• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Testimonial year for Kev

What exactly is a testimonial year?

@JB Shrimper I don't know if it still happens but County Cricketers used to have Testimonial Years. Various events throughout the whole year from 'Sportsman's Dinners', Prize Drawers, Gala Nights, etc., etc., all in aid of the person who's 'Year' it was.

I guess in a packed County Championship season it would be much harder to have a Testimonial Match / Friendly (half a day at best) to mark the occasion against just 90 minutes of football.

Without question deserved and obviously somewhat overdue, although that's down to someone else's watch, not COSU.
I also see this as another endorsement of COSU's commitment to Kev.
I don't know if the agreement of a testimonial year was part of the terms of Kev's new contract but it's announcement at this juncture could be seen as a little reminder to some that COSU have every intention from their perspective that he is the right man for the job and expect him to be around to at least the end of his contract. Also having listened to JR comments today in the second part of the Shrimperscast interview in which he gives his expectations in respect of on the field success during the targeted 5 year regeneration of the Club, it could be argued that unless Kev massively drops the ball he is potentially one of the most secure managers in the game at this time.

He has the safest job in English football.

@JB Shrimper I don't know if it still happens but County Cricketers used to have Testimonial Years. Various events throughout the whole year from 'Sportsman's Dinners', Prize Drawers, Gala Nights, etc., etc., all in aid of the person who's 'Year' it was.

I guess in a packed County Championship season it would be much harder to have a Testimonial Match / Friendly (half a day at best) to mark the occasion against just 90 minutes of football.
The important point being, all money raised is considered a gift and is therefore tax free.

Yep, still happens. I think Nick Browne has been given one for Essex next year. Usually as you describe a mix of events - some sporting, some social.

Back in the 60s players used to get a benefit game after 5 years service and a testimonial after 10. Probably all contractual. If someone had to retire through injury after a long service they would get a testimonial.

Alan Moody and Ron Pountney both had testimonial years with a number of events. They had a committee (mainly of supporters) that organised it all for them.

Kev was of course promised a testimonial when he packed up playing. Let’s hope this one happens.

Back in the 60s players used to get a benefit game after 5 years service and a testimonial after 10. Probably all contractual. If someone had to retire through injury after a long service they would get a testimonial.

Alan Moody and Ron Pountney both had testimonial years with a number of events. They had a committee (mainly of supporters) that organised it all for them.

Kev was of course promised a testimonial when he packed up playing. Let’s hope this one happens.
Steve Tilson had one too

Back