• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United legend Freddy Eastwood enjoys Roots Hall return

FREDDY Eastwood is confident Southend United will soon get their season back on track.

The Shrimpers have triumphed just once in six games following Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to Maidenhead United. But Eastwood - who returned to Roots Hall on the eve of the game - still expects Blues to have a good campaign.

“Kev (Maher) knows the club better than anyone and has done a great job,” said Eastwood. “My dad still goes to a lot of the games and my nephew does too so I know there have been a lot of changes recently.

“It can take time for things to settle down when that kind of thing happens, especially in a team where there haven’t been any changes for a long time. “I still think Southend will get back up the table and have a good season.

“I’d definitely love to see them get promotion.”

Eastwood won two promotions during his first spell with the Shrimpers which saw him score 49 goals across the two campaigns. And the 40-year-old was happy to be back at his former club as part of Echo reporter Chris Phillips’ charity challenge which saw him sit on every seat in Roots Hall.

“I haven’t been here for four years but it always brings back so many memories when I am here,” said Eastwood. “We had great times with a great group and I was able to score a few goals.

“The hat-trick on my debut against Swansea got it going so of course I remember that and play-off games too.

“I remember scoring a penalty in that one, against Northampton, but obviously the one every mentions the most is the free-kick against Manchester United.

“I think that was probably the most memorable goal I got here, even though I am a Manchester United fan.”

Eastwood now works as a builder in the local areas.

But he hopes to be back at Roots Hall for a game again soon.

“I’d definitely love to be here for a match,” said Eastwood.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve watched and I’m really pleased the club has been saved now.

“The fans were always brilliant to me when I was here so I always want Southend to do well.

“I’d love to see them back in the league too.”

Been a long long time since we had a player like him in the side, got everybody off their seats, and was genuinely exciting going to every game.

That squad.... amazing memories.

Back