• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend special purple kit for Walsall?

sammyboy

Cannavaro
Just got this through email as did many of you i suppose but thought I would post it here... Looking forward to see it, Have the club ever done something like before for charity or are there any other one offs made?

On January 9th ‘The Blues’ become ‘The Purples’ as Southend United play in a brand new one off home shirt in support of the ‘End Polio Now’ campaign when they take on Walsall at Roots Hall.

As part of this initiative, the Club is pleased to announce that a limited number of the purple replica shirts being worn in the match will be made available for purchase.

The limited edition Nike branded shirts feature the ‘End Polio Now’ logo in the space kindly donated by Main Club Sponsors Insure and Go.

Shirts are priced at £40 for adults and from £33 for juniors, and for every shirt sold £10 will be donated to the End Polio Now appeal.

As of today supporters will be able to pre-order the shirt from the Club Shop but with extremely limited numbers available it is likely that pre-ordering will be the only way for supporters to secure this one-off historical piece of Southend United memorabilia.

Pre-orders can be made by calling the Club Shop now on 01702 351 117 and all shirts will be made available for collection on 9th January.*

Keep checking www.southendunited.co.uk for the latest news on the day itself, including snapshots of the shirt nearer the time.

For further information on campaign itself click please visit www.shrimperstrust.co.uk

Just got this through email as did many of you i suppose but thought I would post it here... Looking forward to see it, Have the club ever done something like before for charity or are there any other one offs made?

Millenium Silver shirt was done for the 1st LDV final

After the warchest debacle and HMRC administration crisis I think Ron Martin will be in for a very rough time on this forum if he doesn't end polio.

This'll be the shirt,

0002_night-purplewhitewhite.gif

Think this is a great idea, but why is only £10 being donated to the charity from a £40 sale when the cost of the shirt is only £10 trade including badge and sponsor logo.

So JustSport, not the club, net £20 per sale.

Last edited:
sammyboy said:
There were the Poppy ones that were sold after the ColU (?) game last season....

I know a 10er of it is going to a decent enough cause, but £33 for a kids shirt? That is proper extortionate

I actually asked if the club would think of maybe doing this in one of Ron's early "Question Time" blogs and his answer was pretty dismissive at the time, saying the club are already charity focused blah, blah, blah. Maybe they had a rethink - shame it's the manky design of last year's red shirt though (not bothered about it being purple)...

Also, would they not have been better doing this for the televised game at the Lego Stadium to "maximise exposure and support for the campaign"?

This'll be the shirt,

0002_night-purplewhitewhite.gif

Think this is a great idea, but why is only £10 being donated to the charity from a £40 sale when the cost of the shirt is only £10 trade including badge and sponsor logo.

So JustSport, not the club, net £20 per sale.

All profits should go to the cause - if this is not the case then I wouldn't buy it!!!!

Well, thank **** for that, just when I thought the club had ignored the abhorrent rise of Polio that has been sweeping across the nation, killing thousands daily.

All profits should go to the cause - if this is not the case then I wouldn't buy it!!!!

I too was a little surprised that only £10 was being donated from each sale. I reckon we aren't paying much more than £15 or so for these shirts after badging, branding etc. But we do have to charge VAT, and there are expenses involved in selling goods, not least the profit that the shop operators want/need to make.

At least there's transparency here in that nobody is being led to believe that the amount being donated is larger than £10.

At the end of the day, nobody if twisting anybody's arm to buy this shirt. I won't buy one as I'm not a particularly charitable guy and I don't actually like the shirt.

If you're that worried - just give the £10 direct to the charity and leave the shirt.

I too was a little surprised that only £10 was being donated from each sale. I reckon we aren't paying much more than £15 or so for these shirts after badging, branding etc. But we do have to charge VAT, and there are expenses involved in selling goods, not least the profit that the shop operators want/need to make.

At least there's transparency here in that nobody is being led to believe that the amount being donated is larger than £10.

At the end of the day, nobody if twisting anybody's arm to buy this shirt. I won't buy one as I'm not a particularly charitable guy and I don't actually like the shirt.

£10 in £40 is quite good, that's a quarter of the price going to charity. When Burton's sold t-shirts for Prostate Awareness in Movember they only gave £1 from £15 t-shirts!!! Can't you just praise the club for doing something good? Would you have thought to give £10 direct to the charity if the Blues weren't doing this? No. So already it's been a success.

Well, thank **** for that, just when I thought the club had ignored the abhorrent rise of Polio that has been sweeping across the nation, killing thousands daily.

Normally you're funny.

Last edited:
Can't you just praise the club for doing something good? Would you have thought to give £10 direct to the charity if the Blues weren't doing this? No. So already it's been a success.

I suggest you re-read my posting. I think I explained why £10 from each sale was a reasonable contribution given the expenses on top of the base price of the shirt, that was certainly my intention. I also praised the fact that there was complete transparency in the way that the club was going about this.

I was actually trying to defend the club from some of the criticisms levelled by people that didn't appear to have considered the matter fairly.

I am not one of those who continually snipe and moan about the club. I try and find the positive in most things and didn't appreciate the rebuke in your post.

I'll get over it though!

Back