• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Shrimpers boss Maher does not feel let down by his players

These interviews and the disingenuous sound bites remind me of football manager games where you're asked to choose from various options for your post-match comment.

You know what you want to opt for, but you know that, to play the game well, you need to opt for the 'right' comment.

I bet Kev does feel players are letting him down and so he should. I also reckon he's told them as much.

Does he feel he has let the players down at all? It's not a one way street.
I certainly wouldn't if I were Maher.

Football is a game of moments and those moments are going against us right now mainly because of individual errors.

We have lost 5 games. Too many for this stage of the season but can you really say we have been dominated in any of them? We were all over Sutton until an 'after you Claude' in the middle. That goal gives them confidence and knocks ours and they go on to win.

Maidenhead, two goals from set plays. Poor yes. Maher's fault? No. Also, if Walker taps that open goal in on 46 minutes, we go on to win.

Gateshead, I will give them that they were the better side. Barnet only beat us with a long range strike and a pen. Maher didn't bring the guy down in the box.

Fylde we didn't take create enough for our possession and got done on the break with a top strike.

On the flip side the games we have won we have been totally dominant. In a side that is fragile and unsure of itself having lost several key players the first goal is vital.

There are issues, I am not saying there aren't. But those are mostly down to confidence, not managerial errors. We are making too many mistakes and not taking our chances. It's also why Kev won't be telling them they are letting them down and nor should he. One or two of those lads need lifting up at the moment, particularly Crowther and Collin. Throwing people under the bus to satisfy the blood lust of fans is not the way.

We need a win and a clean sheet from somewhere. Today is as good an opportunity as any against a side we have done well against the last two seasons.

Football is a game of moments and those moments are going against us right now mainly because of individual errors.

We have lost 5 games. Too many for this stage of the season but can you really say we have been dominated in any of them? We were all over Sutton until an 'after you Claude' in the middle. That goal gives them confidence and knocks ours and they go on to win.

Maidenhead, two goals from set plays. Poor yes. Maher's fault? No. Also, if Walker taps that open goal in on 46 minutes, we go on to win.

Gateshead, I will give them that they were the better side. Barnet only beat us with a long range strike and a pen. Maher didn't bring the guy down in the box.

Fylde we didn't take create enough for our possession and got done on the break with a top strike.

On the flip side the games we have won we have been totally dominant. In a side that is fragile and unsure of itself having lost several key players the first goal is vital.

There are issues, I am not saying there aren't. But those are mostly down to confidence, not managerial errors. We are making too many mistakes and not taking our chances. It's also why Kev won't be telling them they are letting them down and nor should he. One or two of those lads need lifting up at the moment, particularly Crowther and Collin. Throwing people under the bus to satisfy the blood lust of fans is not the way.

We need a win and a clean sheet from somewhere. Today is as good an opportunity as any against a side we have done well against the last two seasons.
Wow! You must be right and it is all down to the players. Not selection, tactics, changing tactics (or not), substitutions et al. Maher is the conductor and too many times he wants the band to play a slow waltz when they need to belt out Aerosmith.

I disagree we need a win and a clean sheet from somewhere. What we need is a run of decent performances, where we go back to being on the front foot, closing teams down etc

When we have won, they have not been followed up with another decent performance - we take one step forward and 4 back!

I disagree we need a win and a clean sheet from somewhere. What we need is a run of decent performances, where we go back to being on the front foot, closing teams down etc

When we have won, they have not been followed up with another decent performance - we take one step forward and 4 back!
Fair point, but until Cardwell and Kensdale are adequately replaced then we are going to struggle to achieve what we all want. The guts of our team has been ripped out so I would say for the moment performances will be inconsistent. The side will be rebuilt, but only with the right signings and not by a scatter brained approach.
Unfortunately, this is having to happen now rather than in time for the following season.

Wow! You must be right and it is all down to the players. Not selection, tactics, changing tactics (or not), substitutions et al. Maher is the conductor and too many times he wants the band to play a slow waltz when they need to belt out Aerosmith.
A lot of Aerosmith is slow dirge, with the odd belter, a bit like our performances this season. We need to play like a song that has a tempo a bit like Ace of Spades.

Agreed we haven't been dominated by anyone, this league is so poor. On the flip side we've only played well in a handful of games. Did we get outdone tactically several times...yep. Is Kev responsible for that....without question.

We can all dress it up however we like. All managers careers are defined by results. They aren't good enough at the moment for lots of different reasons but it's up to Kev to put that right. Hopefully he can pretty quickly!

Last edited:

Perfectly put Jai

I think he has been (let down by his players) so far this season on more than one occasion but whether he chooses to say it in the privacy of the dressing room rather than the publicity of the media which is a dangerous path to tread.

I can't even begin to describe how inaccurate this is.

Agreed we haven't been dominated by anyone, this league is so poor. On the flip side we've only played well in a handful of games. Did we get outdone tactically several times...yep. Is Kev responsible for that....without question.

We can all dress it up however we like. All managers careers are defined by results. They aren't good enough at the moment for lots of different reasons but it's up to Kev to put that right. Hopefully he can pretty quickly!
What we have been undone by several times this season, leading directly to dropped points, is a noticeable lack of confidence and belief, which has manifested itself in some of the basics not being done adequately on the pitch.

Some people can shout for their 442s and their "Plan Bs" all they want......neither of those things would have changed the basic errors made which have led to many of our goals conceded this season.

Last edited:
Some people can shout for their 442s and their "Plan Bs" all they want......neither of those things would have changed the basic errors made which have led to many of our goals conceded this season.
Of course tactics are not going to stop individual errors. Examples I've been critical this season is using Bonne as a loan striker which was very poor and not reacting when the Gateshead wingers were exploiting the gaps behind the wing backs. Basic stuff which Kev has got wrong, disagree?

Of course tactics are not going to stop individual errors. Examples I've been critical this season is using Bonne as a loan striker which was very poor and not reacting when the Gateshead wingers were exploiting the gaps behind the wing backs. Basic stuff which Kev has got wrong, disagree?
I agree that it definitely hamstrung us, but Maher isn't a "one up top" guy. I don't recall him ever having done it before he did it the other week, and he's stopped doing it again now that he has more options. That suggests to me that there was a reason for doing it which we weren't privy to.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back