• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Barrels Hereford

barton west

Striker
A number of people have asked me if the Barrels is still going strong, knowing through the Zone that I live in Hereford.
Yes it is, and an amazing evening there tonight. Place was packed, with lots of blokes standing around in sharp pin stripe suits, and the ladies dressed up to the nines. The Hereford Big Band was blasting away in the courtyard. Was this a big funeral?
No, the founder of the Wye Valley Brewery, Peter Amor, and the owner of its flagship pub, was awarded the freedom of the city today (free parking anywhere in the city). The Lib Dem mayor was there, having just climbed out of his robes and chains, and I had a chat with him. I told him about Kev and his freedom of the city, and how rare an event it was. He agreed, rare in Hereford too.
Both the mayor and Peter Amor come from ILFORD, and a cousin who was there lives in Rayleigh. The two stars of the evening went to Ilford County Grammar, a school I played cricket against (for Westcliff).
Peter is now largely retired and I also talked to the managing director since 2002, Vernon Amor. I asked him at my brother’s request why you can’t buy Butty Bach in Southend. Alas they sell their beers no further than 60 miles from Hereford.
I learned there tonight that Peter Amor has raised over £750,000 for charity.
Splendid people and a great pub. There is nowhere remotely like it in Southend.
Let’s hope Hereford FC are promoted soon and Southend fans can have the pleasure of visiting this part of the world again.
PS. Three quarters of the world’s cider is made in Herefordshire and 90% of the country’s hops are grown here.

I'm sure it's a wonderful pub but I don't think either of your claims would pass even the BBC's cursory fact check.
Point taken but I think you overlook the reach of Bulmers. They have the world’s largest cider factory and their products are found all over the world.
Vernon Amor told me that the right hops for ale production are in short supply. Hop growing in Kent has declined dramatically and whilst hops grown in Germany and the Czech Republic make excellent beers, they are not suitable for ale.

Point taken but I think you overlook the reach of Bulmers. They have the world’s largest cider factory and their products are found all over the world.
Vernon Amor told me that the right hops for ale production are in short supply. Hop growing in Kent has declined dramatically and whilst hops grown in Germany and the Czech Republic make excellent beers, they are not suitable for ale.
I do not overlook the reach of Heineken owned Bulmers and your claim of the world's largest Cider factory is actually correct, unlike your previous two which are wildly inaccurate. Cheers.

Back