• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Superstitions

Fred

First XI⭐
With the number of games diminishing and the 'P' word looming large, does anyone have any superstitions.

I for one will only wear blue for every game.

I will not look at other teams' websites until after we have played them home and away.

Before I leave the house, I will always get my 2 boys to shout 'Up the Blues'

I wonder if I am the only sad case??

We always stop at the Tescos for some food and I stick to the same food.....If we lose I change.

With my old bird used to make sure I got my oats before a game to secure all 3 points.

My mates Dan's son Luca comes and whenever he has a pony at the hall we seem to win....

I always go through the same turnstile, and have done for years. This, of course, is a total load of cr@p, becuase we have lost countless games in that time.

Actually, I think, as an act of bravado, I will go through a completely different turnstile next week.

My other superstition is to NEVER sleep with the same Bluebelle the night before a game.

Every time I have bought a programme this season, we lost Sorry scrivs.
sad.gif

Hence my programe collection this year is very thin, but i have got all the All At Seas  
biggrin.gif

Erm I have a superstition. it's a little odd, and quite long to explain, and you're all gonna think i'm barmy...

firstly the background. A friend and I have this sort of arrangement where for every birthday and christmas we try to exchange the bizarrest gifts we can find, which are often religious in theme, because there's so much scope for bizzarity. 2 years ago she bought me a nodding Jesus (a bit like the dogs you get in cars, but..... well.... Jesus). I'm not religious and I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

He sits proudly on my desk at work, and every Friday i consume a small pack of shrimp sweets and I save the last one... the last one then gets sacrificed (well... donated) to Jesus (his hands are clasped in prayer so it fits nicely). I ask him if the blues will win and he invariably nods...

Imagine my horror when after returning from my trip to Sweden last week, I walked into work and found that the shrimp had been dislodged... the coincidence being we lost to MKDons that weekend.

A colleague helped with shrimp duty last week as I was travelling down for the game... luckily he fulfilled the task.

The very first time I tried this was when we beat the Swans 3-2 with 8 men.... there was definitley someone looking after us on that day!!

right.... back to work....

Since my visit at Xmas and New Year, when we put an end to our bad run, I have always worn this season's home shirt when listening to a game and I refuse to wash it, no matter how much it smells, until the fat lady sings the end note to this season.

I suppose my only mild superstition is that I never predict the score before a game (*). There's no empirical evidence to suggest that if I were to predict the score, then we'd lose... but I'm not going to start taking the risk now!

tounge.gif

Matt

(*That said, I allow myself to comment on my general impression of how the game might turn out before the game - e.g. as Steveh and I sagely predicted before our October 2004 encounter with Swansea City:

"Hmmm... reckon this one's got 0-0 written all over it...")

oops.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fred @ Mar. 31 2006,12:28)]With the number of games diminishing and the 'P' word looming large, does anyone have any superstitions.  

I for one will only wear blue for every game.  

I will not look at other teams' websites until after we have played them home and away.  

Before I leave the house, I will always get my 2 boys to shout 'Up the Blues'

I wonder if I am the only sad case??
Im the total oppisite to that. I never wear the shirt to a game or even touch anything in my house to do with SUFC before a game. Weird I know....

Put my home shirt on first then put the red away shirt on top, every time i have worn the white one we have lost, i bought before the swansea game we lost 2-1 so keep with the same combination

I'm not in the least superstitious, but by some strange coincidence every match day I find that the next socks to surface in my sock drawer are my "football - not life and death, but nearly" socks, and the next available pair of boxers is the one with footballs all over it. My old white SUFC T-shirt goes on next, followed by my MartinDawn home shirt (and jeans of course, before anyone gets smart). This has absolutely no effect on the result of the game, and is as I have said pure coincidence.

wink.gif

I sit in South Upper Blue but my superstition is that I always go up the 1st flight of stairs that lead to the seating event though I sit right at the far end!!

My late shift at work on a Saturday always seems to coincide with an away game, I have yet to work a late shift & have us not secure at least an away draw..

By the way,I'm on a LATE tomorrow lads.COME ON BLUES
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

BLUEBLOOD alluded to my superstitious mindset a while back, so this thread is perhaps my chance to explain.

A whiile ago i wore shorts to a match and have done ever since, unless i'm coming back from work straight to football. (Even though i change en route in a dodgy train bog normally!)

I will ALWAYS wear the same clothes i wore the week before...washed of course. Pants, socks, trainers, white shirt, red shirt and SUFC coat, plus my lucky red hat!
Once washed i always hang them the same way, in the same place as the week before. It's been mighty cold on some occasions but i still wear the same stuff. Others might think me a stupid sad fool, but if it does any good then it's worth it.

If we lose, i change only ONE item of clothing. Then if we lose the next match, i'll change another...and so on and so on. Wierd, i know
rock.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

last season i didnt cut my hair until we went up, this season, as u might of noticed, i've made it into a tradition, of not doing it again, i'll wait untill i know we're up, might hold on till the end of the season incase its for the title though
down.gif

I bought the current home shirt just before the start of this season and it hasn't been washed yet - I'm not going to wash it until we're up! I also started wearing a 'lucky' pair of boxer shorts on matchdays about half way through last season that seem to be working wonders (these have been washed though
tounge.gif
)

I always buy a programme ....from the sellers or the hut or shop, whatever.... but ....it has to be the 2nd one down in the pile ( definately not the one the seller is waving under my nose). ....., i've had a few funny looks from the sellers but hey, i guess they'll never understand.... ..sad misguided fools think all the programmes are the same!
Oh, and i always have a lucky cup o'tea from my lucky Blues mug on a matchday!

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back