• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richie B

Hi, I am a avid collector of premiership / div 1 football memorabilia but have come across an item that is puzzling me, the pieces I have are from an ex player (charlton, west ham, wolves, leicester ). in with some of his collectibles I found a glass "trophy", it has Southend United, club crest, the year 2000 with best wishes Ron Pountney on it. I have looked into this and have not found anything similar or any record of it. I am guessing that this could be a thank you gift for playing in his 2000 testimonial but am really not sure. The player had no connection to Southend Utd, and the only logical reason to have this would be a testimonial connection. If any fans that attended or anyone from the club knows anything about this trophy any information would be greatly appreciated. This may not be something that goes with the rest of my collection but I do like to find out a bit of history on a unknown piece as it drives me mad not knowing anything about it. Many Thanks for any help with my search for information on this cool piece.
Rich

Ronnie himself is still a Trust member, if no other way is found I will see if we can get a message to him for you. Might also be worth messaging Firestorm if he doesn't see this.

Hi, I am a avid collector of premiership / div 1 football memorabilia but have come across an item that is puzzling me, the pieces I have are from an ex player (charlton, west ham, wolves, leicester ). in with some of his collectibles I found a glass "trophy", it has Southend United, club crest, the year 2000 with best wishes Ron Pountney on it. I have looked into this and have not found anything similar or any record of it. I am guessing that this could be a thank you gift for playing in his 2000 testimonial but am really not sure. The player had no connection to Southend Utd, and the only logical reason to have this would be a testimonial connection. If any fans that attended or anyone from the club knows anything about this trophy any information would be greatly appreciated. This may not be something that goes with the rest of my collection but I do like to find out a bit of history on a unknown piece as it drives me mad not knowing anything about it. Many Thanks for any help with my search for information on this cool piece.
Rich
If this is a glass football shaped trophy then these were given to the players that played in Ron's Testimonial Match against Charlton in 2000. The match was played the best part of 14 years after Ron had left the club having been given a free transfer by Bobby Moore in 1985. His original match was against West Ham but due to a fixture congestion the match was never played. In the late 1990's a group of supporters led a campaign to get another match played for Ron and Charlton came and played pre-season. The former Southend & Charlton player Garry Nelson was a massive help having played with Ron when Southend were Champions of the old 4th.Division in 1980-81.

Do you know who the player was ?
I was on the organising committee for this one. Iirc so was RobM on here.
So we may be able to assist.
I did have several programmes but they are up in the loft

If this is a glass football shaped trophy then these were given to the players that played in Ron's Testimonial Match against Charlton in 2000. The match was played the best part of 14 years after Ron had left the club having been given a free transfer by Bobby Moore in 1985. His original match was against West Ham but due to a fixture congestion the match was never played. In the late 1990's a group of supporters led a campaign to get another match played for Ron and Charlton came and played pre-season. The former Southend & Charlton player Garry Nelson was a massive help having played with Ron when Southend were Champions of the old 4th.Division in 1980-81.

Yes, this is a glass football shaped trophy, I thought this could be the case but wasn't 100% sure. It is a great story and just shows the real strength of fan power !! Having not being able to view any images of the trophy makes it difficult to work out why he would have it, but all the pieces now fit together. Many Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this - much appreciated. If I do decide not to keep this I will post details about it on these forums first as would prefer it to go to a genuine fan.

Do you know who the player was ?
I was on the organising committee for this one. Iirc so was RobM on here.
So we may be able to assist.
I did have several programmes but they are up in the loft

The player was Shaun Newton, played for Charlton between 1993 and 2001.

Yes, this is a glass football shaped trophy, I thought this could be the case but wasn't 100% sure. It is a great story and just shows the real strength of fan power !! Having not being able to view any images of the trophy makes it difficult to work out why he would have it, but all the pieces now fit together. Many Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this - much appreciated. If I do decide not to keep this I will post details about it on these forums first as would prefer it to go to a genuine fan.
I think they were only given to the Charlton Players?, the first match played prior to the Charlton game was an Ex-Blues XI with Ron playing alongside most of the team from the Championship winning team of 1980-81 who had travelled from a large part of the UK.(These players were given special Ron Pountney Testimonial Shirts). I was given a couple of the glass ball trophies by Ron about 6/7 years ago.

I was on the committee too, from memory the players were more concerned about getting their wives fed and watered rather than the mementos. Organising the event was a great experience, and as BBTLLO hinted former school-mate Garry Nelson was a huge help. It was logistically challenging too, accommodating four different teams into our two tiny changing rooms, so I gallantly gave up some space and kept the very cheeky Romford cheerleaders (pre-Blue Belles) company in the tunnel. A great night that a real Southend legend truly, and finally, deserved.

I have one of the glass trophys given to me by Ron for my small part in getting this off the ground,i also had a meeting with Harry melted face Rednapp.
Mr Pountney is a natinonal treasure and allround great bloke.

Back