• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question SUFC Youth Team coverage - your thoughts and views please

Hi all.

Southend United U19s start their 2024/25 campaign away to Eastleigh next Wednesday.

I’d be interested to hear what fans would like to see more (or less) coverage of during the upcoming season so I can attempt to reflect this (providing it’s possible and agreeable).

Last season match updates from the U19s were provided on Twitter/X via the @SUFCYouth account, with match reports provided on the club website and in the Echo. There’s also a 500-600 page in the first team matchday programme, which I tried to make different by utilising quotes from head coach Danny Heath.

There’s a second team playing in the National League U19 Alliance this season, but I won’t physically be able to be at both matches on any matchday.

So, over to you guys (and please be as specific or general as you want): what could improve the coverage already provided, is there a medium that’s being untapped, would you prefer coverage of one team or a mix of both, and anything else you can think of!

It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Rob

It would be great to just have the fixtures published somewhere accessible and know when they play home and away. It’s been lacking of recent seasons.
Thanks. The U19s fixtures were available all last season on the official website via this link: https://www.southendunited.co.uk/matches/u19

As the note now says, 2024/25 fixtures are due to be added soon.

In the mean-time, the following links show updated information on The FA’s Full-Time website:
National League U19 Alliance Academy South Division: https://fulltime.thefa.com/displayTeam.html?divisionseason=961733172&teamID=269159096
U19s
National League U19 Alliance A Division: https://fulltime.thefa.com/displayTeam.html?divisionseason=445334617&teamID=235271187#tab-1

With two teams running, essentially one team will be at home (with all home fixtures due to be staged at Garon Park) each Wednesday afternoon.

How comes there’s 2 teams?
This explainer should help:
One immediate change with the youth set-up now being outsourced to the Southend United Community Foundation is the introduction of a second team participating in the National League U19 Alliance A Division. This sits a level below the Academy South Division that Danny Heath’s side participated in last season and will give Heath the opportunity to introduce younger players to the competition one tier down from the top. Many teams in the Academy South Division field a significant number of third-year scholars, so physically 16-year-old players may require a little more time to adjust before stepping up to compete at that level, but they will be able to progress if they are impressing in the A Division, whilst older players can also be eased back from injury. 19 new first-year scholars have been enrolled for 2024/25.

The @SUFCyouth account on Twitter is excellent.

It might be optimistic but a short highlight package after each game showing the goals would be fantastic.

In addition to the squad profiles I’d also suggest some basic stats like appearances, goals etc on the website.

Will you be following the Academy South division side each week or just attending whoever plays at home that week?

The @SUFCyouth account on Twitter is excellent.

It might be optimistic but a short highlight package after each game showing the goals would be fantastic.

In addition to the squad profiles I’d also suggest some basic stats like appearances, goals etc on the website.

Will you be following the Academy South division side each week or just attending whoever plays at home that week?
Thanks!

I agree, a highlights package would be fantastic. I’ve been very conscious over the last few years of asking other people if they’re able to do anything extra, and there have also been times when we’ve not had the equipment available, but I’ll look to explore if it’s possible to clip up some key highlights on a weekly basis.

In terms of the stats, I do have those, but I don’t think it’d be easy to keep them updated on the club website. However, I think historic seasonal statistics could be added to player profiles fairly easily.

On the last question, I’m undecided at the moment. Certainly reporting home matches each week would be easier, but I’ll try to work out a way to provide the best coverage of both teams each week.

sThis explainer should help:
One immediate change with the youth set-up now being outsourced to the Southend United Community Foundation is the introduction of a second team participating in the National League U19 Alliance A Division. This sits a level below the Academy South Division that Danny Heath’s side participated in last season and will give Heath the opportunity to introduce younger players to the competition one tier down from the top. Many teams in the Academy South Division field a significant number of third-year scholars, so physically 16-year-old players may require a little more time to adjust before stepping up to compete at that level, but they will be able to progress if they are impressing in the A Division, whilst older players can also be eased back from injury. 19 new first-year scholars have been enrolled for 2024/25.

Interesting. So it seems we have a Reserve/B team for the U19s?

Maybe this doesn't sit within your remit, but would be good to have transparency on players heading out on loan. I know we have Louis Bragg, Olu Shobowale and Obi Okaffor out but would be great just to announce players going on loan.

Agreed especially as they normally go to a local-ish team further down the pyramid, and when we are away, I do on occasion like to do a bit of ground hopping and support the yoofs if possible.

Back