• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Seeing as its been a while since I did these and, for a change, I'm not doing the slightly arduous 2 hour journey home, I thought I might put up my thoughts on today's game.

All in all, we weren't really that bad overall. Oldham succeeded where many other clubs have failed in the past and really closed down Maher and McCormack. Hughes was joining the midfield to press Maher and we repeatedly ended up dropping the ball at Peter Clarke's feet for him to howitzer aimless balls downfield. I honestly can't remember which came first but the two telling moments of the first twenty minutes were what was, what would become and what could have been.

For the goal, Barrett tried to win a ball that wasn't there to be won and sensing a gap, Hughes turned and bundled his way past the floundering defender before taking his time to slot the ball in tothe far corner. In fairness, it was an excellent finish but very naive defending. It should have been 1-1 though where a flicked ball from Maher was picked up by Clarke who showed outstanding strength to get free, superb balance to skip past the keeper but shocking composure meant his tap-in was very much a tap-out. Shocking miss and you started to worry. A moment that would later turn out to be pivotal was the booking of McCormack for an innocuous looking trip in the Oldham half. Frankly, this was a joke with only ten minutes on teh clock and for a first foul.

In spite of this, the West stand kept trying to lift the team and as the half wore on, Southend became more and mroe dominant. Maher and McCormack were given more room as Oldham struggled to keep up the intensity but chances were few and far between. Hughes' movement and his strike partner's physical threat meant we couldn't push on too much. Clarke P missed the first of several opportunities from a corner that seemed to be cleared off the line and a further effort from a corner was headed out from under the bar.

At half time, in spite of Southend's increasing dominance, I was still wondering how we would score as we never seemed threatening. Our wingers had offered approximately nothing in the first half and left far too much for the two central guys. Barrett and Clarke kept up their uncomfortable marriage and each must be looking for the time when the affair of that relationship, Richards, gets an oportunity. Hunt and Hammell really didn't do a lot wrong and the front two looked to have an excellent understanding without managing to create anything particularly clear cut.

The second half started where it left off inthe first for Southend. Black seemed to have realised he could sprint and sprint quicker than their full back and we owned the central midfield area while our defenders dealt fairly comfortably with any Oldham threat. The only moment of genuine worry I can remember was Barrett, again sadly, defending with too much naivety in the left back slot and getting robbed by Hughes. How Peter Clarke didn't get penalised for his superb one handed save, I don't know. Southend continued to probe and just after the hour mark (I think), Hammell broke superbly from defence to free McCormack. As the centre back came to close him down, he slotted L Clarke in to the empty space but he showed little composure with his finish and the keeper snuffed out the chance.

This was to be McCormack's last input before, in almost the direct opposite part of the pitch from his first booking, he inexplicably raked his boot across the back of an Oldham player's leg. This one was a definite booking but the anger from the crowd and players related to the farcical first.

In truth, Southend struggled to threaten any more after the sending off as McCormack had been influential in the middle and we had to switch to long balls. A couple of late corners posed little threat other than a half chance for Clarke P and really there was little to get excited about late on.

Overall, a reasonable performance and not lacking effort but sometimes it doesn't come off. As we've seen on another day, Clarke will be good enough to score those chances and without the farcical first booking, McCormack would have only picked up the one.

The disciplinary situation is ridiculous now though and something the club seriously need to address. Granted, it's a part of both McCormack and Bailey's game to make tackles and enforce the midfield but Robbie Savage has only been sent off once in his entire career and he's one of the best in the country at this role. How do you make players control their aggression? I don't know but this may turn out to be one of the biggest tests of Tilson's managerial career. We can't be playing with a man down as often as we are and we can't be missing some of our most influential players every few games. The crazy thing is that we're not a dirty team - the players are just making shocking decisions at times.

Ratings to follow post dinner.

Great summary, the bit about Tilson needing to do something about the disciplinary issue in particular. Of course its difficult to know what he does about these things behind closed doors, but I've always got the impression that he is 'one of the lads' rather than the boss.

This was OK when we had the likes of Prior in the side, who were old team-mates of Tilson's, and were model professionals. But now, with a much younger team of players Tilly hasn't known for as long as Prior or Edwards, I think its time for him to get more of a stern grip on the team.

If Tilson is to improve as a manager, he must be willing to change his approach for different players. In the case of Bailey and Mccormack, perhaps stronger in-club displinary action is needed to get the message across: we are not a good enough team to win with only ten players (arguably we aren't good enough with eleven either, but that's besides the point).

Of course I may be entirely mis-reading the situation, but even if I am, something still needs doing to prevent further sending-offs, which we simply can't afford if we're to make the play-offs.

Ratings:

Collis - Busier than he would have liked but responded well to when Oldham were regularly given too much room to shoot. One excellent one-onone save stands out and little chance of saving such a high quality finish - 7.5

Hunt - Pretty much the pick of our defenders first half and a useful part of our attack second. Still, you know he's going to struggle against anything decent and was left standing several times - 6

Hammell - He seems to act with more attacking intent each time I saw him and was useful going forwards. Almost scored one himself and may well ask his teammates why none of his high quality corners were converted - 7.5

Barrett - Did a good job on 90% of occasions but let Hughes beat him far too easily twice that really should have been two goals. Unfortunate but defenders get judged on their consistency - 5.5

Clarke - Like Barrett, never got to grips with Hughes and was majorly bailed out by McCormack in the first half after Hughes looked to score a second - 6

Black - Chalk and cheese halves from Black. Wasteful in the first, useful in the second. As with JCR last season, needs to improve his final ball or score himself. Overall quite ineffective - 6

Morgan - I'm not faulting his effort or doubting his pace but the lad simply doesn't look like he can do anything with the ball at his feet. One rasping shot in the first half was good to see but perhaps a bad choice. Reminds me of Broughton in the way he struts around like he's the star player but yet to prove it. - 5.5

Maher - Needed someone to take some pressure off him first half as he was made ineffective. Should have had an assist but for L Clarke's miss. As soon as he got in to the game, we made chances. Still controls our tempo completely - 6.5

McCormack - Probably the trickiest player to mark. Taking disciplinary issues aside, he was his usual bustling self and showed a better range of passing than normal. Possibly the best Southend player on the pitch. However, I know he shouldn't have been booked first but he was and with that booking, it was pure idiocy to make that second challenge. It was completely unnecessary and may have cost us 1 or 3 points as we weren't nearly as good after his exit - 7

MacDonald - Tireless work rate suggests that he realises he needs to take his chances and almost made some openings through work rate alone. In my view, that was the best looking partnership I've seen at Southend and it owed a lot to MacDonald changing his game to suit Clarke. Has to start next time - 8 ( SUFC MOTM)

Clarke L - Ok, he missed an open goal and ok he missed a one on one which both would have earned us a point or three but his link up play with MacDonald was refreshing and promising in equal measures. It just wasn't his day and all his long range efforts looked limp. Still, his mere presence in the team makes us tangibly better and everything bar his finishing was excellent. - 7.5

SUBS

Moussa - really offered nothing but by that point we had given up on midfield. Not even convinced he had more to do than shepherding out an Oldham attack

Last edited:
It should have been 1-1 though where a flicked ball from Maher was picked up by Clarke who showed outstanding strength to get free, superb balance to skip past the keeper but shocking composure meant his tap-in was very much a tap-out. Shocking miss and you started to worry. A moment that would later turn out to be pivotal was the booking of McCormack for an innocuous looking trip in the Oldham half. Frankly, this was a joke with only ten minutes on teh clock and for a first foul.

In Leon's defence he was off-balance when he struck the ball and I don't think he realised how much time he had. In a way I wish he'd have gone down when Crossley came out as we could have done with the penalty and the red card that would have had to have followed.

As for McCormack... I'm 99% certain that the first yellow was for dissent rather than for the foul himself. The ref blew for it but only took any further action when McCormack started mouthing off at him. Just like last week it was a stupid booking which ended up costing us and like Bailey at Swansea I've got no sympathy for him.

The unfortunate thing is... Once we got the worst disciplinary record in the league - The refs were going to be handing out cards to us at a phenomenal rate.

hammell was never our best player. he having a dip in form at the moment. i don't really know who was our best player. was there one?

for me its our problem to not control our players that worries me. is it not every game at least one player gets booked for mouthing off at the ref for a decision. how is this going to change his mind. its all fair anough to put your point across but its not asif the refs going to go ok you can have the freekick then.

I honestly can't remember one good Oldham chance coming down Hammell's flank. Attackingwise, he was regularly busting a gut to get forwards and his set pieces offered one of our biggest threats. They seemed far happier going long to Hughes or (the one I've only just found out to be) Craig Davies who both acted admiarbly as targetmen.

Back