with a clean up I'd gladly help if possible.

Got my logistics all sorted out, so I’ll be there in the car park 9:30am on Friday.

🧹🗑️🖌️

Will it be ok to park the car there? I know there’s space and no match, but I don’t know if the space is needed / available, if there’s a charge or anything. Last time I was at Roots Hall on a non-match day was over 30 years ago!

Got my logistics all sorted out, so I’ll be there in the car park 9:30am on Friday.

🧹🗑️🖌️

Will it be ok to park the car there? I know there’s space and no match, but I don’t know if the space is needed / available, if there’s a charge or anything. Last time I was at Roots Hall on a non-match day was over 30 years ago!
Yes mate.

Back