• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Starting line-ups over the last twenty years

Napster

No ⭐
A quick look at twenty years of season-starting line-ups.

10/8/2002 - A v Hull 2-2 (Jenkins, Bramble)
Line up: Flahavan, Jenkins, Cort, Broad, Searle, Whelan, Clark, Maher, Selley, Rawle, Jones.

This is pretty much the line-up for the season with two notable omissions. Jay Smith came in November, and played 37 times. Tes also played 39 times, and scored 11. This is half-way through Newman's reign.

9/8/2003 - H v Cheltenham 2-0 (Gower 2)
Line up: Emberson, Warren, McSweeney, Cort, Jupp, Gower, Odunsi, Corbett, Maher, Husbands, Broughton.

Final line up: Flahavan, Hunt, Cort, Jupp, Wilson, Nicolau, Bentley, Maher, Constantine, Dudfield, Bramble

Hell of a contrast there as Tilly rips up Wignall's side!

7/8/2004 - H v Cheltenham L 0-2
Line up: Griemink, Prior, Hunt, Jupp, Edwards, Gower, Nicolau, Pettefer, Maher, Dudfield, Gray

Defence looking more solid now.

6/8/2005 -H v Port Vale L 1-2
Line up: Flahavan, Prior, Barrett, Jupp, Wilson, Bentley, Guttridge, Cole, Maher, Eastwood, Gray

Barrett and Eastwood come in.

5/8/2006 - H v Stoke W 1-0 (Eastwood)
Line -up Flahavan, Prior, Hammell, Barrett, Francis, Gower, Guttridge, Campbell-Ryce, Maher, Eastwood, Bradbury

11/8/2007 H v Leyton Orient L 1-2 (Gower, McCormack sent off)
Line up: Flahavan, Barrett, Clarke, Wilson, Gilbert, Gower, McCormack, Campbell-Ryce, Maher, Harrold, Hooper

Kerrea Gilbert! The first of six games on loan and Maher's last season-starting game

9/8/2008 H v Peterborough W 1-0 (Clarke)
Line up Mildenhall, Harding, Barrett, Clarke, Francis, Moussa, Bailey, Scannell, Walker, Furlong, Barnard

8/8/2009 H v Huddersfield D 2-2 (Barnard, Moussa)
Line up Mildenhall, Christophe, Heath, Barrett, Francis, White, McCormack, Moussa, Grant, Laurent, Barnard

John White's Southend debut and Tilly's last season-starting line-up

7/8/2010 H v Stockport D 1-1 (Sturrock, 90)
Line up Morris, Clohessy, Phillips, Prosser, Barker, Simpson, Grant, Easton, Soares, Corr, Spencer

Paul Sturrock's first season-starting line up. Moshni and Ryan Hall made their debuts later in the season

6/8/2011 H v Hereford W 1-0 (Moshni)
Line up Morris, Clohessy, Mohsni, Phillips, Prosser, Barker, Hall, Grant, Kalala, Harris, Johnson

Defence is stable - attack almost completely changed. Liam Dickinson and Dan Bentley were on the bench

14/8/2012 A v Peterbroough L 0-4
Line up Belford, Clohessy, Straker, Phillips, Prosser, Barker, Hall, Ferdinand, Leonard, Harris, Benyon

Kevan Hurst on the bench.

3/8/2013 H v Plymouth W 1-0 (Corr)
Line up Bentley, White, Coker, Phillips, Prosser, Straker, Laird, Atkinson, Leonard, Eastwood, Corr

Phil Brown's first season starting line up

9/8/2014 A v Accrington W 1-0 (Barnard)
Line up Bentley, White, Coker, Prosser, Bolger, Weston, Hurst, Clifford, Leonard, Corr, Coulthirst

On the bench: Jack Payne

8/8/2015 A v Fleetwood D 1-1 (Atkinson)
Line up Bentley, White, Coker, Bolger, Barrett, Wordsworth, Weston, Atkinson, Hurst, Leonard, Mooney

On the bench: Timlin

6/8/2016 H v Gillingham L 1-3 (McLaughlin) - Osadebe scored for Gillingham
Line up Oxley, Coker, Thompson, Barrett, Demetriou, McLaughlin, Atkinson, McGlashan, Leonard, Mooney, Cox

Demi's debut, and on the bench: Jack Bridge!

5/8/2017 H v Blackburn W 2-1 (Leonard, Kightly)
Line up Oxley, Ferdinand, Demetriou, White, Hendrie, Kightly, Timlin, McGlashan, Leonard, Fortune, Cox

Phil Brown's last season-starting line-up in this spell

4/8/2018 H v Doncaster L 2-3 (Hopper, Robinson)
Line up Oxley, Coker, Turner, Demetriou, Lennon, Hyam, Kightly, McLaughlin, Mantom, Hopper, Cox

Chris Powell's first and last season-starting line up

3/8/2019 A v Coventry L 0-1
Line up Oxley, Bwomono, Ralph, Shaughnessy, Lennon, Hyam, Milligan, McLaughlin, Mantom, Goodship, Robinson

Kevin Bond's first and last season-starting line-up. Ralph's debut

5/9/2020 A v Gillingham L 0-1
Line up Oxley, Bwomono, Hobson, Taylor, White, Dieng, Egbri, Hutchinson, Green, Goodship, Kelman

Mark Molesley's first and last season-starting line-up

21/8/2021 A v Kings Lynn W 0-1 (Dalby)
Line up Arnold, Ralph, Coulson, Demetriou, White, Ogogo, Bridge, Ferguson, Phillips, Murphy, Dalby

Phil Brown's last chance at redemption.

6/8/22 H v Boreham Wood L 0-1
Line up Arnold, Ralph, Hobson, Kensdale, Clifford, Taylor, Bridge, Husin, Miley, Mooney Hyde

Kev's first opening game starts with a loss

5/8/23 H v Oldham W 4-0 (Powell (8), Coker (84), Mooney (87), Cardwell (90))
Line up Andeng-Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Ralph, Kensdale, Taylor, Bridge, Husin, Powell, Miley, Fonguck, Cardwell

Last edited:
8/8/2009 H v Huddersfield D 2-2 (Barnard, Moussa)
Line up Mildenhall, Christophe, Heath, Barrett, Francis, White, McCormack, Moussa, Grant, Laurent, Barnard

7/8/2010 H v Stockport D 1-1 (Sturrock, 90)
Line up Morris, Clohessy, Phillips, Prosser, Barker, Simpson, Grant, Easton, Soares, Corr, Spencer
Really puts into perspective what an achievement that was to see Grant was the only one still there and get so many of those additions right.

5/9/2020 A v Gillingham L 0-1
Line up Oxley, Bwomono, Hobson, Taylor, White, Dieng, Egbri, Hutchinson, Green, Goodship, Kelman

21/8/2021 A v Kings Lynn L 0-1
Line up Arnold, Ralph, Coulson, Demetriou, White, Ogogo, Bridge, Ferguson, Phillips, Murphy, Dalby
And what an absolute mess this was to only have White still there and get so many of those additions wrong.

When you look at that starting line up last season for all the weaknesses we should never have got into the mess we did. The real weakness was in the dugout.

Thanks for documenting that Naps. I was at most of those and remember celebrating the late equaliser from Tes on my first visit to Hull.

Pretty sure we won at Kings Lynn though!

Thanks for documenting that Naps. I was at most of those and remember celebrating the late equaliser from Tes on my first visit to Hull.

Pretty sure we won at Kings Lynn though!
Thanks for spotting, twenty line-ups and I was bound to get one wrong!¬

When you look at that starting line up last season for all the weaknesses we should never have got into the mess we did. The real weakness was in the dugout.
It contains good players but that was a horrendous team as it’s so slow. Coulson, White, Demetriou, Phillips, Ogogo, Bridge, Dalby.

Imagine having watched that 2020/21 side and concluded I know what a wrong with that side: they are too athletic. Let’s to try find a side even slower and more laboured.

I don’t think Grant gets the praise he deserves for sticking with us … Adam Barrett jumped ship as it was sinking but Grant tried to keep it afloat. FWIW I never really noticed until I saw this thread but fair play to him
Yes indeed—I recall Barrett was the first,the leader to jump the sinking ship. The name we now use for Ron Martin should have already been taken.

I don’t think Grant gets the praise he deserves for sticking with us … Adam Barrett jumped ship as it was sinking but Grant tried to keep it afloat. FWIW I never really noticed until I saw this thread but fair play to him
It been mentioned literally hundreds of times on here over the years that he was the only one that stayed- put Anthony grant into the search function and see
He also quite rightly got massive support from the terraces for staying

Last edited:
Back