• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

Why can't people accept things as they are? No Cox, no Hopper, no Humphries, what do people expect? People said get rid of all the senior players and play youngsters. That's what has happened and they are still not happy, did they expect anything different? Looking at Mantom's expression as he was subbed will not be surprised if he will be gone soon, that should make a lot of fans happy at least. With the amount of injuries don't think Campbell, with the current situation at the club, can improve things before next season. Give him a chance, encourage the younsters and look forward to next season.

Mantom was man of the match before his inexplicable substitution.

I heard he was waving goodbye to the fans today
Not on your nelly, he won't walk unless Ron pays him off. It's going to be interesting to see who puts up with who best.

I blame one man for today's defeat. The manager picked that side, the manager moved players about, and the manager continues not to pick certain players.

Tim Dieng has looked comfortable at CB, so why on earth did Sol think it was the right thing to do to move him into a midfield three with Milligan and Mantom? This is a formation that FAILED for Bond and for Powell, IIRC. Dieng should have been CB with Shaugnessy, and Mitchell-Nelson should have dropped to the bench, allowing another forward to start alongside the lonely Charlie Kelman. I like Terrell Egbri but he's not really ready, and Barratt would have been a better option to start. And, don't even get me started on Isaac Hutchinson!

Mantom back on set pieces too, what on earth was Sol thinking there? And a loanee GK who is probably less experienced than Harry Seaden - wrong move. Let's just get Ted sorted and into the starting line up for next weekend.

Last edited:
Does it really matter who played well they will all be gone at the end of the season. It will be like 2010 all over. Sol is clearly a manager who does not play attacking football he will be gone too.

What on earth game were you watching? He was awful!

Absolutely not.

He was back in the appalling position of having to play alongside the laziest midfielder in the division who had just come back from his holiday hiding in the back five.

He was the hardest working player on the pitch and everything decent that we created came through Sam.

After he was ridiculously substituted we offered nothing.

Yes he made some mistakes but he didn’t hide after making them and continued giving everything.

The obvious substitution was Dieng but if you do almost nothing you make almost no mistakes.

Mods, what's going on with the threads tonight? The post match thread either didn't exist of disappeared for a while :Unsure:

Now it's back but the replies here that link to posts there now make no sense! I think everything on this thread post game from GBJ's post 40 mins ago needs shifting. Thanks!
I think it's as moved and re-instated as it can be now. Somehow the post match thread was merged with another (and it wasn't me!)

So many bad players in the squad, difficult to pick the bones out of performances. And that's after getting shot of a load of rotten eggs already. Sol does need a ruddy big broom and backing from the chairman to do it all. Its a lot to sort out and naturally Ron couldnt afford the ripped up contracts all in one hit.
Sorry Sol you'll have to wait till the summer. Well thats what i reckon. At least with Sol he will do that job. Its just dire at the moment as the kids learn on their feet and we are still carrying the experienced lads.
It felt today like a resignation. Well it would do with being a goal down after 5mins. Chin up.

Mantom stormed off straight down the tunnel after his substitution and I don’t blame him one bit after the ridiculous abuse he gets from the morons.

Not on your nelly, he won't walk unless Ron pays him off. It's going to be interesting to see how puts up with who best.

I blame one man for today's defeat. The manager picked that side, the manager moved players about, and the manager continues not to pick certain players.

Tim Dieng has looked comfortable at CB, so why on earth did Sol think it was the right thing to do to move him into a midfield three with Milligan and Mantom? This is a formation that FAILED for Bond and for Powell, IIRC. Dieng should have been CB with Shaugnessy, and Mitchell-Nelson should have dropped to the bench, allowing another forward to start alongside the lonely Charlie Kelman. I like Terrell Egbri but he's not really ready, and Barratt would have been a better option to start. And, don't even get me started on Isaac Hutchinson!

Mantom back on set pieces too, what on earth was Sol thinking there? And a loanee GK who is probably less experienced than Harry Seaden - wrong move. Let's just get Ted sorted and into the starting line up for next weekend.

i said much the same pre match thread and after post match tuesday.
Egbri offers little- (no pun intended)- at least Sol changed it early (by his standards)
Mitchell Nelson- looks like he has a mistake in him every match (I don't blame him, pre match paul clark said he had just spoken to ricky Duncan who said this has come a year to early for Miles).
Dieng has been really good as CB last few games, and has been consistently mehhhh as CM, and can't last 90 mins--- guess what happened today
Clifford - I get as he has played well, and maybe it was tooo early for kyps to play (two games in 5 days) , but if it was an option I would have preferred kyps with clifford in front of him.
no third sub - when to be it clearly wasn't working
I could see why Mantom went straight down the tunnel, everyone gets on his back for the mistakes, and gives him FA credit for the good bits.
I said on the campbell thread that I would rate him when he had options- today he had options and got it wrong.

Keeper- enough has been said, does anyone get it ? Ron said we had agreed terms with Ted, well if we register him then the loanee has to go back anyway (unless we were stringing Ted along looking to see how good the loanee is before making a decision on signing Ted),

Bar the last 5 mins , and laughing at their keeper I didn't enjoy much today, and came away quite angry

Burton were hardly quality - Many/most /all ? of us didn't like the line up and could see issues with it- and we were right- and it gives me sod all pleasure writing that

Absolutely not.

He was back in the appalling position of having to play alongside the laziest midfielder in the division who had just come back from his holiday hiding in the back five.

He was the hardest working player on the pitch and everything decent that we created came through Sam.

After he was ridiculously substituted we offered nothing.

Yes he made some mistakes but he didn’t hide after making them and continued giving everything.

The obvious substitution was Dieng but if you do almost nothing you make almost no mistakes.

Dieng was worse and the fact that he's our captain infuriated and embarrased me today. However, Mantom despite being 'busier' was also poor IMO and I had no problem with him being subbed. Milligan was easily the best of the midfield 3 and should be reinstated as captain for me.

Dieng was worse and the fact that he's our captain infuriated and embarrased me today. However, Mantom despite being 'busier' was also poor IMO and I had no problem with him being subbed. Milligan was easily the best of the midfield 3 and should be reinstated as captain for me.

Milligan has looked hugely improved recently but today, with Mantom and Dieng alongside him in midfield, it was back to the poor stuff we saw earlier on in the season.

Today I think perhaps opened a few eyes, judging by the atmosphere at the Hall and a few comments I overheard. A keeper brought in who’s no better than our own. Dieng moves back to MF with Mantom which is always gonna leave us exposed. Egbri starts over Barratt and Hutchinson (nothing against Terrell but he isn’t a starter at the minute)... Barratt showed flashes when he came on, as would Isaac if he wasn’t pathetically being left on the bench. Demi was where?? He’s been the spark in many games for us. Kelman up top .. it ain’t working Sol!! Why bring Acquah back if you won’t play him? Why leave Rush and Goodship on the bench? Where was plan B? We had a bit of momentum going .. leading to Lincoln (where the crowd were 100% behind Sol and the club seemed united, briefly, again) and it’s all unravelled .. why??

I’ll wait to be shot down by some smart ar*e justifying today’s tactics.
BRILIANT - top reply

Replacing Harry Seadon 18 yrs old with a loanee 19 year old keeper after1 game? Great man management and confidence builder for the lad by the club. Does Sol really think we are staying up?

Milligan has looked hugely improved recently but today, with Mantom and Dieng alongside him in midfield, it was back to the poor stuff we saw earlier on in the season.

I still thought he was the best of the three, and the only one who fancied winning a 50/50 challenge. However I agree that he wasn't anywhere near as good as in the last few games and I'm probably clutching at straws.

Back