• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Gateshead, Saturday 28th September, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Results

• Total voters

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
After three consecutive away games, it’s back to Roots Hall with the visitors making the long trip from Gateshead.

Rob Elliot's side currently sit 5th in the table - 6 points ahead of us having played a game less than us. Whilst we were toiling away for a barely deserved point at Wealdstone, the Heed enjoyed a regulation 2-0 win at home to Boston to get back to winning ways following consecutive defeats at home to Sutton (0-2) and away at Dagenham (7-1). I bumped into a couple of members of the Dagenham backroom staff in the queue at Greggs at Rugby services on Tuesday lunchtime - they were on their way to Altrincham. I asked them about that result and they still can't explain where that came from! Let's hope that trips to the South, east of London, really don't agree with them and we enjoy a similar rout on Saturday.

However on the evidence of Tuesday evening, that seems extremely unlikely - especially if the team, either under instruction or under their own initiative, decide that the object of the game is to string as many passes along our own back line as possible without giving the ball away like they did in possibly the dullest first half of football ever at Wealdstone.

That back line is going to need some tinkering with seeing as one of our first choice centre backs (Ralph) is suspended and another (Taylor) looks like he picked up an injury serious enough not to be involved on Saturday. Gubbins should be a shoe-in for the left sided berth - who takes Taylor's spot is perhaps a bit more tricky and gives plenty of scope for discussion in this thread.

It was a relief to see Josh Walker back on the bench on Tuesday night and even more of a relief when he bundled the ball home in the 94th minute. Whether he's fit to start on Saturday is another matter, but at least we have another option up top again.

So who would you choose to start and what result will our Jekyll and Hyde team get this Saturday? Over to you!

Last edited:
Just sign Calum butcher.! Everything was agreed but Kev isn’t sure. Obviously he won’t be match fit yet but no player is going to be match fit whoever we get in.

Many thanks
Logically then a back 4 assuming that Wind can play/is right footed?

Formation wise, if only for one game 😎😎🤔🤔🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺
Elvis. Portsmouth. Still have nightmares.

If the alternative were Gus at CB then still probably better than a back four where I would put Morton in there (at least he’s left footed). Neither Guss or Wind have ever played LB as far as I can tell. (Btw Morton’s never played LB either)

Trouble with Gus at CB is he’s also never played there (and he’s out top scorer in his natural position). No obvious solution if we don’t bring someone in. And what we do if Gubbins or Crowther get injured early on who knows. At least we’re not playing a side renowned for their attacking prowess…oh hold on…

Watched the Gateshead highlights last night, and they tore Boston a new one!
Tough and sharp in and around the box, although Boston had an isolated chance or two themselves.
Interestingly, Heed are not that aerial, but I've seen quicker movement at a GWR ticket window than Gubbins in our box.
One of Arteta's 'miracles' is needed to prevent 'nil' on the Gateshead side of the scoreboard.

Wind looks quite good to me, if needs be Id be happy to go with him as equivalent of right back, would have to be alongside Crowther and Gubbins, who I think is better than some give credit too, and start with Moreton
However to be /get in this position is dreadful. One more Hammy , ankle or knee, then what?

Watched the Gateshead highlights last night, and they tore Boston a new one!
Tough and sharp in and around the box, although Boston had an isolated chance or two themselves.
When we played them at home in Feb, i thought they were a very fast & fit team. Ok they had a disaster at Dagenham ( like many would say we did at Flyde & last night? ), but with our current injury list & Ralph suspended, i'd be more than happy with a point from the game.

Back