• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sodje that for a game of soldiers - a match report

Well how heartrending was that?

Where to begin...

Blackpool were just rough. Apart from the goal I cant remember a shot that they had on target. They had the man who took the longest throw ins (in time and length), he was so slow it was unbelievable. You could hear the boos start from one stand and then spread to another he took so long. Timewasters extraordinaire. Wilcox also spent more time moaning at the linesman than he did actually playing, bringing on the ire of the Southend fans, which was fully deserved.

But we were our own worst enemies, dont get me wrong Im delighted to be 8 points clear but it wasnt a good performance and the anxiety and frustration in the fans and the players up until the equaliser will bear this out.

Gower - had a mare plain and simple. He couldnt be arsed to chase the ball when it went out near our goal area and from the throw in to Blackpool they scored. He continually lost possession, leading to Blackpool attacks. His head dropped and he should have been taken off sooner.

Goater - Goat was the one the Southend midfield aimed for repeatedly, a bit more pace and he'd have had a hattrick. He was beaten to the ball so many times when put it, and was unlucky not to score once he'd got past the Blackpool keeper. He went for accuracy rather than power and a defender was able to get back.

Guttridge - Again had a quiet game, also had a hilarious blast from outside the area which seemed to go directly up. A few flashes of old, (scything tackles and coming away with possession), and once his cards are taken away he'll be back to the Gutts of old. Why he didnt take the freekicks and they were left to Freddy baffled me

Freddy - Just a different class again. At times man marked by 2 Blackpool players with one in support, it wasnt a surprise to see him surrounded by orange. Getting the ball on near the corner and running past tackles and Blackpool defenders alike before burying it in the goal. Singlehandedly turned the match around

Flavs - couldnt do anything about the goal, and had a Grobbelaresque charge out of his area before losing possession but was sound and did that which was asked of him

Hunt - Had a good game, the only problem is he isnt Sodje, he seemed nervy and had a few miscommunications with Daryl, but was solid enough.

Everyone else was okay, Bradbury committed and chasing everything down, Maher calm produced some good corners

Crowd were okay, a lot of murmering and groaning but raised their game after the equaliser. And did I hear a drum in the South Stand

Last word as always to the Brian Wheeler and the Blue Belles - 'Its a bit warm today so theyre not wearing much'
wow.gif

Sit in the East Greens and had to pass comment to a couple of "supporters" who when Blackpool scored were loudly commenting "Well they deserved that!".....no they didn't, one shot all match, we were not brilliant but they were worse. Good solid professional performance, its a real shame that people do not get behind the boys as quickly as they start to criticise.
Lewis Hunt - class hasn't played for months and hasn't played at centre half for 2 years! Greta performance

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ April 08 2006,18:26)]What was that lino on?
rock.gif
If you talking about the lino in front of the West stand from my view in the East Greens he was spot on until the last 20 mins when he cocked up twice.

The reason he did not lift the flag straight away seems to make me think FIFA has been instructing them just in time for the World Cup, as a lot of Linos been doing this recently even in the Champions League.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ April 08 2006,19:26)]
[b said:
rock.gif
If you talking about the lino in front of the West stand from my view in the East Greens he was spot on until the last 20 mins when  he cocked up twice.

The reason he did not lift the flag straight away seems to make me think FIFA has been instructing them just in time for the World Cup, as a lot of Linos been doing this recently even in the Champions League.
Agree totally with the comments here....he was waiting for a while as directed...

This is though the most stupid, pathetic, useless pain in the arse ruling i have ever known. How many times was it blatantly obvious that the offside was correct but for a few seconds the "we've got away with it" bit of you kicks in and THAT is what makes you so mad!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ April 08 2006,18:27)]
[b said:
rock.gif
He'll probably hear Wilcox's voice in his sleep

He was so late on some decisions it was funny
He put the flag up so late on one incident this afternoon where he was actually flagging Lawrie Dudfield offside in last seasons game at home to Darlington.

The sooner FIFA stop f%&king around with the offside ruling and agree on a set rule the better... Its leaving everyone confused.
The porky lino had a mare today IMO, in the first half i saw him make decision after decision based on what the Ref decided, and when anything was down to him he cocked it up.

Wasn't in a position to judge 75% of his decisions in the 2nd half sitting in the East Reds, but some of the decisions he made looked odd to say the least.

What is wrong with the new system? Under the old system loads of perfectly good goals have been ruled out, and the game stopped needlessly because someone is offside even when the scorer wasn't. The new ruling is far more sensible, but sadly many commentators and not a few spectators can't be bothered to understand it and take it into account.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ April 08 2006,19:26)]
[b said:
rock.gif
If you talking about the lino in front of the West stand from my view in the East Greens he was spot on until the last 20 mins when  he cocked up twice.

Yep, the lino was actually correct on most of the offsides and as already stated has to wait to put his flag up.  Think one of the one's he did get wrong was flagging Gray offside over by the East Stand late on in the game.

Back