• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
We're currently having a lot of work done on our house. One of the jobs was to remove all the old telephone sockets and wiring, and install a new telephone socket in the lounge.

The guy who did it has done a really good job. We now only have one cable from the junction box inside the house. This feeds to where the lounge will be (the entire downstairs is currently a building site). However, now the electrician has done his first fix we have found that the telephone cable is right next to the electric cables. For that reason the electrician has run a new telephone cable following a different route which he will connect up when he completes his job.

So, we now have a cable attached to a socket (that is not actually attached to the wall yet) and a new cable that is not connected to either the junction box or a socket yet.

I have also just received a quote for a new alarm system. This includes an option to link it to the police. However, the quote states that the component that notifies the police will include a SIM card, but also needs a telephone line nearby as a back up. The question I therefore have is can you run two cables from the same junction box without impacting the speed of the internet connection? (Obviously the phone socket used for the alarm will need a micro-filter.)

If that is OK then it will be easy to use the cable that the telephone guy installed first, and re-route that to the downstairs cupboard where the alarm will be, and use the cable the electrician added for the internet and phone. If not, then I need to get the electrician to run a cable from the main socket in the lounge to the downstairs cupboard.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

My point is will a 2nd cable from the junction box impact the data on the first cable?

Right, see if I've got this - two phone lines, one purely for data, the other for a phone that will be used very rarely if at all?

Doubt it mate, my phone & broadband are on the same line in.

Right, see if I've got this - two phone lines, one purely for data, the other for a phone that will be used very rarely if at all?

Doubt it mate, my phone & broadband are on the same line in.

No! Two cables on the same line. One cable will be used for a phone and a router. The other will be used for the alarm to make an automatic call. The question is whether you can run both cables from the same junction box, or whether you need to daisy chain the 2nd (alarm socket) from the first (phone and data) socket.

I can't see why not - if you're connecting the lines in parrallel then you'll get no voltage drop, and hence you'll be ok. If you connect them in series (daisy chain), you will.

I think, though best get the advice of a telecoms guru!

I can't see why not - if you're connecting the lines in parrallel then you'll get no voltage drop, and hence you'll be ok. If you connect them in series (daisy chain), you will.

I think, though best get the advice of a telecoms guru!

I was hoping there'd be one on here! I don't want to ask the guy that installed the original cable because:

a) he doesn't stop talking and I won't get rid of him.
b) he'll want to come and fit the 2nd cable.
c) if he does that he'll notice that we're not even using the cable he fitted a few weeks ago!

I don't know anyone else!

So it turns out, having spoken to the alarm engineer, he can do the same by using a component that uses only a SIM card over GSM. We therefore don't need a landline routed.

That makes life a lot easier.

Back